MIDI Merge

Fractal site said:
Merge function to allow Axe-Edit and a midi controller to be used simultaneously (via a multi-port midi interface)
Take into account that (in my understanding) this means you will need dedicated cabling, as if Axe-edit is able to route data between two MIDI interfaces.

terry64 said:
Fractal site said:
Merge function to allow Axe-Edit and a midi controller to be used simultaneously (via a multi-port midi interface)
Take into account that (in my understanding) this means you will need dedicated cabling, as if Axe-edit is able to route data between two MIDI interfaces.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I don't think this is correct.

I think it means there will be more midi in/out ports available via Axe-Edit software to route the midi communication through.

So a 2 in 2 out midi interface like this, will work

pro_1502_1.jpg

That's exactly what I was stating, may be in my bad euro-english. You can have a single device (like the MIDISPORT 2x2, it's exactly the one I have) but it has 2 MIDI interfaces (A and B, call then ports if you prefer). Currently in Axe-Edit you can select one "midi input" interface and one "midi output", may be in the future they'll add the possibility to route thru "another interface" (or "another port", if you prefer).
As I stated, you will need dedicate cabling (always in my understanding).

It just depends on what you mean for interface : for you you have one PC interface with two MIDI ports, for me you have two MIDI interfaces in one device ;)

Hi,

I just received my MFC and can confirm that Axe edit and MFC works well with a Midi Merger and a Midi splitter (Midi thru).

I did a schema of what I did.

Best

Paolo

[attachment=0:1062htf7]MCF 101 midi Merge.doc[/attachment:1062htf7]

Attachments

• MCF 101 midi Merge.doc
    35.4 KB · Views: 242
Hi all,

just want to update my last post with two photos:

>If somebody is interested: The merger-box has four screws under the "MIDI Solution" Sticker - so don't break your box to get through to the PCB, just pull of the sticker and unscrew the top. Then lift the PCB out of the box - it's not glued or screwed - and solder cables from the IN port (I chose IN2 because phantom power comes from my MOTU) of your choice to the OUT port (Pin 1&3) on the downside of the PCB. Pin 1&3 are the outside pins of the socket.They aren't connected to anything.<

[attachment=1:8bhpo9u4]MIDI_Merger.jpg[/attachment:8bhpo9u4]
[attachment=0:8bhpo9u4]MIDI_Merger-2.jpg[/attachment:8bhpo9u4]

With these two wires the MFC communicate via the MIDI Solution Merger with both Axe-Edit and Axe-FX without an additional splitter - very handy.

Again, thanks to Matman.

Attachments

• MIDI_Merger.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 240
  • MIDI_Merger-2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 184
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread - or being incredibly dense - but what exactly is the purpose of soldering IN1 (or IN2) midi pins 1&3 to the OUT port pins 1&3 ???? :oops:
I know it says
With these two wires the MFC communicate via the MIDI Solution Merger with both Axe-Edit and Axe-FX without an additional splitter
but is the wiring as show in Matman's diagram ??

UPDATE: I re-read and yeah. I missed it :oops: :oops: :eek:
Got it now ! :p

UPDATE #2: made the mod - thanks to @Micheal (Germany) for the pix, made it very easy. toughest challenge was finding/cutting/tinning the wire, which I acquired from some old telephone cable I found. IT WORKS !!!
He's my layout as I did not use the 7pin->5-pin layout as show in Matman's diagram.

Midi-merge.jpg

UPDATE #3: Added a wiki entry for this process

Got my MFC-101 last week and did the midi-merge mod yesterday, thank you guys for posting your solutions and thanks Michael for the photo's. Could find the pins myself, but it was much nicer just to "hit the ground running" thanks to your photo's!!

Paolo68 said:
Hi,

I just received my MFC and can confirm that Axe edit and MFC works well with a Midi Merger and a Midi splitter (Midi thru).

