Matrix Stuff!

My personal take here:

Get the GT1000, or the 1600 for more headroom, or the 1500 if you want 3 channels.

From there you can go into a passive cab, EITHER a traditional cab for those blues sessions or a passive FRFR cab. Both Matrix and Atomic have passive versions of these that can be driven by the Matrix amp. Its a little more expensive to go the separate route - but the versatility/options are better IMO.

If you want lightweight - Matrix's new 2x12 traditional cab is stupid light. Im assuming there using neo drivers.

Got to put in that my 2/50/2 tube power amplifier feeds a 16 Ohm 2-12 stereocab way mutch more output volume than my matrix GT 1000 ( 2x 150W at 16 Ohm). I prefer the Matrx for more easy FX tweeking..and the volume is high enough. The cleans & rock tunes sits better with the Matrix. If I were a pure bluesman I`d go for the VHT. The Classic leadtones sings out really well with this tube PA in my opinion.

Both Matrix and Atomic have passive versions of these that can be driven by the Matrix amp. Its a little more expensive to go the separate route - but the versatility/options are better IMO.

True. But - talking about the CLRs - the overall performance will be better with the active cab, according to Mr. Mitchell himself. The DSP, and the optimized match between poweramp and loudskeaper make for a superior performance.

OTOH, versatility apart, the Matrix route will give a lighter rig overall, and you've more freedom\easiness to change cab in the future.
As for me, I'm planning to go active CLRs, since I'm interested in monitoring my studio work as well and in playing some other instrument - and maybe some vocal - through them and they exhibit a greater linearity and transparency than the Matrix cabs.

Using GT1000 and two Matrix CFR cabs with an Ultra.

Very satisfied.
Great tone. Massive headroom and very portable.

Gt1000 FX adds very little weight to your rack while the passive cabs are light and really punchy
Very nice rig and now preoccupied with making some music.

Using GT1000 and two Matrix CFR cabs with an Ultra.

Very satisfied.
Great tone. Massive headroom and very portable.

Gt1000 FX adds very little weight to your rack while the passive cabs are light and really punchy
Very nice rig and now preoccupied with making some music.

Me to!

I tried both solutions the Atomic CLR and the matrix amp/Q12 solution.

I also did two gigs with the CLR and 1 gig with the Matrix amp/Q12 combo.

CLR was returned and I kept the Matrix amp/CLR.

I have another gig tomorrow night and it will be with the Matrix/Q12

It will be my 6th gig in 6 weeks with the Fractal since I got it around 7 weeks ago

First gigs with the Verve 12ma (not bad on the second with the Merlin corrective IR)
Two gigs with the CLR - a Honeymoon gig (same day I received it) and a reality gig - when I realized it was not for me
One gig with the Matrix/Q12 - had it for a few days prior so honeymoon was over -- ears tuned - it sounded fantastic
Tomorrow night is gig two with the Matrix GT1000FX/Q12 cab.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the new Matrix 28 pound 2x12 cabinet when it comes out.

could be a complete game changer for me or maybe not --- LOL

Reactions: Ole
I've got my GT1000FX and a pair of CFRs on order as of today. Been dealing with Matt on the phone and via email. Their advice and customer service so far has been nothing short of exemplary.

Just need to get this four day weekend out of the way so that it can all be delivered!

I thought the CLR active and passive versions had exactly the same response - according to Jay ?? OK that does mean you need a decent power amp as that can change things, but shouldnt be an issue with the Matrix offerings.

I was going to go with the cheapest, which I assumed would be the Matrix in the UK, but given the info so far, there pretty much on par. Makes the choice damned hard. Both have return policies though, so I guess its pick one and try it. Return if not happy.

This is the way I envision my live rig using a Matrix 2x12, Matrix Wedge and the Matrix GT1000FX

The Matrix Wedge will be used for monitoring -- the 2x12 will be my BL

Best of both worlds!

Will need to re-work block routing and create versions of my presets for this type of setup when the time comes

Matrix_rig3_zps72f13a2a.jpg

Last edited:
This is the way I envision my live rig using a Matrix 2x12, Matrix Wedge and the Matrix GT1000FX

The Matrix Wedge will be used for monitoring -- the 2x12 will be my BL

Best of both worlds!

Will need to re-work block routing and create versions of my presets for this type of setup when the time comes

Matrix_rig3_zps72f13a2a.jpg

If you have your FOH sounds (with Cabs) coming at you from the wedge, plus your backline sound through a 2x12 from Output2 without Cab sim, you will have problems.

I had the simliar thing by mistake, when the sound guy thought I looked like I wasn't getting enough volume from my backline ( 1x12 Scumback and 1x12 EVM thru a GT800). He gave me some of my FOH through my wedge, which was very confusing as the two are not exactly the same even though I've got cam sim that equate to my backline cab sound. I didn't know he'd done this until the break when I complained about how it was all sounding. He took my guitar out of the wedges and it was fine again.

I can't think why you'd need to have two cabs like this. If you work with good PAs, then you can leave all your backline at home rather than buy your own wedge! I prefer my own guitar backline - old school... and adjust the balance with everything else by turning up/down the GT800 - and the sound guy.

If you have your FOH sounds (with Cabs) coming at you from the wedge, plus your backline sound through a 2x12 from Output2 without Cab sim, you will have problems.

