Marshall Plexi: AC/DC Angus Young sound with AXE FX III

is it by default you mix in the DI signal with the "Thru" option in the muted second amp?
Yeah, thank you very much. That's a mistake. I changed it, refer attachment in first post. Just tested quickly but I didn't hear a difference. Luck. Could be the reason why I needed to change the Input Impedance sometimes. Try to switch to IN-ChannelA for JCM800 amps. Currently I'm working on adding feedback to the preset. What a fun ... I will test it again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sorry, I uploaded the wrong one. I added all current versions I have incl. additional amps and feedback test (FC1 Pedal1).

I just bought some Solodallas irs ( 69 G12M25) and literally had no time today to try them, but I decided to try a quick test tonight (took me 15 minutes). I just went to their mixes and took 2 and put them in my fm3. Just 15 minutes of tweaking with just a JM45 and 59SLP.

Everything is done and record at really low volume ( kids blablabla) so it may be crap when I listen to it tomorrow but for the moment and for just 15 minutes of my time I think it's not that bad.
There's a lot of Irs in that pack so I think it's gonna be a great buy. I hope I also could dial live tone with it.

I used my mahogany telecaster with a Paf36 in the bridge, note that this guitar REALLY needs a setup and some wiring check.

Google drive link cause I got censored everywhere (Soundcloud youtube). Intro/verse/chorus of back in black

Sounds great! Could you please share your preset and which IR/cab settings you used?
I also have this package but I liked the MV30 from York Audio more. The Solodallas were too dark, but I would like to retry it again. Possibly the Tele is the solution because of this maple neck. I made the same experience with my maple neck SGs. Angus very limited Signature SG has also a maple neck!

Sounds great! Could you please share your preset and which IR/cab settings you used?
I also have this package but I liked the MV30 from York Audio more. The Solodallas were too dark, but I would like to retry it again. Possibly the Tele is the solution because of this maple neck. I made the same experience with my maple neck SGs. Angus very limited Signature SG has also a maple neck!
Here it is.

Scene 1 : Angus
Scene 2 : Malcolm
Scene 3 : kind of boosted amp for lead

Attachments

• SOLO G12M25 FM3 SHARE.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Capture d’écran 2024-03-11 à 13.06.01.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-11 à 13.06.01.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 39
I don't understand but for me it sounds like a rug is laying on the cab. I'm a bit wondering how you get this sound recorded. I also tried different SGs and a Tele but it did not helped. I also tried to record it and check the sound again. No change. You really need both guitars to get this result and a Tele ;) Additonally I was really fighting with the feeling on the guitar - that's not a plexi feeling. Much too sensitive. Possibly because of the Gain Enhancer. Attached you can find my preset reduced for FM3 for comparision (just use the current selected scene).

Attachments

• v0.5 ACDC Angus I Dyna TRD FM3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
If you listen to the original back in black and pay attention to angus guitar, especially on the pentatonic lick, you can hear that there’s not that much of treble. To my ears at least.

The Malcolm tone is not that bright either but there is his « magic mid punch » as I call it. :)
And I think a lot of the magical tones on the records are made from that unique tone blending from angus and Malcolm.

It can’t do it because I just have a fm3 but with an fm9 you can put the amps together and panned to get the same feeling. (Gosh only writing that makes me wanna buy an fm9)

What are you calling « too sensitive »? Too much dynamics?

I don’t think it comes from the guitar. My telecaster is more like a custom guitar. HB in bridge, one piece mahogany body with flame maple top. More like a telespaulster lol.

And it was just a 15 minutes shot so it may be not that accurate too.

I’ll try your preset tomorrow !

Thank you for your feedback!

Just search at YT "AC/DC Isolated Track" and you can hear how much treble they normally use, e.g. but based on Mesa Boogies (w/o rug on the cab)

But I'm not sure for this song and recording. Possibly it really depends on our speakers or how it is EQed. I think this is the main issue to compare sounds which are based on AXE - different speakers (and different ears) ;)

I really had problems to play the lick of Back in Black. Not with my preset. Can't describe it better ... just compare. In past I had plexis a long time, never had this issue.

Tele:

but the Tele twang :)

I like your recording and I think your preset is great to get this recording, it also sounds nearly like the original (with your Tele), but I don't like this rug on cab part of that sound when I use my rig/guitars. It's not that open (Treble?). Could just be what I already thought about SoloDallas IRs. Did you really used both IRs in parallel or just the one or the other?

Possibly that is just the difference between amp in the room and recorded sound. From my point of view my preset sounds and feels like my real plexis sound from past in the room. Too much treble could be an issue. I really need to compare it more ... Possibly I just have the Donington sound as target in my mind.

@rockstarjazzcat: Your comment could also be the reason
"... Playing with a backing track to see how the guitar tone sits in context is also key. Ears are terribly inaccurate judges of things in isolation but are pretty great in picking out differences…"
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ing-issues-upgrade-change.202560/post-2533232
The backing track as basis for comparision. The question is, what happens if the backing track sounds bad? ;)

Possibly AC/DC doesn't use much treble but Fletcher Munson curve is the reason why it sounds like much treble. AC/DC is very loud live, in studio? I will try it louder later.

Last edited:
No, higher volume doesn't help. Still the rug on the speaker. I also tried different mics like in past but SoloDallas are too dark. Mh ... my speaker setup? No, I still prefer my preset.

Last edited:
I already tried and recovered FW24.05. E.g. the 1987x was too different, very dark, less output. I think I will wait for the final version and then I will do a FW25 update, copy and reset the presets (or better create new ones) and I will try to get the "old" but better sound. But it takes time and at the moment I'm not motivated because I was really happy with it. But I'm also interested in the new FW25 ...

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your preset. It seems versatile enough to use not only when I want to replicate the sound of AC/DC but also when I desire the typical crunch tone out of Marshall Plexis.

Thanks to you. Really great to hear. Which speakers and at what volume do you use for this and if so, which Global EQs?
I also think that this is a good basis for a great Plexi sound. I was also thrilled that it was quite easy to adapt the sound of the various Plexis to each other, as far as I know from practice. This provides a great basis for personal adjustments. I've been looking for the Plexi sound on the AX FX for a long time. The key was my speakers + GEQs at low volume (adjustment with studio monitor was necessary as a basis) and then the DynaCaps. I have the feeling that the FW25b sounds better, but you all have to touch the presets a bit. But I don't want to use the deep parameters for this, just things that I would actually change on an amp (cable impedance, tubes, bias, basic settings, cab, etc.). I'm still comparing two presets. So this will take even longer.

Thanks to you. Really great to hear. Which speakers and at what volume do you use for this and if so, which Global EQs?
I also think that this is a good basis for a great Plexi sound. I was also thrilled that it was quite easy to adapt the sound of the various Plexis to each other, as far as I know from practice. This provides a great basis for personal adjustments. I've been looking for the Plexi sound on the AX FX for a long time. The key was my speakers + GEQs at low volume (adjustment with studio monitor was necessary as a basis) and then the DynaCaps. I have the feeling that the FW25b sounds better, but you all have to touch the presets a bit. But I don't want to use the deep parameters for this, just things that I would actually change on an amp (cable impedance, tubes, bias, basic settings, cab, etc.). I'm still comparing two presets. So this will take even longer.
I play in my bedroom using ordinary headphones or near-field monitors. As long as it sounds good in the mix, I'm happy with it!

Back
Top Bottom