Mid-Size solution - FBT Verve 8ma

North said:
This made me think - would adding a subwoofer for (certain) gigs be an option? What would that be like? Would THAT be the dream setup in terms of portability and sound - 2 x 8s for rehearsals and add a sub for gigs? Would that add back the 4x12 thump I am fearful I would miss? Anyone tried a sub with their FRFR setup? I have one in the basement, but no monitors yet.

IMHO, that'd negate the true advantage of this choice. Portability (assuming you have the nice fitted cover, highly recommended) is it's chief advantage. I get that some guys would want two (though I do not); but to also add a powered sub? That's a helluva lot of gear. IMHO.

Scott Peterson said:
North said:
This made me think - would adding a subwoofer for (certain) gigs be an option? What would that be like? Would THAT be the dream setup in terms of portability and sound - 2 x 8s for rehearsals and add a sub for gigs? Would that add back the 4x12 thump I am fearful I would miss? Anyone tried a sub with their FRFR setup? I have one in the basement, but no monitors yet.

IMHO, that'd negate the true advantage of this choice. Portability (assuming you have the nice fitted cover, highly recommended) is it's chief advantage. I get that some guys would want two (though I do not); but to also add a powered sub? That's a helluva lot of gear. IMHO.

Thanks Scott, but could it depend on the use-cases maybe? For rehearsals on could take one or two 8mas to and from home for hands-down unbeatable portability and leave the sub in the band truck for gigs/certain gigs for a great sound and thump (not ariconditioning my legs).

Would that configuration be better than two 12mas? Maybe/maybe not - I have not heard either yet. I just need to get off to test them I guess!

Thanks for the posts/comments though - this site is a great place to learn and get ideas.

Scott Peterson said:
North said:

Thanks Scott, but could it depend on the use-cases maybe? For rehearsals on could take one or two 8mas to and from home for hands-down, unbeatable portability and leave the sub in the band truck for gigs/certain gigs for a great sound and thump (not ariconditioning my legs).

Would that configuration be better than two 12mas? Maybe/maybe not - I have not heard either yet. I just need to get off to test them I guess!

Thanks for the posts/comments though - this site is a great place to learn and get ideas.

Rehearsal was insanely good with the 8ma. I hate having a really good rehearsal before a show... usually I prefer a crappy rehearsal and then the show goes well.

We'll see. Gig tomorrow in (Fabulous) Ferndale, Michigan at the New Way Bar... haven't played there since 1996 or 1997. Like a time warp going back there...

Scott Peterson said:
Rehearsal was insanely good with the 8ma. I hate having a really good rehearsal before a show... usually I prefer a crappy rehearsal and then the show goes well.

We'll see. Gig tomorrow in (Fabulous) Ferndale, Michigan at the New Way Bar... haven't played there since 1996 or 1997. Like a time warp going back there...

Just curious, what type of music are you primarilly playing through the 8ma?

I have been eyeballing those too ...as I wait for my 12ma ...

Little bit of everything. I don't do metal though. :D

Right now, with these guys: www.thesugarpeople.com
Click the music tab on top of the page and check it out. Doing lots of acoustic, electric and (upcoming) synth parts.

Also doing P&W with church every week. Typical Hillsong type of stuff. I tend to not use lots of effects as they do most of the time; more a 'raw' tone guy.

I play rock, pop, R&B, funk, country and most anything else. :D I'm a musical slut. :D

It's 2:18am and I just got back. Dead tired.

Quickie experience with the 8ma on the show.... (*@( YEA!

Wow.

No FOH for anything but vocals (even the violin and cello were not mic'd), so I flipped the little thing around behind me and filled the smaller room we played. Now, note this is an acoustic project and we took it down a notch because ONLY the vocals were in FOH. But the little thing just KILLED it. The spread from the stage with that 100 degree coax was crazy. I walked around at sound check just freaked out.

Mind boggling. No other way to say it. Not only just delivered the goods, it blew me away. Sounded pristine and full. Wasn't even straining.

The whole playing experience was COOL. This thing is a game changer for me.

