Matrix Stuff!

Hi guys, hope you can help!

Been out of the axe game for a while, my axe ultra and matrix gt800fx were lost on a fly date to russia and I been amp'in it for a while. I now have an axe fx 2 and wondered what you guys thought were my best options. I'd love to go back to matrix gear, I remember Matt was second to none and Andy was especially gracious showing me round his workshop talking watts and volts. And the amp sounded amazing!!

I'm thinking about calling them to talk about the possibility of a gt1000fx and passive cab or their active cab, what are your thoughts!!??

I know how helpful this forum was on my first time round so hope you can help again!

Thanks!!!!

Hi guys, hope you can help!
I'm thinking about calling them to talk about the possibility of a gt1000fx and passive cab or their active cab, what are your thoughts!!??

Basically you have answered to yourself and you have given yourself perfect solution.

In short words: Call'em. Ask'em. Smile & buy. ;)

Reactions: LVC
Well welcome back. I have a few different solutions that I currently use at different times for different situations. I have a Matrixgt1000FX going into an old Vetta cabinet, which sounds amazing. I also have a QSC K10 that I have had for a few yrs, and I'm currently on the waiting list for the CLR. To me More is More and More is good. My philosophy is that FRFR is the way to go. The reason I say that is because I feel that IR's are half your tone in my opinion, and not being able to use those would be criminal.
If you asked me what solution sounds better, out of my possible options, I would say they all sound good for what they are meant for. The Matrix is as loud as you could ever possibly need, unless you want louder of course, thats what the 1600 model is for. The QSC is compact and small and has two inputs, which is good when you want to get rid of the monitor, that the house gives you and just add their monitor send to yours. The CLR which I don't have yet, will give me the 90 degree dispersion that I need, I hate hovering over my QSC.

So all in all, you would not be disappointed with the Matrix I promise you. You might go for the 1600 version as well if you want more headroom.

You have come back at a great time, as there is a plethora of options out there now. I'm looking forward to hearing what this Atomic CLR can do. The AXE-FX II is pretty amazing tool and plugging anything into it, is better then the alternative.

Yea definatly give them a call. Specially with the new 2*12 FRFR they are working on.
I for one am really looking forward to hearing more about that one.
The Q12 is also an amazing box, so yes you are heading in the right direction :).

Thanks!

I've got an FBT active monitor and it sounds good, and it sounds good through FOH, I'm happy with whAt I'm hearing on those bigger stages playing in function bands etc etc

However, my passion lies with blues and I play in the odd blues band, it is essential to me that playing mic'd or un mic'd the sound I'm hearing sounds and "feels" as amp like as possible. I'm not enjoying the FBT monitor as much when playing this genre. I guess your choosing the CLR over the Matrix active box?

I guess in Time I'm choosing both. My point is that since I don't have Gas for more amps, I guess my Gas will be for more speaker options. You really can't go wrong with any of them, if you ask me.

Some rewiews say they like the Matrix better then the Atomic, some say the other way.
Think both are very high end, and trying them yourself is the only way to know what works best for you.

Yep, I agree whole heartedly.

I'd go for the Matrix three-channel amp, but not their cabs which given the drivers they use seem over-priced. I'm really happy with the speakers and cabs I use (see below - the Scum Back for quieter venues or in combination with the others).

If using guitar cabs on stage, you'd bring the backline feed out of Output 2, before the cab sims - which you need for FOH. The trick with this is matching cab sims to the actual cabs you're using on stage.

BUt as the FX2 amp sounds use frequencies beyond those handled by normal guitar cabs, I use the EVMs which are more full-range than guitar speakers. The Scumback is for having a good sound at lower volume - but I do really like using both speakers together, mixed using the MAtrix volume levels.

Using Ultra and some guitarcabs on stage myself. To get (almost) the same sound from Out 1 and 2, put a good flat microphone in front of the cabs record some playing and match the same playing with the FOH sound. Matching is done with the Clark Kent method. Result is an IR I use in the Out 2 route to the guitar cabinets (yes it works). This way lots of flavours from your guitarcabs are still possible. Had the EVM12L but found them to damned heavey. Now using V30 with G12K-100 combo. Done

The EVMs are heavy - but as they handle 200 watts continuous and are very efficient, you only need one. I also have two 2x12's loaded with JBL E120's (for playing bass). They're heavy....

The EVMs are heavy - but as they handle 200 watts continuous and are very efficient, you only need one. I also have two 2x12's loaded with JBL E120's (for playing bass). They're heavy....

Evs are my all time favorite speakers --- As a matter of fact I still have a couple of vintage ones ---

I just can't use them -- they are way too heavy for me. My back is so screwed up that if I lift anything in the 35 plus range it could go out.

All my cabs during my Dumble "Clone" war days had Evs in them.

Weight was one of my main reasons for leaving the AC30 at home and buying the Axe for gigging. But then the Axe also does everything else too, and is so much easier to record... Keeping each component as light as possible is the game. But a 1x12 with an EVM isn't too bad.

I like keeping my poweramp separate from my cabs. I've a Matrix GT1000FX (1U) ... which is ridiculously light to carry in a rack and I'm scouting for passive FR cabs to try out with it - you can probably guess which 2 are on the short list. Having the poweramp separate opens up a few options to play around with

I can use the Matrix with either a couple of conventional 1x12s or a 2x12 open back loaded with EVs or I can switch the Axe to old stye preamp mode (Sag off Cabs off) and use my Mesa 50/50 (which definitely is not ridiculously light - but has it's own good thing going on too).

It's nice to have the choice because the Axe accommodates them all ...... and gives me the excuse to hang on to some old friends who I really don't want to sell after many years of faithful service.

I like keeping my poweramp separate from my cabs. I've a Matrix GT1000FX (1U) ... which is ridiculously light to carry in a rack and I'm scouting for passive FR cabs to try out with it - you can probably guess which 2 are on the short list. Having the poweramp separate opens up a few options to play around with

I can use the Matrix with either a couple of conventional 1x12s or a 2x12 open back loaded with EVs or I can switch the Axe to old stye preamp mode (Sag off Cabs off) and use my Mesa 50/50 (which definitely is not ridiculously light - but has it's own good thing going on too).

It's nice to have the choice because the Axe accommodates them all ...... and gives me the excuse to hang on to some old friends who I really don't want to sell after many years of faithful service.

Have a Q12 with my Matrix amp and I am very happy with it.

Looking to add the Matrix 2x12 when it comes out as well.

I think between going for an active cab or passive cab + power amp is down to personal choice and what you prefer.

Personally I've gone for a Matrix GT1500 and have a single Matrix passive wedge right now and it sounds great.

My reason for this is I already have my Axe-II in a rack with a power conditioner and had space for the 1500.
Means all power is one cable out of the rack and only speaker cables going out to cabs plus it give me
the option of running into a 4x12 if should want to do so.

With powered cabs/wedges then you have to run power as well as signal cables to them.

Like I said, personal preference really.

Which ever way you go the guys at Matrix, Matt, Pete & Andy are great to deal with.

Mark

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom