Wish Looper requests

+ 1 to all the Sim stuff above :)

I'd also want to repeat my main looper wish from ten years ago regarding the Axe2:
A parameter to have the length of your (not quantized) recorded loop set the global tempo for the machine. To make this work we would of course also need a preference setting where you tell the Axe how many bars you intend to record as the loop.

This would open up for starting a live performance using the looper without having to focus on whatever BPM you need to adapt to. You could actually just start playing and make a loop. Great way to keep an audience not leaving for the bar :) Then you would have four delay blocks that may loop up to four bars each and, by using scenes or external direct control, this would let you build a player-friendly multi-loop looper.

We can do a limited kind of smooth live looping performances with today's Looper block, but only if avoiding to use other tempo-based blocks to build an orchestration. My current workaround trick is to run the looper quantized and start out a session playing and looping only with delay blocks plus a tempo-tap pedal and when I get the first decent loop running I kick in the looper to catch the delay block loop plus my direct playing. But I much rather have the set-master-tempo function of the Axe3 looper, as explained above.

Oh, and of course we would have great use for "LoopLengthx2", "LoopLengthx3" and "LoopLengthx4". As well as "LoopLength/2", "LoopLengthx/3" and "LoopLength/4". Instant multipliers and divisors.

yes per, absolutely agree. this and your other suggestions would make the looper a performance tool, rather than just a practice tool

if we could map the controls to the internal modifiers, you could also use it as an effect. something i've been asking for, for years

To me the looper block just doesn't work as expected. The UI with the waveform doesn't refresh properly for me and the stop/play buttons just seem buggy. What I would love is to see something akin to the Boomerang looper. I had one of these guys, with the Sidecar, and it was pretty darn cool. I got rid of it in-part to pay for the Axe III.

i don't think the looper was ever really designed to be anything more than a basic practice tool. anything more and the cpu hit may go above what cliff is comfortable with. we can ask for new features and behaviours all day long, but really i think if you're serious about looping, using an external device is the way to go. just in terms of flexibility and stability. of course we can always ask and anything we get is a bonus, as far as i'm concerned.

@simeon True, though it would make a great addition to the FM. I could see assigning a switch/press to change into looper mode where the FM switches act similar to a looper like the Boomerang. Obviously a lot of usability concerns would need to be ironed out. Just a wild thought

i don't think the looper was ever really designed to be anything more than a basic practice tool. anything more and the cpu hit may go above what cliff is comfortable with. we can ask for new features and behaviours all day long, but really i think if you're serious about looping, using an external device is the way to go. just in terms of flexibility and stability. of course we can always ask and anything we get is a bonus, as far as i'm concerned.

I’ve used loopers and delays as instruments since the Electro Harmonix 16 second delay and Digitech PDS 8000. Delays for guitarists are instruments.

Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Bill Frisell, Nels Cline, Mary Halvorsen would all agree with this assessment.

It would be awesome to be able to have the looper start and stop when switching scenes like was possible in the Axe II.
How was that done?
I bought a preset by @Moke :) He used modifiers that armed the preset in one scene, turned the play on in another, turned it off in another...VERY cool!

It would be awesome to be able to have the looper start and stop when switching scenes like was possible in the Axe II.

I bought one of preset @Moke :) He used modifiers that armed the preset in one scene, turned the play on in another, turned it off in another...VERY cool!
So I'm guessing the Axe Fx III doesn't support modifiers on the Play control? I've never looked...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could use more than one looper block! This simple upgrade would open up a lot of cool possibilities. For example:

You could set them up in parallel to make polyrhythm themes.
You could line them up in series for "song structure" building on the fly. Like recording a short loop (#1) and then play a longer line over the repeating loop #1 while recording the whole shebang as a longer loop (#2).

Wouldn't it be nice if we could use more than one looper block! This simple upgrade would open up a lot of cool possibilities. For example:

You could set them up in parallel to make polyrhythm themes.
You could line them up in series for "song structure" building on the fly. Like recording a short loop (#1) and then play a longer line over the repeating loop #1 while recording the whole shebang as a longer loop (#2).
Or maybe Channels for the Looper ;)

Back
Top Bottom