Best

Paolo

[attachment=0:pgrso1gc]MCF 101 midi Merge.doc[/attachment:pgrso1gc]

Paolo

Just wanted you to know that I followed your document and got my AxeFX/MFC/MOTU 8 Channel MIDI ExPress/USB/PC set first try. I am editing with the PC and have the MFC working along with the PC. Outstanding. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you took to do that doc.

Anybody else out there looking to get the MFC working with the Axe and your PC get Paolo's doc, and a MIDI Solutions Merger and MIDI Solutions Thru (I got the Quadra Merger and Quadra Thru. Folllow the doc, then launch the Axe PX app. Go in and select the channels you used on your MIDI IF and you have USB working on the PC. No more swapping cables! (Granted I only swapped cables for a couple of days, but it was a PITA that I am glad to be free of). Now I just need to clean up my cabling and I will be good to make music the old fashioned way - copying somebody else! :)

I felt inspired by Matman's excellent idea, but my merge unit wasn't as easy to mod as the one above.
Also, I still wanted to use phantom power from the Axe. Therefore I came up with the following.
I built an extra little box to do the business and it works well. Took a couple of hours to do, but works great.
Parts:
One small plastic box.
One 7 pin chassis din socket
One 5 pin midi lead (cut in half)
One 7 pin plug and cable

Not too difficult if you are handy with a soldering iron.

See diagram

Attachments

• midi-merge-box-3.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 220
joe1871 said:
Paolo68 said:
Hi,

Best

Paolo

[attachment=0:88lji2hm]MCF 101 midi Merge.doc[/attachment:88lji2hm]

Paolo

Just wanted you to know that I followed your document and got my AxeFX/MFC/MOTU 8 Channel MIDI ExPress/USB/PC set first try. I am editing with the PC and have the MFC working along with the PC. Outstanding. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you took to do that doc.

Anybody else out there looking to get the MFC working with the Axe and your PC get Paolo's doc, and a MIDI Solutions Merger and MIDI Solutions Thru (I got the Quadra Merger and Quadra Thru. Folllow the doc, then launch the Axe PX app. Go in and select the channels you used on your MIDI IF and you have USB working on the PC. No more swapping cables! (Granted I only swapped cables for a couple of days, but it was a PITA that I am glad to be free of). Now I just need to clean up my cabling and I will be good to make music the old fashioned way - copying somebody else! :)

For the hard of soldering, I, too, am happy to confirm that Paolo's scheme works like a charm! I can now use Logic Express and my MFC to control my Axe. Life is beautiful. Thanks, Paolo.

KF

blues123 said:
I felt inspired by Matman's excellent idea, but my merge unit wasn't as easy to mod as the one above.
Also, I still wanted to use phantom power from the Axe. Therefore I came up with the following.
Good idea ;) .
But if I have understood you don't need a "modified MIDI Merger" in this case (the standard would fit :D ).
I have a similar idea, but I would like to replace to 5-pins IN1 and OUT connector on a MIDI merge (I don't have it now) with 7 pins connectors.
I don't know if this is possible, it just depends on the layout of the 5-pins connectors soldered on the PCB and on the layout of the PCB-mountable 7-pin connectors we can find.
If the common 5-pins all have the same layout it can be done.
It could be necessary to cut the 2 missing pins to avoid drilling the PCB and use flying wires for pin 6 & 7.
That's all.

Does anybody know the brand and model of the PCB mounted 5-pins connectors ?
(I just wrote to MIDI Solutions to ask if they plan to have a MIDI Merger supporting phantom power and the brand/type of the connectors they use for DIY in case they have no plan for it)

Yes, I did this to avoid modding my merger. It's a Philip Rees model like the one attached.
I may do a proper mod with 7pin sockets etc, but for now this seemed easier.
I may rebox it so I can use the more readily available chassis 7pin sockets as I don't think the PCB version will fit very well in mine.

Attachments

• l2mphoto[1].jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 125
The Wiki is down. Could someone repost the picture of where the soldering takes place on the midi-merger? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom