Looking for processing tips for piezo acoustic tones

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
So I have a piezo equipped guitar and I'm currently routing it through my Axe with a simple Reverb block and a PEQ blocking the lows at 80.8 Hz -- no amp or cab blocks. Does anyone have any tips for enhancing this signal and making it sound a little more like a real acoustic?

I like to add some cab signal but not 100%. Split the signal, put a cab in a parallel row with one of the free Fishman Aura IRs (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29818). You can use a Mixer where the rows combine again to dial the amount of cab'd signal.

A bit of studio compression, maybe some detuning (5ct, 1ms, 8% mix), and reverb. That's it.

I have gotten several compliments from other players on my live piezo tone and the routing is pretty simple:

Piezo->compressor->tube pre->reverb->cab(acoustic IR)->PEQ

Here is a clip that is double-tracked piezo and clean Vox AC30 sim. Keep in mind the riff has a Capo at the 4th fret. This was recorded direct with no post-processing. If you wanted more highs taken out, that can be done in the amp block or the PEQ. YMMV.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1084117&songID=9530980

I use a pretty simple piezo setting as well. NO amp block in mine:

NULL filter with level set at +12dB > PEQ > Cab (shawngee's Fishman IR's) > Reverb

it depends on the piezo really.
A graphtech ghost system sounds better on its own on a electric then many other 'solutions' I have encountered on a acoustic.
A bright, brittle, quacky pickup cannot be saved, but with a good pickup and the Axe the results can be stellar.

I am using a GraphTech LB63 bridge. The sound is already pretty good but I'm just curious as to what could be done to make it better. I'll try the Tube Pre and Fishman IRs.

With my Takamine, it has an UST (piezo) with a builtin preamp, I run Filter (highpass to knock off below ~160) -> Tube Pre -> Reverb.

With my other piezo guitar that is passive, no builtin preamp, I run through a Aguilar Tube DI first. The passive piezo's sound better to my ear if they run first into an ultra-high input impedance device like the Aguilar before the Axe-Fx.

Richard

I usually mix in 2 different signals that include an acoustic IR really quiet and then a dry signal with no cabinet used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom