MIDI issues: Fractal latency & issues?

Does anybody think this might work as a solution?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIevent

That depends. Why is the DMoll not responding correctly to MIDI signal? You can use a MIDI software monitor to see exactly what the FX8 is sending out. The Event Processor can do things like change a CC to a PC. Or it could be used to add a timing buffer between each string of commands.

But it would be a total gamble until you know exactly what the problem is.

Thanks for the reply
I did the software report which presented no unnecessary junk which could be clogging it...but I have to assume there is something in there because DMoll works fine with Joyo & Midi Moose. I think there is another amp (Marshall JS?) that also has midi compatibility issues with the signals fx8 is putting out.

I contacted midi solutions
I may just buy it from Sweetwater and return if it doesn't solve (they already welcomed idea this on a sales call).
If I can not find a solution I'm going to have an awful decision to sell off either the fx8 or DMoll. They sound phenomenal so this midi headache is....not good

I have a theory. I bet the Diezel has the MIDI in jack grounded which is creating a ground loop and corrupting the MIDI data. On MIDI devices the MIDI Out jack should be grounded but the MIDI In jack should not be. The Joyo and MIDI Moose are powered by wall-warts and therefore aren't grounded. The G-System, like the AX-8 uses AC power and is therefore grounded and exhibits the same problem.

So a simple solution would be to cut the ground pin (pin 2) at the MIDI In (Diezel) side.

That would readily explain the intermittency of the issue.

The D'Moll manual indicates that Pins 1 and 6 of the MIDI In jack are both grounded (it's a 7-pin jack). Pin 1 shouldn't be connected to anything per the spec. (Disclaimer: I don't own one, just handy at the Google).

To test, grab yourself a spare MIDI cable, and break off Pin 1 on just one end (you could also break off Pins 2 and 3 on that same end for good measure). Plug the modified end into the D'Moll MIDI in, and the other, non-modified end into the FX8.

That would readily explain the intermittency of the issue.

The D'Moll manual indicates that Pins 1 and 6 of the MIDI In jack are both grounded (it's a 7-pin jack). Pin 1 shouldn't be connected to anything per the spec. (Disclaimer: I don't own one, just handy at the Google).

To test, grab yourself a spare MIDI cable, and break off Pin 1 on just one end (you could also break off Pins 2 and 3 on that same end for good measure). Plug the modified end into the D'Moll MIDI in, and the other, non-modified end into the FX8.

Pin 2 is the important one. Pins 1 is often not wired and even if it is it's NC on the AX-8 end. The AX-8 uses pins 2, 4 and 5. The rest are NC. Pin 2 is ground, 4 and 5 are the data. If the pin 2 is grounded at the Diezel then current will flow in the ground which could corrupt the data.

from Peter Diezel
the midi in jack is not grounded. It´s all industrial standard.

Should I cut up a midi cable anyway?
Is there any danger to the amp or fx8 or me in doing so?

pin2 cut
still far less than 100%

It was worth a shot. Diezel needs to look into their MIDI implementation. Another possibility is their clock is off. MIDI spec is 31,250 baud. If the clock is off data errors can occur, especially if the data is sent fast (short period between bytes). The Joyo, Midimouse, etc. might be transmitting data more slowly than the FX-8, G-System, etc. (because these devices are far more powerful).

I have a midi solutions box that is similar to the above^ arriving tomorrow

If that doesn't work I give up.
I'll likely have to choose between selling off the FX8 and keeping the DMoll (and building a more traditional board) or selling off the DMoll. It drives me insane that these 2 pieces sound so great together but are seemingly incompatible

Ok, I am now reading that line6 Helix works 100% with Diezel. I really love the fx8 but there does not seem to be any indication that there is a fix coming. Please someone tell me otherwise!

Ok, I am now reading that line6 Helix works 100% with Diezel. I really love the fx8 but there does not seem to be any indication that there is a fix coming. Please someone tell me otherwise!
Sold my FX8 too. Between a great amp and an average multi-fx board, the choice was obvious. The FX8 made my diezel noisy (even with humbuster) and suck too much tone out of my amp. I think I'll go the Helix road too.

I'm surprised to hear that, the fx8 into my DMoll sounds glorious and drop dead quiet.
Not interested in spending 100s on a midi box converting to specialty cables to go into my DMoll when the amp already has midi.
Something's got to go, this issue is way too frustrating. It's actually a close call bcause I love the fx8, but 0101010 can't beat a quality amp ever, they get outdated too fast. I may sadly post a FS: fx8 soon...

Back
Top Bottom