MIDI Merge

Jerry K.

Experienced
Hello, can someone confirm that a MIDI merge just before the AxeFX will allow Axe-Edit and the MFC-101 to work at the same time? Would it hinder the Phantom power?

Also, what is the purpose of connecting a MIDI cable from the Out of the Axe to the In of the MFC-101? It seems like everything works fine with just the MIDI Out of the MFC-101 to the In of the Axe.

Thanks in advance!

I dont have my MFC yet and am a total midignorant, but I was about to ask the same question ! :oops:

So if anyone having the knowledge is willing to explain where to put a midimerge (and which one to use, there are several different ones available), I'd also be very grateful.

OTOH, it is not very difficult to plug off the MFC when using Axe-Edit, but it would be a lilttle more sexy to have a constant installation with neat cables :lol:
:twisted:

Jerry K. said:
Also, what is the purpose of connecting a MIDI cable from the Out of the Axe to the In of the MFC-101? It seems like everything works fine with just the MIDI Out of the MFC-101 to the In of the Axe.

It's to send tap tempo and tuner info to the MFC.

tgunn said:
UH??? That works with the single connection from MFC midi OUT to Axe IN. There appears to be no need for an Axe midi OUT to MFC midi IN under normal operations. Teh MFC midi IN is needed for firmware updates.

Jerry K. said:

If you have a properly wired MIDI cable, with all 5 pins wired, then one MIDI cable will take care of both in/out between the AxeFX and the MFC.

Lots of MIDI cables are lazy and only have 3 pins wired, so you'd need a separate cable to go from the out of the AxeFX to the in of the MFC, to get tempo, tuner, preset names + states, etc...

And if you want to use a MIDI merger, of course you'll need to use both ports. But a standard merger will only merge going one way, so if you want to use Axe-EDIT and the MFC-101 together, you need something better... I use a MOTU Micro Express and it works.

JustinAiken said:
And if you want to use a MIDI merger, of course you'll need to use both ports. But a standard merger will only merge going one way, so if you want to use Axe-EDIT and the MFC-101 together, you need something better... I use a MOTU Micro Express and it works.

Interesting, but I've been looking on the motu website, and it shows 2 models : Micro Lite and Micro Express.
Which one would be the best ?
Also, I dont see any 7-pins midi connector on either box, so do you have to connect power on the MFC ? You cant use the phantom power on the Axe with this, or am I missing something ?

I use a Micro Express (old version) and it works... that's the only I can vouch for... although someone else said that the old Micro Express XT also worked... they're cheap on ebay.

Yes, no 7pinness... have to power it different.

Right now I'm using a pedalsnake, 2 empty DINs for MIDI, 1 for the power adapter.... One of these days I'm going to order a custom 7pin breakout cable though.

s0c9 said:
tgunn said:
UH??? That works with the single connection from MFC midi OUT to Axe IN. There appears to be no need for an Axe midi OUT to MFC midi IN under normal operations. Teh MFC midi IN is needed for firmware updates.
The "IN" on the AxeFx is actually both out and in. This is not standard nor is sending power over the MIDI cable. Similarly, the MFC "out" is both in and out. The IN on the MFC is needed for a few things: Firmware updates, Tuner, Tempo, stompbox states, preset names etc.

Thierry said:
JustinAiken said:

Interesting, but I've been looking on the motu website, and it shows 2 models : Micro Lite and Micro Express.
Which one would be the best ?
Also, I dont see any 7-pins midi connector on either box, so do you have to connect power on the MFC ? You cant use the phantom power on the Axe with this, or am I missing something ?

I have the Motu midi timepiece AV and will be receiving my MFC on Tuesday. I am planning on running 2 5-pin cables and powering the MFC with the 9VAC adaptor plugged into the wall socket. I'm just a hobbyist and only play at home so I like to have everyting set up with all cables in place where no swapping is required. Getting behind the desk and dealing with the spaghetti world of cables and wires is not a task I enjoy so according the the manual:

(page 4)
The MIDI IN port is used for firmware updates, for remote controlling the MFC-101, or for Axe-Fx 2-way communications if single cable 2-way MIDI cannot be used in a particular setup.

(page 8)
IMPORTANT: Be sure to use a high quality 5-conductor or 7-conductor cable for single cable connections with the Axe-Fx. Every standard MIDI cable has 5 pins on each end, but lower-quality cables may not have all 5 pins wired up! If you are using a MIDI merger or splitter between the MFC-101 and the Axe-Fx, it may not be able to handle the bidirectional communication, requiring you to use 2 independent MIDI cables for Axe-Fx mode to work properly.

I don't believe the Motu can handle bi-directional communication through a single cable but it does have routing software that allows you to manipulate inputs and outputs.

I will let you know how it goes....

Craig

Works like a charm with two 5 pin cables through a merger. No removing cables when changing form MFC to Axe Edit! :)

Here's my solution. It works perfectly. 3 minutes of easy soldering.

midi-merge-box-2.gif

PS: If you get the 5-to-7 from Best-Tronics, you need to specify 7-conductor cable with all pins wired.

I get a MIDI loop, couldn't get Axe-Edit and MFC to work side by side.

My MIDI configuration (with 5-pin cables):

MFC Out and MOTU Traveler Out into a MIDI Solutions Merger into Axe-FX In
Axe-FX Out into MFC In
Axe-FX Through into MOTU Traveler In

When connecting the Through port and calling a presets (via Axe-Edit or the MFC), all devices are going mad. Dumping here, flickering there.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Michael

Instead of the Axe-Fx THRU, you need to connect the Axe-Fx OUT to a MIDI splitter and send it to the MFC in and the MOTU in.

Matman said:
Here's my solution. It works perfectly. 3 minutes of easy soldering.

midi-merge-box-2.gif

PS: If you get the 5-to-7 from Best-Tronics, you need to specify 7-conductor cable with all pins wired.

Which midi merger are you using ?

Matman said:
Instead of the Axe-Fx THRU, you need to connect the Axe-Fx OUT to a MIDI splitter and send it to the MFC in and the MOTU in.

Thanks Matman,
that's what I saw coming ... ;-)

It makes me a bit unhappy that one has to spend some 100+ extra-bucks (Euros for me) for a splitter and a merger to be able to use the MFC with the Axe-Edit in parallel - which in my eyes is critical to hold both the Axe-FX and Axe-Edit in sync with little effort.

Michael

Ok, it's me again.

Matman, you made my day!!!

Just tuned my MIDI Solution Merger the way you described it - it works!

Thank you so much!
Michael

PS: If somebody is interested: The merger-box has four screws under the "MIDI Solution" Sticker - so don't break your box to get through to the PCB, just pull of the sticker and unscrew the top. Then lift the PCB out of the box - it's not glued or screwed - and solder cables from the IN port (I chose IN2 because phantom power comes from my MOTU) of your choice to the OUT port (Pin 1&3) on the downside of the PCB. Pin 1&3 are the outside pins of the socket.They aren't connected to anything.

I just read that the new Axe Edit will have midi thru built in so no need for the merger once the new release is out.

Back
Top Bottom