Metallica GRAMMYs Taylor Swift

it appears she really can sing very well

she can't sing very well. stays on pitch, but her range is so limited and is a very weak singer. i always here the compressors working to boost her volume and she always stays within 6 or so notes in every song.

she writes all her stuff though and is a performer, so that's cool. but definitely not a "very well" singer in comparison to real singers. IMO.

Matt talks to these artists on a daily basis. The quote you have there is out of date. When Matt says Robin has changed to an all Fractal rig he means he has ditched Kemper.

but i saw it on the internet just now!

Being a part of a multi site church campus, the mix down of the music always leaves a bit to be desired. I liken it to hd TV showing all the wrinkles on an otherwise beautiful face. There are a lot of variables that go into mixing for the masses who watch on different systems. If you want the real deal you have to be in the room.

Last edited:
We should be real honest with ourselves and understand if the band wasn't named Metallica, these videos would not be worth sharing/discussing.

but that's what metallica sounds like even with their old rigs. you're right. fractal should immediately stop working with metallica. :)

Sarcasm isn't necessary. I mentioned nothing about not working with Metallica.

A company should do its best to filter what demonstrates their product as much as they can (user youtube videos can't be controlled...but I bet you 1000 bucks gear makers sure wish they could!). Everything reflects back upon Fractal. If they post news feeds about a particular performance using their tool, and the performance is poor (be it mixing, band, performance, recording, etc), the viewer puts the blame, unfairly or not, on the product behind the newsfeed.

Working with industry veterans like Metallica is a major brand booster, but that's what "endorsement' pages are for. People can recognize the importance of a band with such a history. But audio of that same endorsee, should be refined, controlled, and produced directly from Fractal to ensure a properly demonstrated example of the product at hand.

but that's what metallica sounds like even with their old rigs. you're right. fractal should immediately stop working with metallica. :)

Sarcasm isn't necessary. I mentioned nothing about not working with Metallica.

A company should do its best to filter what demonstrates their product as much as they can (user youtube videos can't be controlled...but I bet you 1000 bucks gear makers sure wish they could!). Everything reflects back upon Fractal. If they post news feeds about a particular performance using their tool, and the performance is poor (be it mixing, band, performance, recording, etc), the viewer puts the blame, unfairly or not, on the product behind the newsfeed.

Working with industry veterans like Metallica is a major brand booster, but that's what "endorsement' pages are for. People can recognize the importance of a band with such a history.

I think you are over analysing this.

Dude, I doubt many people outside this forum knows that Metallica even used Axe's yesterday. Let alone judging the Fractal on it.

Fractal haven't exactly been posting ads everywhere stating Metallica use them. Seems to me they are just providing the Metallica guys with a professional service, nothing more, nothing less.

But audio of that same endorsee, should be refined, controlled, and produced directly from Fractal to ensure a properly demonstrated example of the product at hand.

That's not possible, outside of m@ helping them out, you can't "control" an artist's output, that's nuts!

I just don't understand how Metallica got so big when they have 1) Kirk Hammet, the most overrated guitarist of all time 2) Lars Ulrich, the shittiest metal drummer ever to have existed. Oh yeah now I remember... because of James Hetfield and him being so awesome that people can forget #1 and #2.

I just don't understand how Metallica got so big when they have 1) Kirk Hammet, the most overrated guitarist of all time 2) Lars Ulrich, the shittiest metal drummer ever to have existed. Oh yeah now I remember... because of James Hetfield and him being so awesome that people can forget #1 and #2.

Don't forget Cliff Burton, Dave Mustaine.

HA HA! had to laugh...

HUGE blow when Cliff Burton was killed...IMO they never recovered...how could you?

Was he the greatest bass player ever?? No, but he brought something to the band that they sorely needed...drive, energy, charisma, stage presence...and lead bass :)

It's all about the songs to get to their level.

I wouldn't say Hammet and Lars are "bad", but Hetfield is amazing. I actually like his solos better too.

I think you are over analysing this. Dude, I doubt many people outside this forum knows that Metallica even used Axe's yesterday. Let alone judging the Fractal on it. Fractal haven't exactly been posting ads everywhere stating Metallica use them. Seems to me they are just providing the Metallica guys with a professional service, nothing more, nothing less....

There's plenty of internet chatter about this in other forums. Information given on this forum spreads. Fractal has posted plenty on this forum about Metallica using the AxeFx. More importantly specifically pointing out when they are using them on video.

...That's not possible, outside of m@ helping them out, you can't "control" an artist's output, that's nuts!

You can control what you officially announce and direct the public to. They can't control the Grammy's being recorded, but If I was in control of PR, I would wait until the results of said recording before announcing what was being used to help ensure quality control.

Its my guess that Fractal is being run a bit different then typical gear companies. And I do find that pretty refreshing, but as an avid Fractal user, I wish this video was a better representation of what the axe can do, especially when you consider the announcement on the official Fractal forum site will be found in search engines for future possible buyers inquiring on the sound.

