MC-6. Small, fully programmable midi controller

Just to add on, my requirements are simple. Just use Bank Up/Down to change presets. While in presets, use the individual buttons to change scenes. Leave one button for tap tempo.
Here's a short example of how I do it. Hopefully it'll get you started.
1. Use Chorme, go to http://editor.morningstar.io/
2. Connect your 5pin midi cable between the MC6 & Axe (If you're using the midi 7pin cable, DO NOT USE POWER FROM THE AXE) during this procedure.
3. Plug one end of your usb cable to your PC or MC6 then hold button A on the MC6 and plug in the other end. It'll power up and you should be in the edit mode after that, then refresh Chrome, the Editor should recognize the MC6.

Examples:
Note: Activate or step on a switch that you want to edit 1st then make your edits.
To bank up press B&C, to bank down press A&B on the MC6.
To find out what midi control # are on the Axe, go to I/O, page over to CTRL.

The 1st screenshot shows the MC6 Bank1 switch A calling preset 001 of the Axe.
Bank1A.jpg
The 2nd screenshot shows the MC6 Bank1 switch B calling preset 002 of the Axe.
Bank1B.jpg

3rd screenshot is what I use to control my EXT CTRL 1 of the Axe.
expression.jpg

Last edited:
Understood. Is there a song/set list function in the controller? My band uses several different set lists (same songs, in different orders), and rotates them at random to keep it fresh for the regulars and for ourselves.

There's no song/set list function. The MC6 stores all your 12 presets into banks of 30.

How would a song/set list function work in this case?

There's no song/set list function. The MC6 stores all your 12 presets into banks of 30.

let's say you have 4 presets for different sounds. in addition to that Preset "layer" there would be another "layer" or Mode for Songs, which would allow you to arrange up to 20 Presets (for example) in a particular order.

so even if your presets were 1-Clean, 2-Rhythm, 3-Lead, 4-Effects, in that order, you could create a SONG where you could put the presets in order like 2,3,2,1,4,2,4,2... and so on. then you just press "Next" over and over as you play. a Set list is yet another "layer" and it groups Songs in a particular order.

i think the MC6 definition of "Preset" is a bit different than what Axe-Fx users think of though. so the Song concept might not make sense on the MC6.

The Lk Butler midi midigator had up to 3 set lists.You took from main memory and arranged in those sets in any order you liked.
I don't miss it at all. The MC6 does more of whats important, except for memory limits, banks. Functionally,the MC6 does it all, I don't need sets or more banks. Maybe more CC pedal ports. It's a well thought out and easy to use midi controller, best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

I can map the MC-6 presets to the Axe-Fx and other device presets to make a pseudo set list. But would like to see a 'scroll up' and 'scroll down' option that scrolls through the MC-6's presets (not the other devices presets), and displays the MC-6 preset name when scrolling (similar to when you select a preset directly).

This would allow me to scroll up and down through the MC-6 presets and access 4 scenes all from a single MC-6 'Bank'

Or, I could have up to 12 songs in a bank, using an alternate PC for each switch (12 song set lists). Then put a 'scene' bank in between each 'Set' bank to minimize banking up several times to reach the higher number set lists (banks).

Example:
  • Bank 1 - Set 1
  • Bank 2 - 5 Scenes and a tuner
  • Bank 3 - Set 2
  • Bank 4 - 5 Scenes and a tuner
  • Bank 5 - Set 3
  • Bank 6 - 5 Scenes and a tuner
  • Bank 7 - Set 4
Still kinda clunky? select a song/preset, bank up to use scenes, bank down, select the next song/preset (if I can remember which one I selected last), bank up to use scenes, bank back down, select the next song/preset, etc.........

It would be great if the alternate PC changes would display an alternate preset name as well.

I can map the MC-6 presets to the Axe-Fx and other device presets to make a pseudo set list. But would like to see a 'scroll up' and 'scroll down' option that scrolls through the MC-6's presets (not the other devices presets), and displays the MC-6 preset name when scrolling (similar to when you select a preset directly).

