Mark IIC+ difference from FW13 to FW14

rtcook

Experienced
Why has my Mark IIC+ preset changed so much from this FW update? I really hasn't changed much over the last several FW updates. I'm really at a loss on how to describe it as I'm not that good at describing tone. I know there were some changes to the Mesa tone stack or something of the sort? What has changed and what can I tweak to get it back to what I was hearing in FW13?

Thanks,

Roger

Why has my Mark IIC+ preset changed so much from this FW update? I really hasn't changed much over the last several FW updates. I'm really at a loss on how to describe it as I'm not that good at describing tone. I know there were some changes to the Mesa tone stack or something of the sort? What has changed and what can I tweak to get it back to what I was hearing in FW13?

Thanks,

Roger

Recto models changed not the Marks. I didn't notice a huge change.

"Improved Recto models tone stack accuracy. The Recto models now use an exact digital replica of the unique tone control network used in those amps. Furthermore the Presence control now operates like the actual amp in all models (i.e. for those models where there is no negative feedback the Presence control is actually part of the tone stack)."

I noticed a subtle change only but I cannot live without it. I don't think that it is something that you want to get rid of.
I'm not very good at translating sound to words. When I first read the term 'balls' instead of 'bass', I was very jealous of that guy and his terminology.
I will try to explain what happened but I might not be so successful. With FW14, when I hit a chord I feel that all the strings join together more successfully. Tonight I don't give a flying fuck to my tube amp + cab rig which I had 4 years ago. Yes, I really don't care about it anymore!
I got my Axe FX 2 with FW10. I think that this is the most drastic change, even more than 11->12 upgrade.
The model sounds/feels much more usable to me now.
I think that it is due to the improved triode clipping.
Every month I'm falling more in love with my AF2.

There were no changes to that model.
If it is so, then there are two probabilities:
1) There is something about my guitar which is much more serious than I think and only for today it worked flawlessly. It has active EMG's and it always sounded dead and noisy as a truck until today. So strange. I will certainly buy a new one if my god damn bank increases my card limit :)
2) I'm out of my mind. Please transfer me to the closest mental hospital.
I hope the first one is right :)

If it is so, then there are two probabilities:
1) There is something about my guitar which is much more serious than I think and only for today it worked flawlessly. It has active EMG's and it always sounded dead and noisy as a truck until today. So strange. I will certainly buy a new one if my god damn bank increases my card limit :)
2) I'm out of my mind. Please transfer me to the closest mental hospital.
I hope the first one is right :)

Change the 9v battery in the guitar

Change the 9v battery in the guitar

Dude, unfortunately it's more complex than that, I have changed them (using 18v) many times :(

When I first bought my C-1 it had 81TW-89 pickups. I was not happy, because I was trying to use a tube amp silently (I have completely lost my faith in that solution). Than I bought 81X-60X combo. It was awesome, noiseless. Then I wanted single coils in a metal guitar and I ordered these damn things from USA. I hate my beloved guitar since then.

I went to the best guitar electrician in my country and requested to wire those pickups using soldering. He said that it's too complex. He simply didn't care.

What can I do?

What I can do in this country is unfortunately buy a PRS SE guitar (they are known for being ready to be played out of factory), and bring it to home before any luthier/electrician sees it. I love my Schecter, but nobody cares about its problem. I do not understand and cannot solve this situation.

If I had Axe + FW14 when I bought the guitar, I wouldn't even touch it! I think that I'm the only one who uses active EMG's and suffers from noise. Plus the tone sucks so bad!

Try reloading the firmware. I hit an issue a few firmwares back where afterward thing sounded off and tone was hollow and scratchy... Can't hurt to give it a shot.

Hey ertan, which EMGs did you end up with in the Schecter after the 81x/60x ? I'm curious.

I've had loads of EMGs in my guitars over time. Most of them I've just gone with the solderless installs, but some soldered.

They all have a background white noise that's just not there in a passive pickup. I did have a tele set where the bridge sounded like a waterfall, but that was faulty and the replacement was ok.

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey ertan, which EMGs did you end up with in the Schecter after the 81x/60x ? I'm curious.

I've had loads of EMGs in my guitars over time. Most of them I've just gone with the solderless installs, but some soldered.

They all have a background white noise that's just not there in a passive pickup. I did have a tele set where the bridge sounded like a waterfall, but that was faulty and the replacement was ok.

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EMG 81 TWX / 89XR. Keep away from them!

Now I have an USA PRS Custom 24 and I'm happier than all my past! I love the Mark IIC+ more with this guitar. Still don't like the Mark IV though. I think that I will never be able to like that amp.

PS: I still hate the rectifier.

Last edited:
Update all presets seems to have done the trick. I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the help.

Roger

I'm seeing this a lot, Cliff can the firmware when it installs just auto do this?

I also updated mine the other day and foolishly had the volume up on my axe and all kinds of fun noise came out of my monitor, thought it was going to blow up, and I couldn't stop it of course.

So can the axe be muted while the update all presets occurs?

I'm seeing this a lot, Cliff can the firmware when it installs just auto do this?

I also updated mine the other day and foolishly had the volume up on my axe and all kinds of fun noise came out of my monitor, thought it was going to blow up, and I couldn't stop it of course.

So can the axe be muted while the update all presets occurs?
Automatically doing this would prevent the user from downgrading, so i vote no ;)

Back
Top Bottom