Mesa Studio Preamp

thing is though, if you watch his instructional vids, it's the same tone. maybe a little bit more lo-fi (VHS quality) ...but it's still the same tone...and it still sounds great. and i know all that stuff about studio recording, this isn't my first rodeo

So what's a Welsh rodeo like?

What about trying the pre yellow? That might be pretty close as well. Simeon, have you ever owned a TriAxis? I have one but have never owned or played a Studio Pre so I'm not sure how they compare. I can't imagine they'd be THAT far apart. They're both preamps based on the iic circuit. I'd like to get one to add to my ever growing Boogie collection lol.

I have a Studio Pre and what I love are the cleans. Some of the fullest tightest cleans I've ever heard and loves pedals.
+100

Along with the silky smooth OD, that about sums it up. I had a few over the years, all great, had a Groove Tubes Trio (nice too), jMP-1 (more sterile but had its own charm), etc, ...studio Pre beats them all for me.

So what's a Welsh rodeo like?

2709441-lg.jpg

I would love to have the Studio-Pre modelled too (Original, no Mods). Yeah, it's based on the Mark series, but it has his own flavor, it's not a IIC (or IIC+) in a rack format.

The perfect example is the Triaxis LD2 Yellow vs the Original IIC+ head. Both are IIC+ circuits, but they have their distinct tone and I love both.

I always put the same example, we have a lot of Plexi style amps... They sound similar but not the same way, it's the same with Boogies. So why everytime someone wants a new Boogie modelled people always say that we have X or Y model that can cope that tone? Yeah, you can get a similar tone with other model but not the same. lt's the same way with plexis... You can get a similar tone with different Plexi models but it's not the same, it's in the Ball-Park.

We have a Diezel Blue and Silver Plate. That's the SAME amp (a VH4) and I'm pretty sure that you can get a similar tone of each other tweaking the Advanced parameters.

We have a Friedman BE/HBE, both based on the SAME amp (BE-100 / Marsha). One darker than the other, but same example, with some tweaking we can get similar tone of each other.

...And on and on.

The point is that I'm always up for new models, that being Boogies, Marshalls, Fenders or whatever. I would never say we have enough X style amps.

I nearly picked up a studio pre this week but talked myself down after playing the IIC+ model in the Axe. Still, you can never have too many models right?

I've got an old Rockmaster pre with the active EQ; will have to spend some time this weekend trying to dial it in against the 5150 model in the Axe.

Anyone here had any experience with the Rocktron Piranha? I've got some pretty similar tones to the Axe FX IIC+ using it, versatile yet underrated pre!

I'd be shocked if it was the same preamp as the iiC+. I was never able to get anything remotely fenderesque out of my IIC+ whereas the studio preamp sounds very fenderesque.

Been gigging a Studio Pre & 50/50 for umpteen years now. Still love it. Been trying to replace it with the AFX for a few months and I've got the IIC tone dialled soooo close, just not the feel, yet... Soon hopefully!
What model are you using to emulate the Studio Pre, and are you leaving power amps sims on?

Back
Top Bottom