Gear makers can't control all demos of their stuff (like I mentioned before) but I would like to think filtering the absolute cream of the crop examples of their product should be done on their official outlets to help make those examples the easiest to find by the biggest portion of prospective buyers.

It's because of the songs. The music business has always been about good songs. Everything else is superfluous including great musical talent, wonderful singing or superb guitar tone. It's been that way since J.S. Bach to The Beatles to the present day.

Why do you think so many talent challenged people become such big stars? Somebody has a great song so they find the right person to look cool, or trendy or whatever doing it.

I enjoy watching someone perform a song that they wrote even if they aren't the most musically gifted musician on the planet. Even more so if I see that it strikes a chord with a listener. That is so much harder than learning to play well.

It's because of the songs. The music business has always been about good songs. Everything else is superfluous including great musical talent, wonderful singing or superb guitar tone. It's been that way since J.S. Bach to The Beatles to the present day.

Why do you think so many talent challenged people become such big stars? Somebody has a great song so they find the right person to look cool, or trendy or whatever doing it.

I enjoy watching someone perform a song that they wrote even if they aren't the most musically gifted musician on the planet. Even more so if I see that it strikes a chord with a listener. That is so much harder than learning to play well.

I would go so far to say some imperfections are endearing to the audience. It can make the performer seem vulnerable and draw in listeners.

I've always thought there were two big camps of singers, the "character" singers, singer songwriter types, e.g. Bob Dylan, Springsteen, etc. and then there are "pure" singers, e.g. Celine Deon, Sinatra, Faith Hill, etc.

Both types are really enjoyable to me, depending on the song.

I've always enjoyed Taylor Swift's music. I think her songs are great and her voice is un-mistakable. I dig it.

she can't sing very well. stays on pitch, but her range is so limited and is a very weak singer. i always here the compressors working to boost her volume and she always stays within 6 or so notes in every song.

she writes all her stuff though and is a performer, so that's cool. but definitely not a "very well" singer in comparison to real singers. IMO.
Liked what I heard. Nice voice, in tune. Didn't put it under a microscope.
That said, I wrote my opinion of the song. That it was mostly in the same register is part of the equation. I don't plan on viewing it again.

You guys are so funny, you have to remember they haven't had rock on the Grammys for a few years now, that's probably the reason, why they are there in the first place. It's funny reading the comments from some of you hacks. You are forum people telling professional musicians how crappy they are, nice. I know your music, is faster better sounding and perfect and award winning, I get it. Just be happy that your style of music is being represented at all, because it hasn't been, for awhile now. It's become a fractured sub genera lost in time, to edm.

Enjoy music, make music, make love to music, that's what it's for. And yes enjoy it when someone you idolize uses the same cool tool as you.

Peace

Smallest-Violin.jpg

love it, does it come in twos for stereo.

You guys are so funny, you have to remember they haven't had rock on the Grammys for a few years now, that's probably the reason, why they are there in the first place. It's funny reading the comments from some of you hacks. You are forum people telling professional musicians how crappy they are, nice. I know your music, is faster better sounding and perfect and award winning, I get it. Just be happy that your style of music is being represented at all, because it hasn't been, for awhile now. It's become a fractured sub genera lost in time, to edm.

Enjoy music, make music, make love to music, that's what it's for. And yes enjoy it when someone you idolize uses the same cool tool as you.

Peace

Sure, but when you see say the Aristocrats perform complex arrangements absolutely flawlessly all for 100 people in a dinky bar in town and then see a bad performance like Metallica's in front of millions - it's disappointing - one expects them to be absolute pro's at what they have done all their life - when they don't perform to one's expectation then you'll hear the roar of the interwebz of course...

Sure, but when you see say the Aristocrats perform complex arrangements absolutely flawlessly all for 100 people in a dinky bar in town and then see a bad performance like Metallica's in front of millions - it's disappointing - one expects them to be absolute pro's at what they have done all their life - when they don't perform to one's expectation then you'll hear the roar of the interwebz of course...

I hear ya, I can imagine it's disappointing, I guess this is where they say, you had to be there. Crowd looked happy. I can just imagine how gloriously loud it sounded.

The crowd also looked happy when all the 70 yr old burnt out pop/country rockers where onstage, so I wouldn't go too much by that crowds reaction. :).

I hear ya, I can imagine it's disappointing, I guess this is where they say, you had to be there. Crowd looked happy. I can just imagine how gloriously loud it sounded.

Reactions: BBN
I'm a bit concerned for Fractal pushing the newsfeed of Metallica using the Axe Fx. Each of these videos of them playing outfitted with the Axe do not sound very inspirational. I honestly feel this is detrimental to the image of Fractal. We should be real honest with ourselves and understand if the band wasn't named Metallica, these videos would not be worth sharing/discussing.

I say this as an AxeFx lover and someone who really spreads the word to all that I can.

Completely agree.

Back
Top Bottom