Wish Mesa Boogie Studio preamp + a neutral poweramp

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
hi
All nirvana fans will love to have this ! Use in the late of the nevermind tour and in utero tour
I found a schematic

+ can we have a neutral poweramp option in the amp block? i know there is the "tube pre" but thats not a poweramp so ?

Attachments

• TJkn9Zy.jpg
    TJkn9Zy.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 17
Probably just disabling power amp modeling by setting Supply Sag to 0 would be equivalent to a "neutral" power amp. You still get the amplification without the "color".

Probably just disabling power amp modeling by setting Supply Sag to 0 would be equivalent to a "neutral" power amp. You still get the amplification without the "color".
Yes but we don’t have just the power amp section . Can be nice with the jmp etc etc

Unless I misunderstand your post, turning off Sag doesn't give you a neutral power amp. It shuts down the entire power amp part.

Reactions: Rex
hi
All nirvana fans will love to have this ! Use in the late of the nevermind tour and in utero tour
I found a schematic

+ can we have a neutral poweramp option in the amp block? i know there is the "tube pre" but thats not a poweramp so ?

You can turn on the power amp section in the Tube Pre model, by increasing Sag IIRC, and you'll have a neutral power amp, if you keep all tone controls at default.

Unless I misunderstand your post, turning off Sag doesn't give you a neutral power amp. It shuts down the entire power amp part.
Maybe it's a misunderstanding on my part, but my assumption is that turning off the power amp eliminates the color and "interaction" that a tube power amp has.

However, it doesn't reduce the actual amplification (level increase).

I think that would produce an extremely neutral power amp, no?

If we don’t have a power amp only, it’s useless to cut the power amp of the jmp ...
You are missing my point entirely.

What would a neutral power amp add besides volume? If it's really neutral it would add nothing.

If you disable the power amp via Supply Sag you still have the volume but nothing extra. Sounds like a neutral power amp to me... ;)

hi
I found a schematic

Cliff's comments:

"The Tube Pre model is neutral. The "Vintage" tone stack is flat. The Tube Pre model uses the Vintage tone stack. The Vintage tone stack is a passive EQ model but it has a flat response when the controls are at noon. If you want "active" EQ you need to set the type to Active.”

"If you only need power amp modeling, for example when using an external pre-amp through the Axe-Fx, use the Tube Pre model. It uses the Vintage tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon."

In Ares the default is to turn off the poweramp modeling. To turn it on turn up the sag like Yek stated.

I am thinking about something.
When people use an external poweramp and cab , they have the color of 2 poweramp so. They believe that they are playing with the preamp only in the axe but that’s not the case so 🧐

I am thinking about something.
When people use an external poweramp and cab , they have the color of 2 poweramp so. They believe that they are playing with the preamp only in the axe but that’s not the case so 🧐
They disable power amp modeling if it's a tube amp.

They disable power amp modeling if it's a tube amp.
You can disable the power amp section in the amp block ? I read the tricks but I am not sure that people know it . They just turn the cab off in the axe and plug it in an external poweramp and cab

You can disable the power amp section in the amp block ? I read the tricks but I am not sure that people know it . They just turn the cab off in the axe and plug it in an external poweramp and cab
Setting Supply Sag to 0 disables the power amp in the model (as I said in my 1st reply). So yes, in the Amp block.

You can also turn off power amp modeling globally.

Do people know it? Many do... Many probably don't. But just because you don't know doesn't mean it's not possible ;)

Thanks for the tips . I always use the axe as a stand-alone most of the time, but if one day I want to try with a guitar cab I will know this ... everyone I know who use real cabs don’t bypass the poweramp section in the axe 🤦. It seems to sound good like this too but ...

Thanks for the tips . I always use the axe as a stand-alone most of the time, but if one day I want to try with a guitar cab I will know this ... everyone I know who use real cabs don’t bypass the poweramp section in the axe 🤦. It seems to sound good like this too but ...
Probably depends on which amp models they use and which power amp they use.

...everyone I know who use real cabs don’t bypass the poweramp section in the axe 🤦. It seems to sound good like this too but ...
That’s not surprising. The magic in a tube power amp starts to happen when you drive it into nonlinearity. That means running it near maximum volume. Most people running power-amp-and-cab don’t run that loud. The Axe-Fx power amp modeling makes up for that.

Back
Top Bottom