Looking for cleaner tones! (New member)

Phil Docker

Hello all,

Finally after trying the following I have ended up with an Axe FX2 (mk 1) as well as a Mk3 MFC101....
Eleven Rack/JMP1/ADA MP1/Digitech GSP1101/Fractal Ultra/Kemper/Headrush.

What they have lacked to me is something hard to explain - I would say a lot of processors you do not 'feel' the sound. Plugging in the AXEFX2 gave me that on the first chord, so my rack is going on ebay later.

The way I will be running the Fractal (stereo) into the PA and having a FRFR cabinet for my personal monitoring on the stage.

Currently I perform in a 'rock comedy covers' band so there are plenty of tones I can already tweak for overdrive tones. Loving the Friedman sounds in this unit.

My main act however is a Duran Duran tribute so I am looking for amazing clean tones, with a lot of compression, chorus and big delays. Think 80s clean tones! I have downloaded a couple of patches but they seemed to be based on the later Duran Duran tones and the more overdriven ones. I am not looking quite at all the effects on the Alex Lifeson style clean tones but they may also be a good point to start and removing bits.

Any advice is welcomed. I am not a newbie when it comes to programming effect units but not done the completely DI route before.

Cheers

Phil

A couple three tips I have picked up along the way to optimize clean tone with with great FX on the Axe...
1: don’t be afraid to use extremely low Input Gain and/or Trim settings in the Amp blocks you like, and crank up the Level to compensate...even some of the high gain monsters can be tamed for gorgeous cleans.
2. use a Compressor block at the end of the chain, set to Optical .comp 1or 2, and set the input on the block to Line (instead of instrument)
3. For the best in delays and other cool FX, go to @simeon s web page and download all of hisFX blocks and presets..he is the acknowledged king of spatial effects on the Axe.

curious about your comedy band...doing any Zappa , Bonzo Dog Band or Martin Mull..? To me , some of the greatest rock humor came from these sources......(I see youre from the UK...Humour, then....

Last edited:
I think Leon's awesome 80s rack clean is in here somewhere - might be AX8 only though https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/80s-rack-preamp-preset-bundle.132269/
read my mind....that was gonna be my next suggestion....and @Phil Docker , get this, and also while you are on a download spree, pick up
@AlGrenadine s Fractool app... it will allow you to convert any FAS preset into the format for your Axe painlessly, like the great pre rack presets above from Leon @2112 , who has turned into a top Fractal tip giver and YouTube poster in a very short period of time......

and here is a little preset I threw together to illustrate my 3 tips above..using a very modded preset from @austinbuddy whose Naked Amp Pack is a must buy IMO (and the O of many other longtime users) , and a Delay and Multidelay BLK from @simeon

Attachments

• Plexicleansimeon austinbuddy(AxeFx II).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 40
really all you need is something like the usa clean or the shiver clean into whatever cab floats your boat (i like the tx star factory 19) and then add some heavy compression with a very fast attack and either a quad chorus (set up like a trichorus), or a stereo detune with some predelay dialled in (try 10ms one side and 20ms on the other) after the cab.

if there's a specific tone you're after, then post a link and we can have a listen and really nail it down, rather than just making generalisations

If you are running FRFR, you have the advantage of also being able to emulate "direct to board" clean tones. Put simply build a patch (USA Clean or Shiva) and don't use a cab block. Compressor and chorus a must but great for some "Rockman-esque" clean tones.

And his fabulous furniture? Licks off Records. Still occasionally do that one in my acoustic solo work.:D
We are kindred spirits indeed...that tune was a staple of:mine for years.....
“And I see you gettin all warm and runny...at my gitar and the way my fingers burn.....
Well I hate to disallusion you honey....
But it’s just licks offa records that I learned....”
May be my favorite couplet ever.
If I’m honest about it, I should confess that I copped a fair amount of Mr Mull’s stage persona into my own for quite a while......

Last edited:
"I'm just in to for the money not for fun...
and when it's over I'll just pack it up and run...
and when I'm lyin' in my bed they'll be no music in my head
No I'll just thank the Lord my one night here is done..."

You can also try the JC120 and the Dimension chorus type...

Personally, I would put the Compressor first not last, but that's my taste.

Back
Top Bottom