Sounds great, Scott. Do you just have it on the ground pointing up, or mounted?

North said:
Thanks Scott, but could it depend on the use-cases maybe? For rehearsals on could take one or two 8mas to and from home for hands-down, unbeatable portability and leave the sub in the band truck for gigs/certain gigs for a great sound and thump (not ariconditioning my legs).

Echo... If you test any of them let us know, North :)

Mmh, these FBT Verve series speakers are really intriguing..

This is my playing situation:
- Rather loud rockband with drums, bass and up to two other guitars on stage (our singer occasionally plays the third guitar)
- Many times (more often than not) only the singer and maybe the bassdrum (mic) goes FOH, the rest of the band has to fill the room using it's own backline
- Sometimes the whole backline is miced and goes FOH too

Would you guys say that using one 8ma would be sufficient in that scenario?
Or would i definitely need the higher power of the 12ma for this?
Or wouldn't even one 12ma be sufficient?

As a little background information, here's my current rig:
I am currently using the Axe-Fx going into a ART SLA-2 and stereo into my trusty and nice sounding 4x12", also have a Fryette G2-50-2 on order, but before i finally buy it, i would like to hear about the FBT Verves and FRFR again!
As i may as well just sell the cab and buy one or two FBT FRFRs...
Been discussing with Jay M. about this in another thread, and he brought my attention back to using FRFR not only for monitoring purposes on stage, but also as the single source of sound on stage and going out into the room..

The new cab IRs in 7.08 are just awesome (though only heard them through my studio monitors), and i am currently not using any cab simulation into my 4x12" live.. With the FBT FRFRs, i could just do that..

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me!

Having played with a loud rock band with the 12ma's I can definately state that one should be able to perform as a backline source. You might want to get a floor mount to get it up a little. I don't know whether one 8ma would be enough but I'm inclined to believe that it wouldn't. I use two because I like stereo. Running two I'm able to keep up with the loudest amps (Marshall stack) without breaking a sweat! Remember though, headroom is your friend when it comes to FRFR.

quasimono,

The 8ma won't do in your scenario. No way.

I have not tried a 12ma, but that is NOT what it is designed to do. Speculation, but it is designed as a monitor.

My scenario yesterday night was that I arrived and found that the PA system was just not set up for anything more than vocals. No kick drum, no nothing else in the FOH mix. This is an acoustic ensemble project, so we made due... the entire ensemble is very attuned to the material and the interplay so dynamics are everything. The drummer uses an acoustic kit, but he uses blaststicks, Hot Rodz and brushes (and sticks lightly) throughout the set depending on the songs. With a drummer like him, what I had to do worked. We set our levels based on the unamplified violin and cello that we set up front center stage and worked from there. Just tilted the 8ma back, it's 'natural' position.

In your loud rock band setup, no WAY a 8ma would work as the and only single sound source from stage to the room IMHO. That's just asking too much. Would it work as a self monitor aimed at your head in your situation? Hell yes. But as the single stage driven sound source with no FOH? Hell no.

I'm glad to hear that! I really don't even like lugging around those 50lbs 12ma's so I really wanted the 8's to work. Now I don't have to worry about selling my 12ma's to get the crazy 8's!!!!

Thanks!

Scott Peterson said:
quasimono,

The 8ma won't do in your scenario. No way.

I have not tried a 12ma, but that is NOT what it is designed to do. Speculation, but it is designed as a monitor.

My scenario yesterday night was that I arrived and found that the PA system was just not set up for anything more than vocals. No kick drum, no nothing else in the FOH mix. This is an acoustic ensemble project, so we made due... the entire ensemble is very attuned to the material and the interplay so dynamics are everything. The drummer uses an acoustic kit, but he uses blaststicks, Hot Rodz and brushes (and sticks lightly) throughout the set depending on the songs. With a drummer like him, what I had to do worked. We set our levels based on the unamplified violin and cello that we set up front center stage and worked from there. Just tilted the 8ma back, it's 'natural' position.

In your loud rock band setup, no WAY a 8ma would work IMHO. That's just asking too much. Would it work as a self monitor aimed at your head? Hell yes. But as a stage driven sound source? Hell no.

