Loss of Volume w/Delay

Cliff, if you did this could it be a firmware fix for both G1 units?
This might be a 'fix' for some, but it could be a new problem for others with many of their existing presets. Several effective ways to avoid level changes in the direct signal already exist. I'd prefer this to be an option, not a rule.

i agree with steadystate, there are plenty of options already available to keep dry levels constant and i wouldn't want to have to tweak a bunch of my presets to compensate for this so called "fix"

I've been thinking about this. One possibility is the dry is constant until the mix is 50% and then decreases.

Cool.
I suggested exactly this a long time ago, about two years ago.
Since then I've been using parallel delay and reverb, but would really like to have it like this.

I'm missing something here. You can already easily maintain constant direct level with a series delay or reverb, while still having control (even external control) over the delay level (via delay input gain), mix, and overall level.

Set the mix to 50/50 and use the delay input gain to adjust the level of the delay. If you want the direct to be unity gain when the delay block is active, set the level to +6 dB. What is the advantage of this proposed "fix" that would outweigh screwing up the levels of existing presets?

I'm missing something here. You can already easily maintain constant direct level with a series delay or reverb, while still having control (even external control) over the delay level (via delay input gain), mix, and overall level.

Set the mix to 50/50 and use the delay input gain to adjust the level of the delay. If you want the direct to be unity gain when the delay block is active, set the level to +6 dB. What is the advantage of this proposed "fix" that would outweigh screwing up the levels of existing presets?

One thing would be maintaining dry level (assuming resulting mix stays under 50%) if using global mix controls, but IMO this would be far better: make global mix adjust gain of wet signal only. That way with reverb/delay at 100% mix it would actually just turn the effect sound up/down instead of doing nothing (positive) or adding unwanted dry signal (negative).

I calculated that chart. It doesn't really apply to signals that are different in time, such as delay and reverb effects. But if you're mixing two similar signals such as two cab blocks or drive blocks, then you can use these dB levels to preserve an ovarall level of unity gain (ie no cut, no boost).

To mix the two signals equally, you would set each to -6dB. If you want one to be louder than the other, use one of the lower pairs of dB levels. For example, -4dB and -8.7dB.

Back
Top Bottom