Mid-Size solution - FBT Verve 8ma

I really hope the 12ma and the other Verve family monitors all have the same "sound". That way, when we all share patches concieved on the Verve, it won't matter much which size it is.

Hippiedom where are you? at it would be interesting to put the 8, 12, and 15MA all in the same room

Any chance you can come to the NY Amp show?

shoot me an email

Groovey Records said:
Hippiedom where are you? at it would be interesting to put the 8, 12, and 15MA all in the same room

shoot me an email

I am in North Carolina. You are welcome to come over. If you want me at the NY Amp show you better send a limo :lol:

hippietim said:
Groovey Records said:

shoot me an email

I am in North Carolina. You are welcome to come over. If you want me at the NY Amp show you better send a limo :lol:

It would be cheaper to send you a 15 MA :p

hippietim said:
mitch236 said:
What would be interesting is for someone to do a back to back comparo of the 12ma and the 8ma. If I could get away with the 8ma, it would save alot of space and lifting!

I have a 12ma already so I'll be able to do a comparison later this week when the 8ma arrives.
Awesome!

I listened to a couple of Yamaha's on the weekend (just spoken voice), the MSR-100 and MSR-400. The MSR-100 has an 8" driver with tweeter (100W single amp) and the MSR-400 has a 12" driver with tweeter (400W bi-amped). Interestingly, the 8" based system sounded as deep as the 12" system, but it lacked in the high end. That's opposite to what I expected. Adding a bit of treble via the eq on the back brought them quite close to one another. This was only while listening to someone speak into a microphone with each, however. Things might be quite different with a full range signal.

I assume the 8" will sound "smaller". However, it would be really interesting to hear how much of that would be overcome running two of them in stereo. The venue I typically play in runs a stereo FOH. I'm trying to decide if I would be happier with the sound a one 12" system, or two 8" systems running in stereo.

Any comments / thoughts?

Terry.

The first time I had a bass player nearly rip my head off with a compact 2x10 cabinet was the last time I thought you had have big speakers to get a big sound.

Tone Seeker said:
...I'm trying to decide if I would be happier with the sound a one 12" system, or two 8" systems running in stereo.
Any comments / thoughts?
Terry.
Two 8ma's would be a small, but roaring stereo setup. Depends on how addicted you are to stereo. I think two would be more fun than a single 12ma. Also depends on how loud and huge you want your rig. Two 8ma's could get damn loud.

8ma inbound and due here Wednesday. I have a rehearsal that night and a show the next day... I'll break it in by throwing it into the fire (well, using it at a gig). Should be cool. Playing a club I've not played since the late 90's.

Scott Peterson said:
8ma inbound and due here Wednesday. I have a rehearsal that night and a show the next day... I'll break it in by throwing it into the fire (well, using it at a gig). Should be cool. Playing a club I've not played since the late 90's.

Hey Scott, good luck with the gig and please let us know how it goes with the 8MA. I REALLY need a FRFR solution for a gig on the 16th and can't decide whether a 8MA or 12MA is needed (I could really do with the weight/space saving of the 8MA).

Well, it's here.

**** a duck. This thing is insane.

This little bugger (and it's dinky) is the bee's knees. I'm measuring 110db standing 3-4 feet away and it's clear as a bell - no compression or muddiness. It's hardly breaking a sweat. The bottom end is tight as a drum, no flabbiness.

Eric, I owe you a case of beer.

I'd have never believed this.

If this thing holds up on the gig like it just did in a little 30 minute pounding (and I slammed it pretty hard); here is your best size/weight/tone answer I've yet heard for a self monitor FRFR solution.

It won't move sheer air like the QSC. It will be loud enough to hold up to even the heaviest drummer for self monitoring if you aim it at your melon though. I can't imagine you'd lose yourself unless you can't dial in a tone in the first place.

You sometimes KNOW in about 30 seconds that something is extraordinary. This is one of those times.

Hat's off to FBT.

Scott Peterson said:
Well, it's here.

**** a duck. This thing is insane.

This little bugger (and it's dinky) is the bee's knees. I'm measuring 110db standing 3-4 feet away and it's clear as a bell - no compression or muddiness. It's hardly breaking a sweat. The bottom end is tight as a drum, no flabbiness.

Eric, I owe you a case of beer.

I'd have never believed this.

If this thing holds up on the gig like it just did in a little 30 minute pounding (and I slammed it pretty hard); here is your best size/weight/tone answer I've yet heard for a self monitor FRFR solution.

It won't move sheer air like the QSC. It will be loud enough to hold up to even the heaviest drummer for self monitoring if you aim it at your melon though. I can't imagine you'd lose yourself unless you can't dial in a tone in the first place.

You sometimes KNOW in about 30 seconds that something is extraordinary. This is one of those times.

Hat's off to FBT.

I hope it works out live! Let us all know, it sure would be alot easier to cart around the 8 than the 12!

fandyboy said:
Dammit, I just bought a 12MA :( Oh well.

Don't get bummed yet! I have to believe the 12 still sounds better. I want to really audition the pair side by side. If the 8 is all that, then there will be alot of 12's for sale!!

I went for the 12ma because our drummer sounds like a jumbo jet, but from what Scott is saying the 8 can belt out some awesome SPL and still sound good.

If the 12ma sounds like this with more punch and SPL behind it... damn.

The proof is in the pudding though, it's gotta cut the mustard on the gig. Rehearsal tonight, gig tomorrow night. Hang tight... more to come!

fandyboy said:
I went for the 12ma because our drummer sounds like a jumbo jet, but from what Scott is saying the 8 can belt out some awesome SPL and still sound good.
I went for the 12ma because sometimes I'll use it to "help" the PA.
Sunday I have the first gig and I'll see.

Scott Peterson said:
I'm measuring 110db standing 3-4 feet away and it's clear as a bell - no compression or muddiness. It's hardly breaking a sweat. The bottom end is tight as a drum, no flabbiness...If this thing holds up on the gig like it just did in a little 30 minute pounding (and I slammed it pretty hard); here is your best size/weight/tone answer I've yet heard for a self monitor FRFR solution.
It really IS a roaring little beast isn't it? You can't help but shake your head...it's befuddling. The size of the sound and the size of the cabinet just don't match up.

That being said, for all those slobbering over it. At really loud & boomy gigs, bigger cabinets are going to overcome the frequencies (approximate) below 120hz. The lows it puts out are amazing, but it isn't designed to slam/thump your chest like speakers with bigger cone surface areas. It isn't that kind of an animal, but it's still an animal.

Competing against a cranked 4x10 bass player cabinet, or the lows thundering off dual 15 or 18 mains at a really loud gig, you'll still hear yourself, you just won't hear the Uber lows of your tone (the chest thump/vibration part). This is an educated guess, but probably accurate. I just want to set the record straight and head off any misconceptions.

What I like about the 8ma is you'll hear ALL your tone at every gig except the really loud thundering ones, at those you'll hear low mids and up -- and overall tone stays pretty smooth even when it's working hard. It's a cool little monitor.

Anyone who buys the 12ma instead, you won't have any regrets unless you hate the weight. Even the 12ma is small compared to most 12 inch FRFR cabs.

This made me think - would adding a subwoofer for (certain) gigs be an option? What would that be like? Would THAT be the dream setup in terms of portability and sound - 2 x 8s for rehearsals and add a sub for gigs? Would that add back the 4x12 thump I am fearful I would miss? Anyone tried a sub with their FRFR setup? I have one in the basement, but no monitors yet.

Back
Top Bottom