Low harmonic content of a real amp

dgsamper

Hey guys, first post here.

I do not know if this is a dumb question, so sorry if it is.

I never played a tube amp in my life. Recently, I stumbled across this video:

What is this "low harmonic" thing? Can I replicate with modellers? Beato actually said that "this is an amp thing" later on. Why does this happen?

Last edited:
i think he refers to sort of the sound when for example bending 3rd on the 14th whole step up while holding 2nd on 15th.
theres something else going on and i can hear it on the fractal too, maybe not that extreme.

but i could as well be completely wrong :)

IOW, if that amp aspect is modeled well, it will do it too -- and the Axe does.

Several parameters are a factor in it. If you dial it out, the amp may also lose its mojo (acc. to Cliff).

Last edited:
i think he refers to sort of the sound when for example bending 3rd on the 14th whole step up while holding 2nd on 15th.
theres something else going on and i can hear it on the fractal too, maybe not that extreme.

but i could as well be completely wrong :)

Just tried right now with the default marshall preset of the tonex plugin and was able to replicate doing the same dissonant thing. Very interesting sound. I was in doubt this was an amp thing because Beato actually said in the video. But if I was able to replicate with the default settings of the Tonex plugin, I wonder how fractal jcm would sound.

That's called "intermodulation distortion".

It's the difference between the two frequencies. If you play, say an A 440 and and an Ab 415.3 the difference frequency is 440 - 415.3 = 24.7 Hz.

If you do a double-stop bend the difference frequency will go down as you bend the note up.

It's not something that "only an amp can do". Any nonlinearity will produce intermodulation distortion. It's a fundamental characteristic of nonlinear systems.

Hey guys, first post here.

I do not know if this is a dumb question, so sorry if it is.

I never played a tube amp in my life. Recently, I stumbled across this video:

What is this "low harmonic" thing? Can I replicate with modellers? Beato actually said that "this is an amp thing" later on. Why does this happen?

I made a video a couple weeks ago that maybe could answer your questions

Back
Top Bottom