This would allow me to scroll up and down through the MC-6 presets and access 4 scenes all from a single MC-6 'Bank'

Or, I could have up to 12 songs in a bank, using an alternate PC for each switch (12 song set lists). Then put a 'scene' bank in between each 'Set' bank to minimize banking up several times to reach the higher number set lists (banks).

Example:
  • Bank 1 - Set 1
  • Bank 2 - 5 Scenes and a tuner
  • Bank 3 - Set 2
  • Bank 4 - 5 Scenes and a tuner
  • Bank 5 - Set 3
  • Bank 7 - Set 4
Still kinda clunky? select a song/preset, bank up to use scenes, bank down, select the next song/preset (if I can remember which one I selected last), bank up to use scenes, bank back down, select the next song/preset, etc.........

It would be great if the alternate PC changes would display an alternate preset name as well.

Thanks for the inputs @Moke! We are working on adding some new features to the next firmware now but I'll re-visit your feedback real soon!

The Lk Butler midi midigator had up to 3 set lists.You took from main memory and arranged in those sets in any order you liked.
I don't miss it at all. The MC6 does more of whats important, except for memory limits, banks. Functionally,the MC6 does it all, I don't need sets or more banks. Maybe more CC pedal ports. It's a well thought out and easy to use midi controller, best bang for the buck.
Man, I loved my Midi Midigator. That was a good pedal for its day.

Sleestak,
Just retired my customized Midigator, when I purchased the MC6. Lk Butler burnt me a custom rom chip with a special momentary mode. If a preset was programmed with it enabled, when you released the preset foot switch, it would return to the previously selected preset foot switch. This enabled me to do toggle functions. I figured this midi controller does everything except the simplest midi function of them all, a simple keyboard type sustain pedal. I conveyed this to Lk Butler and he programmed an upgrade rom for me. That was back in the 80's. I also had their FC4, which was 4 continuous controller pedals on a slab. Each pedal could be assigned to send multiple cc's on multiple midi channels at the same time, each pedal having its own multi cc response curves; log, linear, square, rev log, rev linear, rev square. You could program it from its on-board keypad or send it assignments thru midi sysex from the Midigator. I sold the FC4 years ago. It wasn't until the Morningstar MC6 that I found something so pleasingly ingenious, comprehensive but simple to use to replace the Midigator. I have one custom Lk Butler Midi Midigator controller for sale, cheap

Hi all. I am looking for some guidance using the MC6 with an AX8. I am new to midi so I just want to ensure that I am not making incorrect assumptions before I order the unit.

Can I set up the buttons on the MC6 to be global scene select functions or global effects on/off ? IOW if I program a button on the MC6 to select Scene2, will it select Scene2 for whatever preset I am using on the AX8 ?

I want to be sure that those functions listed above do not have to be programmed on the MC6 for every AX8 preset.

Thx

Can I set up the buttons on the MC6 to be global scene select functions or global effects on/off ? IOW if I program a button on the MC6 to select Scene2, will it select Scene2 for whatever preset I am using on the AX8 ?

Yes. AX8 MIDI assignments are global, so scene selection will always be the same MIDI CC # and value, regardless of preset. Even the per-preset options, like maybe you have External Controller 5 assigned to Reverb Hold in one particular preset, is still essentially global - External Controller 5 can only have one MIDI CC assigned to it globally.

Yes. AX8 MIDI assignments are global, so scene selection will always be the same MIDI CC # and value, regardless of preset. Even the per-preset options, like maybe you have External Controller 5 assigned to Reverb Hold in one particular preset, is still essentially global - External Controller 5 can only have one MIDI CC assigned to it globally.
Thanks very much for the info - that was exactly what I was after. I will soon be starting to use MC6 with the AX8 and I wanted to confirm the AX8 side of the equation.

I wonder is it possible to order one of these things in a custom chassis? I'm looking to have six buttons on a single row so longer chassis and maybe even space the buttons out a bit more. My intent is to use this for scene selection only so It would be my main stomps during songs, then I could keep the AX8 buttons freed up for other functions. I need a single row because it's much easier to stomp for me. Anyway please pm me if this is possible and let me know how much I'm looking at for a one off. Thanks!

