Matrix GM50

I'm looking forward to a professionally done demo. I don't quite get why they'd release something like that, the actual product is only shown for like 5 seconds, the text descriptions are only onscreen for two seconds, and it's 10 minutes of Mark playing the same chugga-chugga riff through what sounds like a cell phone mic?? :?

Having said that, I'm in the market for a power amp or powered monitor so I can't wait to see more.

There will be some video's done at the Newcastle guitar show coming up next weekend.
That was the prototype unit (basically just a black box) Matrix took to Namm and it apparently floored everyone who heard it. (Not just the Tone Merchant guys!)

axel said:
Personally, I would rather use a rack PA that I could use with any cab than modify my cab for an on-board amp, but that's just me. I'm probably missing something...

It fills a niche. I already have powered studio monitors at home, powered PA wedges if I run the Axe FRFR live. It would be cool to equip my favorite guitar cab with built-in power too. That way I could seamlessly use the Axe for any situation, not have to carry around a rack power amp and still have power for my guitar cab without a separate rack or head shell.

paulmapp8306 said:
Which is what the G800FX is for :)

Great idea from Matrix, and could lead to others ;) I think its telling that the video is the line out of a real tube amp - no power amp emulation going on and it sounds great. Also, while its designed to be fitted into to guitar cab, at 2kg and that small it could so easily be a lightweight small backup amp, or a fly away amp (just stick it in you backpack).

Exactly.

The Axe II has removable rack ears. I'm thinking one of these amps for my guitar cab and then I can do away with the rack completely. Carry the Axe to jams/gigs in a backpack or laptop bag, like Larry Mitchell. My Axe spends a lot of its time in my home studio, so it would be nice if I didn't have to lug a big heavy rack in and out of the house.

Great idea for Matrix, because I don't think anyone else is currently doing this. MOSFET just has to sound better than Class-D.

It fills a niche. I already have powered studio monitors at home, powered PA wedges if I run the Axe FRFR live. It would be cool to equip my favorite guitar cab with built-in power too. That way I could seamlessly use the Axe for any situation, not have to carry around a rack power amp and still have power for my guitar cab without a separate rack or head shell.

Yes, I'm sure it does, I assumed there was a market, or they would not have bothered designing it. One big plus, there's currently not much competition (if any) in this "niche".

Last edited:
Seriously thinking of getting Zilla cabs to build be a ported 1x12, with one of these modules loaded and a 2U space above for the AFX2. Put a handle on the top and its a high tech combo :)

Will be getting the GM50 sent up to me before the Newcastle guitar show on Sunday so I can tweak if necessary before demo'ing. I'll ask Andy if some pre release pics are ok along with some tentative specs. I think a full press release is planned for start of next week though!

I thank you all for your patience. We have been flat out getting stuff ready for the show this coming Sunday.

It will be fine for John (Lightningboy) to put some pictures up, as requested, before the Sunday.

We will be sending out a full press release on Monday.
The videos taken from the show will go up on the youtube channel as soon as they have been uploaded,
we shall also upload the audio as seperate files for people that would rather not listen to the compression applied by youtube to videos.

John and I look forward to meeting any of you that are able to attend.

My best regards
Matt

Interesting idea! What are the specs and features on the amp? Are their differences between it and and the GT series poweramps? Very exciting Matrix-Men :)

Same as they're both 400w!
Back side is just 2 wires to attach to whatever speaker(s) you're using, nothing more interesting than that as the unit has to be sealed pretty tight as the pressure levels inside a cab/wedge etc can get pretty high and cause pronlems.

Maybe the wrong forum to ask, but it looks like the size was accomidated for fitting in a specific product... so will this fit in the kemper? Lol

400 watts? Are you sure? It's MOSFET right?

Yep! It's 400w rms @ 4ohms. Dropping to about 120w @ 16 ohm. Mosfet like the GT800FX. Played all day at the Newcastle guitar show into an Axe FX II through two wedges powered with these. Like the GT800FX, even after being on for 7 hours, they barely broke a sweat and were cool to touch. Lots of people interested in these for modding their own cabs.
There should be a press release later today and hopefully Matt will get some video up later as well.

@Skyze.....They won't fit into the back of a Kemper.

Back
Top Bottom