Thank you Scott!
That's basically what i thought..

Should be looking at those 12ma's then.. But these buggers are expensive..
Damn.. I would really like to be able to use the Axe-Fx to it's full potential, with cab simulation / IRs and so on,
but i really guess i'd need two 12ma's to gain enough headroom for my situation.. And that is far too expensive right now. :(
I currently have a deal with my local store, in that i can return the SLA-2 and pay the difference for a G2-50-2 once it's available (in a few days!).
That sure will be a great sounding combination (Axe-Fx, G2-50-2, 4x12" quad), but not as versatile as a full FRFR setup.. decisions..

And thank you mitch,
so you are using two 12ma's?
How do you have them set up on stage?
behind you going into the room?
or in front aimed at your head and your signal is going FOH?

Best regards,
quasimono

Scott

Thank you, as ever, for your informative posts.

With the 8ma's bottom end dropping off where it does (I think I read 65hz somewhere), will I get in trouble EQing my patches to the 8ma and then find that the FOH send is WAY to big in the bottom because I couldn't hear it on the 8ma's? Is the secret to tune out all stuff below 65hz in each patch?

For me I'm leaning towards to 8ma's rather than 1 12ma.

quasimono said:
And thank you mitch,

Best regards,
quasimono

Yes, I am using two. How I use them depends on whether we use a full PA (then I use the ma's as monitors in front of me) or rely on backline for FOH music. For backline I've been placing them vertically on end and firing straight out from behind me (ala leg a/c!) but I just ordered a pair of stands to get a little extra height.

RichardC said:
Scott

Thank you, as ever, for your informative posts.

With the 8ma's bottom end dropping off where it does (I think I read 65hz somewhere), will I get in trouble EQing my patches to the 8ma and then find that the FOH send is WAY to big in the bottom because I couldn't hear it on the 8ma's? Is the secret to tune out all stuff below 65hz in each patch?

For me I'm leaning towards to 8ma's rather than 1 12ma.

No, you won't get into trouble using the 8ma to dial patches.

Remember, the bottom end doesn't really 'drop' off, it tapers. Like any other speaker. So the bottom end is THERE, and you won't feel like you are playing into a tinny little box (for a reality check, try playing into a TC Helicon VSM300 or the little Mackie alternative). This thing is full and sounds as good or better than a lot of nearfield studio monitors, but with the projection and form factor of a powered stage monitor.

Also remember that most nearfield studio monitors are based around 6" or 8" woofers. There's no issue dialing in tones on those for FRFR.

quasimono said:
Thank you Scott!
That's basically what i thought..

Should be looking at those 12ma's then.. But these buggers are expensive..
Damn.. I would really like to be able to use the Axe-Fx to it's full potential, with cab simulation / IRs and so on,
but i really guess i'd need two 12ma's to gain enough headroom for my situation.. And that is far too expensive right now. :(
I currently have a deal with my local store, in that i can return the SLA-2 and pay the difference for a G2-50-2 once it's available (in a few days!).
That sure will be a great sounding combination (Axe-Fx, G2-50-2, 4x12" quad), but not as versatile as a full FRFR setup.. decisions..

And thank you mitch,

Best regards,
quasimono

I'm not sure why you'd need more than one 12ma. I find that my 12ma fills things up as good as a 4x12. From what I can tell it actually seems to have better dispersion so you can fill things up without having to be as loud. But if you need volume, the 12ma gets way louder than I can stand to be around.

Here's the thing, if you are having to fill a room with your 4x12 rather than going through FOH then your band sound is probably not very good. A 4x12 rig has to be really ******* loud to fill a moderate sized club. That means anyone near the band is getting blasted with guitar and your sound is not well balanced (these would be the folks telling you they can't hear the vocals or keyboards, or anything else coming through the PA). We always run pretty much everything through FOH to achieve a balanced sound.

Don't forget the FBT Maxx4a as a powerful, great sounding mon that costs a bit less than the Verve and is much lighter, iirc.

Back
Top Bottom