Logic Pro X released today. I knew it was coming.

Thanks for the links Scott, I don't use Logic at the moment but was wondering when this might happen if I decided to make a switch.

The drummer feature looks cool for guitar players. It's like instructions you'd give to a drummer in your band - play more/less, go with something on the toms in this section, simple/complex, etc. w/o getting bogged down in coming up with your own beats. Looks pretty fun.

I got Toontrack Superior and play my drums with a Roland V-Drumkit in realtime, no needs for an extra drummer plugin! Melodyne-like Pitch correction? Me? Nah...I can play!! :) Plus there is no support for 32bit Plugs anymore....mmh! I own a SSL Duende Classic V3 in the 128 dsp channel version with all extra X-Code plugins, which are restricted to 32bit. I'm not gonna buy the new version ;) Logic 9 does the job for me!

btw. it looks more like Garageband Pro rather than Logic :lol ...uff! ;)

btw. great package for new logic beginners or garageband switchers - everything for just 200 bucks. Not bad at all (I paid over 1500bucks to get Logic Pro 7 back a few years)

I haven't bought it yet, but someone else at work has, and so far it looks like they haven't removed any of the features. The fear was that this would be like Final Cut Pro X where they cut a bunch of stuff and dumbed everything down significantly. Seems like a worthwhile update for only two hundred bucks. I hope Aperture X is not far behind.

I haven't bought it yet, but someone else at work has, and so far it looks like they haven't removed any of the features. The fear was that this would be like Final Cut Pro X where they cut a bunch of stuff and dumbed everything down significantly. Seems like a worthwhile update for only two hundred bucks. I hope Aperture X is not far behind.

I think they learned their lesson on Final cut pro x.

I'll get it on Friday for sure.

As an owner of Logic Pro 9, I personally find this release to be almost offensive.

There's no cross grade.
There's no improvement on core processing issues (all 3rd party plugs load onto one core unless put on busses)
There's no improvement to the function of their effect plugins (compressors, adaptive limiter, etc.)
There's no bridge for 32 bit mode should the need ever arise.

Basically, they made it look like garage band and added some workflow improvements that are really extraneous unless you're brand spanking new to audio production. They've geared it more toward kids and novices than they have toward the serious music professional. They may just push me into the arms of another lady like Pro Tools, Studio One, or FL Studio. Good job, Apple. You suck.

For $199 it's worth every Penny if you don't have it. You can still run 9 and get this. That EXS24 II, ES2, and Sculpture are worth that. Just check the minimum specs first :)

• 4GB of RAM
  • Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher
  • OS X v10.8.4 or later
  • Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
  • Minimum 5GB of disk space. 35GB of optional content available via in-app download.

As an owner of Logic Pro 9, I personally find this release to be almost offensive.

There's no cross grade.
There's no improvement on core processing issues (all 3rd party plugs load onto one core unless put on busses)
There's no improvement to the function of their effect plugins (compressors, adaptive limiter, etc.)

Basically, they made it look like garage band and added some workflow improvements that are really extraneous unless you're brand spanking new to audio production. They've geared it more toward kids and novices than they have toward the serious music professional. They may just push me into the arms of another lady like Pro Tools, Studio One, or FL Studio. Good job, Apple. You suck.

+ 1

I'll continue working with Logic Pro 9 - my SSL hardware and software is worth over 3000$ and 32bit only, but you're right - if I would need to upgrade someday, I'll go for ProTools (because they are really "Pro"Tools not ToyTools :lol ). Call it Garageband Pro not Logic X....

There's no cross grade.

It's time for me to buy a PC, and get Samplitude I reckon. What I will save by not upgrading my Mac I will spend on Samplitude.

I hear it's damn sexy and wont treat me like I'm thick.

There's no cross grade.

At Logic's new price point I'm a-okay with no cross-grade. When I was dropping $500+ for it, yes, I expected upgrade/cross-grade pricing. But for $200, once you count all the samples you get with that, I think it's one of the best deals going out there for full-featured DAW software packages now. There are others out there that do it for less, but also do less and come with less.

As for the rest of the complaints, the only one I agree with is the core processing issues -- they really need to sort that shit out in this era of multi-core machines. The rest -- meh. I happen to like the sound of their core plugins so I'm a-okay they didn't muck with them. And I think we'll see upgrades adding things. My fear until today was that Logic was completely abandoned. This X release says it's not. That's promising.

Still, immagonna let you guys beta test it for a few months before I jump in!

It's time for me to buy a PC, and get Samplitude I reckon. What I will save by not upgrading my Mac I will spend on Samplitude.

Five hundred bucks for that? Pass.

Does Apple do that with Macs too? I got me an iPad for unrealbook and other musicians apps that are just not going to be on Android. But I'm constantly slamming into walls because I want to do something Apple obviously thinks we should not be trusted with. Like file management. There is none on iPads. I have no idea what's on the thing. Apparently any app that imports a file saves it somewhere. But letting another app access the same file is apparently impossible if it isn't in the 'share' menu?

On my Android I'm using SwiftKey as a replacement keyboard and once you get used to that the apple keyboard is humongously annoyingly simple to the point of dumbness. It's a dinosaur. Irritates the kceh out of me every bloody time I use the thing. But apple thoroughly cemented the door shut to any keyboard alternative. And that's not all.

I was however considering a macbook to replace my laptop that decided to die on me last Sunday evening. It was pretty old... Served me well.
But if macbooks take a similar approach to not letting me do it the way I want to, them that's not going to work with me.

Back
Top Bottom