MFC upgrade = total failure

Tommy Tequila

Experienced
It's said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Well, this MFC upgrade has definitely driven me over the edge...

I've had a bricked (Error 14) MFC now for two weeks. All attempts to upgrade it have ended in failure (we are seriously talking about over 150 attempts, at a minimum.) I've followed every thread, tried every random suggestion, switched to different PC's, different cables, used my TC Konnekt 24D, used the Axe USB, made sacrifices to the gods of MIDI and none of it has met with success. Yeah, I know -- I'm a bit obsessive about solving problems myself (I've done PC, studio and artist support and was always the one everyone else turned to when things went south), but this time I have to admit defeat.

So, my fellow FracHeads, please help a brother out. My most "successful" setup so far has been using MIDI-OX on a Dell 710m laptop, AxeFx as USB interface, powered by Cat 5. Using settings of 256/16/90/20 (size/buffers/buffer delay/F7 delay), it gets to 94/95% every time before Error 14. I can try it 20 time in a row, like clockwork with the Error 14. Speeding up/slowing down/tweaking every dang parameter has just gotten me Error 6 or earlier Error 14.

What I'd like to see is the exact settings that HAVE worked for people -- MIDI-OX size/buffers/buffer delay/F7 delay settings. All four, please, it doesn't help when someone just says 'xx worked for me' if I don't know which setting 'xx' refers to...

Thanks in advance,
TT

I feel your pain, I tried this a few weeks back and this is how I got it to work see my old post view the attached jpgs for all settings

Just stay with these settings multiple times and it eventually worked for me. Also try not breathing for one shot :roll Wishing you good luck.

Error 14 is Image Checksum failed... that means the MFC is receiving EXTRA midi data before or after sending the firmware.

But... I have NEVER had any success updating the MFC firmware over USB (thru the Axe2) - it simply will not work.
I can assure you that I have done WAY more MFC upgrades than the average user.... It simply will not work for me, but does for others.
Midi-OX is hit-or-miss for me too, so....

I use the C6 Midi filer + M-Audio UNO (or anniv 2x2) from Ultra days - I kept them - using straight MIDI.
Set C6 on slowest speed and it works pretty much first time every time.

I've done it successfully after receiving numerous errors.
The major change was SLOWING down the transmission and putting 150ms between messages.

Thanks for the quick responses -- I've never heard of C6, downloaded and will try it. I used to use Borne SysEx for Ultra upgrades, worked much better than MIDI-OX for me, but it just won't work for the MFC. No setting I've tried does any more than just get 0% and stays there.

Patzag -- what about F7 delays, buffer sizes, etc.

Thanks again for any suggestions -- I've got gigs coming up and do NOT want to go back to my old, dusty MidiMate!
TT

I used MidiOX, AXE II straight to MFC, I had a few error 14 too before succeeding. I changed the midi buffer size (cant remember to what though). Still needed 2-3 times before 100% success

Click on my sig link for additional instructions using non USB MIDI connection and MIDI Ox in case you haven't seen them already.

Good luck!

Also, make sure you disable SendRealTimeSysEx in the MIDI menu on the Axe-Fx.

Cobbler - Yup, been there, done that, Error 14. Thanks, though.

Yek - Did that, parked on the Preset tab, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions,
TT

M-AUDIO - MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary Edition - 2-In/2-Out USB/MIDI-Interface

Using this and midiox (MIDIOX ) will work. Worked for me every single time and have really updated alot.
I know its not through the axe, but i also know it deff will work.
This will work.. just the device tho' for me. I've never been able to get MidiOx to work with it, and have had more success with Bome's SendSx. I'm now using my old UNO on Win7x64 + the C6 midi filer - set to slowest speed - and it works fine.

FWIW - I have never been able to upgrade the MFC firmware going thru the MIDI OUT on the Axe-II. I have tried countless times without success... but others have been able to make it work fine.
Point being that -- one size DOESN'T fit all. Given the range of hardware/software interfaces, OS releases, driver releases, etc. a failure with one combination does not necessarily mean there's a FAS bug. It IS annoying and frustration for what seems like such a simple problem, but it's also impossible to test every variation that the user community has. So... if one method fails, try another.
Make sure that you also try changing (program and MFC) startup order when doing an upgrade. The midi filers often send "are you there" data at startup, and if the MFC is already in update mode, that can be perceived as firmware checksum (error 14) condition.

s0c9 - Okay, downloaded the C6 midi filer, tried it with the Axe (already set up that way), got to 80-90%, Error 14. Trying it now on my desktop using my TC Electronics Konnectk 24D firewire interface, best I'm getting is a bit over 80%.

What do you use for the ms delay and 'turbo' settings?

Thanks,
TT

(bang, bang goes my head against the wall...)

I'm getting 90% plus before Error 14 (as usual), will try your settings...

Thanks,
TT

Can someone publish the MD5 hash (or aequivalent) of the FW file? Maybe Tommy T simply has a corrupt FW image for some reason.

Skyko - Thanks for the thought, but I've downloaded it multiple times, verified the zip after the downloads, and done binary compares on the extracted files. All check out okay.

Patzag - If I try 150, it wipes out around 60%. Longer times get Error 14 even earlier.

I just seem to be cursed with this entire update. The C6 downloader is consistently crapping out with Error 14 at 96-97% when set to 90 ms, which seems to be the best I get.

Oh, well. Another evening wasted, tomorrow's another day, yadda, yadda...

Thanks to everyone chiming in -- I really do appreciate the help. I have an old eMagic MT4 interface sitting around here, maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

TT

Dunno about MIDIOX, I sued a Mac with USB to Axe-Fx II and then a 5-pin Midi Cable to the MFC-101 (powering the MFC-101 with the CAT-5e connection, no power adapter).
On a Mac (using Sysex Librarian) I go slower on both the delay/pause between messages and the speed. Funnily enough as soon as I found the right setting all upgrades first went wrong (Error 6 or 14) but did succeed on the immediately next attempt: get an error, restart MRC immediately again in FW-Update mode.

HEy Tommy, Sorry to hear. I use a Mac and Sysex librarian, so I could not give you more settings. Looking forward to hearing that you've successfully updated!

Just to tie off this thread...

I did finally get the MFC upgraded by using the oldest interface in the house (a dusty old eMagic MT-4) and an ancient Windows ME USB 1.1 laptop that a cat had thrown up on. Worked first time, so I have to thank everyone here who contributed thought/ideas/sympathy, and also Snookie (the cat) for her contribution as well.

I guess the lesson here is to use the funkiest, junkiest, stuff you have to upgrade that expensive new stuff. Sheesh.

TT

Back
Top Bottom