I had the simliar thing by mistake, when the sound guy thought I looked like I wasn't getting enough volume from my backline ( 1x12 Scumback and 1x12 EVM thru a GT800). He gave me some of my FOH through my wedge, which was very confusing as the two are not exactly the same even though I've got cam sim that equate to my backline cab sound. I didn't know he'd done this until the break when I complained about how it was all sounding. He took my guitar out of the wedges and it was fine again.

I can't think why you'd need to have two cabs like this. If you work with good PAs, then you can leave all your backline at home rather than buy your own wedge! I prefer my own guitar backline - old school... and adjust the balance with everything else by turning up/down the GT800 - and the sound guy.

routing in axe will have signal with cab sims going to wedge.

I will use wedge for monitoring -- vocals/keys/guitar and maybe bass (I think he can give me a line out).

Just to note -- we typically (90% of the time) do not mike up. The clubs we play have no FOH system. You show up -- set up and play.

Our current vocal monitoring system sucks and the keys which is also not going through the PA sometimes with the organ gets a little out of control.

If I am going to add an extra monitor -- this might be a better solution for me.

The backline will still be my primary amplification source (wedge/cab or traditional) -- I like to feel the music hitting me from behind (old school). I just like it that way. Hearing guitar coming up from a monitor in front of me (without an amp behind me or near me) just does not feel right to me. It never has -- and I suspect it never will.

I might end up just putting the keys and guitar into the mixer to feed through the monitors without going through PA so we can hear it mixed with the vocals -- just to give the keys and me a better sense of the overall mix.

It is tough -- we have very strong vocals in the band (except for me -- I can't carry a tune for the life of me) with a lot of fairly complex harmonies -- but sometimes (principally because of monitoring - I think) the keyboard vol creeps up and he takes over the mix and drowns everybody out) --- Great player but he is a little difficult to deal with and very set in his ways -- so I need to find solutions - this might one.

Regardless -- for me BL amplification is what I like and I am use to and I am not going to change (I am a little difficult as well )

I just might end up using the 2x12 and keep the wedge or cube for home use or when we are forced to play in very tight places.

Last edited:
If your monitor is not for your guitar, then don't buy the Matrix. It certainly won't take bass or keys - maybe keys, but safer not to.

If your monitor is not for your guitar, then don't buy the Matrix. It certainly won't take bass or keys - maybe keys, but safer not to.

Once I have everything in house -- I am going to set up a "sound check" rehearsal at a community theater I have access to.

I will also go pickup a traditional monitor at GC (45 day return policy - thank you very much!) and try and figure out what works best for us.

We need to get this done -- now with the Axe I have a real excuse (I can take all the blame) and not step on any egos.

We are all a bunch of old farts (except our female singer) and when I tell you we are busy as a band -- that is an understatement.

Next weekend is the second weekend we have had off since January. However, next friday I have to drive to Boston from NJ for a 9:30 AM meeting -- so I my back will still end up beat to shit that weekend as well - LOL.

Last edited:

I did not think of the issue you brought up and it sounds like it could be problemtatic - if I bring the 2x12 route to the a gig -- maybe I should just mike the cab (if need be). If I bring a wedge or a passive cube -- then I could go FOH etc -- makes a lot of sense.

I prefer my own guitar backline - old school... and adjust the balance with everything else by turning up/down the GT800 - and the sound guy.

Very old school here as well.

I am 57 years old and having been playing in bars and clubs since I was a teenager. I have no clue how many gigs I have done over the years but I was to guess, I would have to say the number easily well over 1,000 plus gigs --- all with tube amps behind me.

One of the things I found is that the Matrix amp with a passive cab at my back gives me a more of a real amp/cab feeling. Not as good as the real thing -- but significantly better than the active cab solutions I owned and tried which felt more like I was playing through a stereo system than a real amp/cab.

I can't wait to try the Matrix 2x12 cab

I'm pretty sure from what I've read that you could have the cab sims for output 1 for FoH and/or your passive cab and configure output 2 without cab sims. E.g.

Output 1, with cab sims (balanced) >> FoH
Output 1, with cab sims (unbalanced) >> Channel 1 on the GT1000 >> Q12
Output 2, no cab sims >> Channel 2 on the GT1000 >> new Matrix 212 cab

This would meet all your configurations from one patch, without having to mic anything.

I'm hoping this is right as I want to do something very similar.

Is this just your opinion, or do you have facts to back up that statement?

It's a sum of things, readings, memories, investigations... Not sure whether I've envisioned a Matrix' amplitude response, but pretty sure it's not 70-15,000 +\- 2.5 dB

I thought the CLR active and passive versions had exactly the same response - according to Jay ?? OK that does mean you need a decent power amp as that can change things, but shouldnt be an issue with the Matrix offerings.

Well, consider that the response given for the passive cab takes the cab only into account. The coupling of a poweramp and a cab creates a new system that reacts to a signal in its own way, a way that can't be foreseen since it depends on the amp itself as well.
The phase rotations, the variation of impedance function of the frequency depend on the coupling, and Atomic can't give a general value which stands true for all the possible couplings.
Furthermore, with the active version you have the DSP which is optimized for that specific amp-loudspeaker coupling.

I have a GT1000FX and I have run it through Marshall 4x12 cabs, Matrix Q12p and CFR12 monitors

it sounds and feels absolutely stellar in all of those combinations

does the matrix 1000 or q12 sound better than the gt800? had the gt800 ran it thru a bogner oversize 2x12 also tried a ev 112p sounded like a hafler g150 i had in the 90`s steril ..i was using a bogner xtc before

Back
Top Bottom