Making the leap to a Macbook Pro. What Apps??

Rich G.

Experienced
After hearing for years that Macs are the computer of choice for recording I made the leap to get a Macbook Pro. Thing is, I've been a PC/Windows back to the DOS days and I'm not sure what Apps I'll need to do the same or similar stuff on my Mac that I do on my PC. Can someone help me with a list of 'must have' apps for the Mac and/or equivalent Apps compared to what I use on the PC? Here's a list of apps I use regularly on my PC:

Excel
Word
FireFox
VC++ 2010 Express
Some sort of Text Editor
MidiOX
Axe-Edit
MatLab
WinAmp
TuxGuitar
Audacity
StudioOne Live

Natively available for Mac
Excel
Word
FireFox
Axe-Edit
Audacity
StudioOne Live

Those are off the top of my head. So that has cut your list down.

You need Perian
BB edit for a text editor perhaps.

You could also run Windows on it via VMWare Fusion or Parallels for things like VC++ 2010 Express. Native Dev environment for Mac is x code.

Note I no longer own a Mac, so this may not be up to date.

Some sort of Text Editor - you'll get one called text edit with mac os
MidiOX - you may not need an equivalent for this, depending on what you're doing. check out audio/midi setup in the utilities folder
Audacity - available for mac os on the soundforge site

With all the things said above plus.

Reaper - my Daw of choice
Capo - use this for learning songs - your general slow things down so that a twelve yr old kid could figure it out.
Guitar pro 6 - for learning songs the tab way
Pixelmator - for doing graphics photoshop variant (but way cheaper)
rip it - DVD conversion
Handbrake for the same reason as rip it.

I have all the big microsoft and apple software, but I just don't use them much these days. I use my IPAD for everything else. I have three apple TV's strung throughout the house and use Airplay constantly.

The Apple supremacy is a thing of the past, every Apple we've bought in the past 5 years has had a problem. Now Windows is stable and has far more software available, I'm returning to pc next round.

The Apple supremacy is a thing of the past, every Apple we've bought in the past 5 years has had a problem. Now Windows is stable and has far more software available, I'm returning to pc next round.

Pretty much why I no longer have a Mac. I await to see what Windows 8 will bring, as long as the Windows 7 goodness is still available. But I agree it's a myth that an Apple is needed to be creative.

Disclaimer I have an iPad, but that is a consumption device for me at least.

I should clarify and say, a hardware problem.

Each time it was "fixed" for free, even though one still has the same problem as prior to the "repair".

I can buy two PCs for less money, and I probably will.

I'm kinda hooked on Logic, having used it for the last 12 years, both on PC (when it ran on that) and Mac platform.
I'd recommend that as a great composing/recording platform. It's also the least expensive of the pro recording apps out there.

Why is it that every post like this ends up in some debate on Mac Vs PC? That gets soooooo tiring. The OPs question is about apps for his Mac, not about which OS is better. Can we please stay on-topic and keep the soap-box rant for some dedicated threads of which there are many on HC or some other useless forum?

I'm kinda hooked on Logic, having used it for the last 12 years, both on PC (when it ran on that) and Mac platform.
I'd recommend that as a great composing/recording platform. It's also the least expensive of the pro recording apps out there.
Logic is Mac only now so as you say you are hooked... If someone doesn't have a Mac it's an expensive piece of hardware potentially to be able to run it. When I had a Mac I used Cubase and still can on Windows. At the end of the day it is a choice, no right or wrong really.

Apple or PC, the debate continues. You find passion on both sides of the fence so I'm gonna sit that discussion out. I used PC for years running ProTools and had a lot of problems over the years. Finally got fed up with all of the windows updates and platform issues with protools, so I took the plunge and bought a Mac pro. It fully integrates with Protools, and has worked perfectly.

As for apps, I suggest you carefully consider what you are doing. The more junk you load up your computer with, the worse it will perform for a recording tool. Since you are relying on your computer as host, your hard drive capacity and your processor are crucial in determining how well or how poorly your system will work. I run two hard drives, one dedicated to running the CPU and the second strictly for audio files. Unless you are recording the LA Symphony, the computer usually has no problem keeping up with the recording part. It is the mix and master that will choke your computer. Depending on the type of music you want to record and edit, even a fairly well endowed Macbook will choke during mix, when everything is up and running, especially if you are running any mastering software. Even really big systems experience disk allocation issues.

If you are going to use your laptop as a laptop and just do some recording, then app away. If you are going to do some serious recording, not only should you skip the apps, but you should remove all of the useless junk that gets loaded in. Keep only what you need to record, and a few basic functional items. Gut all of the background stuff. Do yourself a favor and find a friend who really knows computer platforms, and find out what a lot of the pre-canned stuff actually does before you remove it so you do not accidentally shoot yourself in the foot. I have been recording on computers for a long time, and run a home studio. My system runs great, but that is because that is how I designed and use it.

Just my 2 cents.

Why is it that every post like this ends up in some debate on Mac Vs PC? That gets soooooo tiring. The OPs question is about apps for his Mac, not about which OS is better. Can we please stay on-topic and keep the soap-box rant for some dedicated threads of which there are many on HC or some other useless forum?

Well, probably if the op's statement didn't say this: "After hearing for years that Macs are the computer of choice for recording I made the leap to get a Macbook Pro" No one would chime in and dispute it. Don't ya think?
Your tired of debates and I am really tired of the Mac reigns-so ............................................Guess were both tired. No argument just answering your question-you did ask.

Back on topic:

TextWrangler is a great text editor
Reaper is a really cool DAW for Windows and OSX. Great price, development model and philosophy. Lots of Reaper love around here.
Xcode for writing OSX or IOS apps
Eclipse as your IDE for C, C++, Python, Java, Perl, Php, etc.
Maybe Netbeans if you're really into Java and don't care for Eclipse.
Virtual Box if you need a Windows environment.
Probably MySql if your development takes you that way.

I wonder if the new macbook pros had the kernel panic issues sorted out. I have a Mid 2010 and it panics at random and I know the 2011's did the same. I hope apple care will replace mine for me.

So what? That's your experience -

Currently typing this words on a mid 2009 MBP 17", which is my main cpu.....pretty awesome machine, still....after three years of heavy usage. Had over 200 battery loading cycles - still lasting for over 90% of healty, which gives me approx. 5.5h battery life while browsing the web (wifi over my mobile phone via tethering / personal hot spot)...stunning!

I' mainly use my MBP with Logic Pro (i'm on Logic and Apple machines since my old SE/30 which is arround 1994 or so......

You prefer windows, which is fine too - but I don't share your experience. I have mine - since 18yrs! I'm not a fan boy - not a believer - I'm a regular user buying one machine after five to six yrs of usage.....

cheers
Paco

btw....If you're into music on mac - stay on OSX 10.6.8 if you can.....

I had some incompatibility issues with 64bit kernel and my SSL Duende Classic V128 DSP......or you switch your lion 10.7 into 32bit mode.....

Back
Top Bottom