I wonder is it possible to order one of these things in a custom chassis? I'm looking to have six buttons on a single row so longer chassis and maybe even space the buttons out a bit more. My intent is to use this for scene selection only so It would be my main stomps during songs, then I could keep the AX8 buttons freed up for other functions. I need a single row because it's much easier to stomp for me. Anyway please pm me if this is possible and let me know how much I'm looking at for a one off. Thanks!

Hey @Tahoebrian5 , thanks for the request! Unfortunately we are not able to make it in a custom chassis.

I just got my MC6 in the mail today, and so far it's looking to be very promising... except that I've hit a pretty big connectivity snag.

I'm having trouble setting up my MC6 to work with both my AxeFX II (Mk II) and RAC12 (Mk II). When I plug the MC6 directly into the AxeFX via MIDI cables, everything works fine. However, when I introduce the RAC12 into the path, the MC6 messages no longer reach the AxeFX. Here's my setup:

AxeFx II MIDI Out (bidirectional) <-> RAC12 MIDI In (bidirectional)
Rac 12 MIDI Merge <- MIDI Y-cable -> MC6 MIDI In/Out

I've been using exactly the same setup with a BJ Devices TB-5 and it's always worked fine without any special configuration. The MC6 is smaller, with more functionality, so I'd like to switch over to it, but as of now, I can't get it to connect properly.

The reason why I'm using the 'merge' on the RAC12, rather than the In/Out is so when I use my AxeFX without a foot controller, the MIDI signal path isn't broken between the AxeFX and RAC12. I use a Vafam patch bay in my rack so I don't have to go digging around back plugging and unplugging cables.

Thoughts?

I've been using exactly the same setup with a BJ Devices TB-5 and it's always worked fine without any special configuration. The MC6 is smaller, with more functionality, so I'd like to switch over to it...
Sorry for offtop:) How do you think what kind of functionality is missing in TB-5 midi controller?

Sorry for offtop:) How do you think what kind of functionality is missing in TB-5 midi controller?

Don't get me wrong! I still really love the TB-5. It fits my needs about 95%. Really the only thing the MC6 has for me as an advantage is the ability to map many more sets of functions to each button (30 banks of buttons), and I had some issues getting the TB-5 to work with the "Once" command on the looper, though I may have been programming it incorrectly (the button would work OK on the first press, but wouldn't retrigger. I might've had the wrong CC type programmed).

I had been going back and forth between the TB-5 and the MFC. The MFC for gigs where I need the looper or more effect controls. However, the TB-5 is what I used for most of my gigs. The MC6 is really replacing the MFC for me, rather than the TB-5.

Don't get me wrong! I still really love the TB-5. It fits my needs about 95%. Really the only thing the MC6 has for me as an advantage is the ability to map many more sets of functions to each button (30 banks of buttons), and I had some issues getting the TB-5 to work with the "Once" command on the looper, though I may have been programming it incorrectly (the button would work OK on the first press, but wouldn't retrigger. I might've had the wrong CC type programmed).

I had been going back and forth between the TB-5 and the MFC. The MFC for gigs where I need the looper or more effect controls. However, the TB-5 is what I used for most of my gigs. The MC6 is really replacing the MFC for me, rather than the TB-5.
Thanks for the info! You possible need to install latest firmware - any CC type settings implemented in there, so looper should works with in with no problem

We're hoping to get a couple of users to test our Preset Manager software for feedback. It has been tested on OSX El Capistan (minimum to run is 10.9 Mavericks) and Windows 8.1/10.

What the software allows you to do:
1. Download and upload your Controller/Bank/Preset/Expression data
2. Bank up/down and Copy/Paste banks and presets via the software.

20571qh.png

Do drop me a PM/Email if you would like to give it a go:)

Last edited:
We're hoping to get a couple of users to test our Preset Manager software for feedback. It has been tested on OSX El Capistan (minimum to run is 10.9 Mavericks) and Windows 8.1/10.

What the software allows you to do:
1. Download and upload your Controller/Bank/Preset/Expression data
2. Bank up/down and Copy/Paste banks and presets via the software.

20571qh.png

Do drop me a PM/Email if you would like to give it a go:)
YES! Been waiting for this. Emailed.

Back
Top Bottom