Measuring Latency Axe XL into Logic

mwd

Power User
I recorded some acoustic guitar, via pickup into Axe, and on playback sync was way off. Very visible when tracks enlarged. This is using Logic 9. I know there are some ways to offset the latency and I see the adjustments, however what would be the proper procedure using the Axe via USB. Or can it even be done?

Latency in the Axe is just a few milliseconds—way too low to be audible. Any latency you're hearing is happening in Logic.

Yes try your delay comp in the DAW is on, what I have noticed by chance, it depends also on what USB buffer you choosed in the Axe-fx I/O, you can reduce latency, set it from default 1024 to 64. But its very low latency!

Last edited:
I have the auto plug-in latency compensation on and set to all and recording and I/O buffer set to 32. States it's resulting in roundtrip latency of 2.7 ms. Recording compensation set to 0.

It may be a Logic issue but it didn’t start happening until I started recording via USB with the new XL.

Last edited:
Did you looked at your Axe I/O section , go to page 2 Audio, then scroll all the way down "USB Buffer size"?

Yes. I set it to 64 and it seems to be better. I'm just wishing I could do a loop back and test the actual delay. Just not sure how to do it on the Axe since I'm using USB. My projects are 44.1 and I'm wondering if the sample rate conversion is causing some type of lag.

Apart from that, are you use a cab block in your acoustic guitar preset? When yes maybe set Motor drive to zero, it introduce some Kind of delay,latency.

Yes. I set it to 64 and it seems to be better. I'm just wishing I could do a loop back and test the actual delay. Just not sure how to do it on the Axe since I'm using USB. My projects are 44.1 and I'm wondering if the sample rate conversion is causing some type of lag.

Probably. On-the-fly SRC requires quite a bit of buffering (both ways) which will add latency.

Think I will revert to my old audio interface until I morph into all 48kHz projects. I will still use the USB for on the fly editing and rehearsing the project and then just record the parts analog at 44.1kHz. The signal quality is so overkill on the Fractal I don't think I will have any repercussions.

Guess I won't...lol. Driver outdated since upgrade to Yosemite. Discontinued product. I just love an excuse to buy new gear.

I'm not a Logic use, but I know that most (all?) DAWs have the ability to measure and compensate for both software plugin latency, as well as hardware latency - including any hardware processors you want to use (eg. an external reverb, delay, etc). Often you actually plug an output channel into an input channel, the DAW sends out a "ping" and measures the round-trip time. I've done this in Cubase, and also done it manually. One way to do it manually is to record the click track from your DAW, either by looping an output to an input, or even sticking a mic in front of your monitors. Then zoom in on the waveform and note how many samples off it is from the measure marker. It won't be a perfect square wave, but you can get pretty close. You can use that difference to adjust the playback and/or record latency (or 'offset') in your DAW. I also double check it by recording the click, turning off the metronome, then playing back the track and re-recording it to compare the two copies. Essentially what you're doing when adjusting the offset is telling the DAW "shift the track I just recorded forward in time n samples".

Yes I've read up on it in Logic. Basically placing a cable from Output 1 to Input 1 and inserting and I/O plug-in on channel 1 and pinging. However since I'm using the USB on the Axe as my path to/from Logic it kind of throws me as to how to attempt this.

Back
Top Bottom