Implemented Lock for the amp speaker impedance curve

JWDubois

Inspired
Currently when you change amp models, the speaker impedance curve resets to whatever the default curve is for the amp model.

If I'm auditioning a lot of amps with a single cab, I have to check and/or reset the speaker impedance curve every time I change amps to match the current cab.

It would be nice to have a lock so the speaker impedance curve would stay fixed when switching amps.

Good God yes! +1

I only use a single IR for my kitchen sink preset, and it drives me nuts to have to switch back to the correct curve every time I try new amps or reset the amp block.

+1. Having a “Lock” button next to the impedance curve selector would be awesome.

Maybe a “Lock Channel” option so you can audition amps in one channel with a set curve without affecting amps in other channels. For instance, having a set 4x12 curve in channel A that doesn’t impact amps with 2x12 curves on channels B-D.

“Lock Preset” - Locks impedance curve for all amp channels within the preset. For instance, setting the impedance curve on channel A automatically switches the curve for amps on channels B-D.

The most straightforward way to implement this would be to add a Global parameter: Amp Block Impedance Curve.

The choices would then be:
Auto
Resistive Load
1x8 Champ
etc.

Selecting Auto would change the impedance curve to the default value when an amp model is selected. Any other value uses that curve whenever a model is selected.

Last edited:
The most straightforward way to implement this would be to add a Global parameter: Amp Block Impedance Curve.

Auto
Resistive Load
1x8 Champ
etc.

Selecting Auto would change the impedance curve to the default value when an amp model is selected. Any other value use that curve whenever a model is selected.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Can you sense my excitement? Wished for this for years.

+1

@FractalAudio what about older pre-11.x curves? I current have "Update Pre-11.x ..." turned off so it won't overwrite older curves I preferred. For example the old band commander curve peaks at 100 Hz but it's current default is 2x12 Double Verb. [I know I could take an existing post-11 curve and modify it but If have to note/know the curves and do that for every amp i wanted to 'revert' to pre-11.]

I'd love to be able to have best of both worlds including a kind of lock feature. Perhaps the pre-11 curves could be provided in the long list which then could be set once and forgotten?

Last edited:

Auto
Resistive Load
1x8 Champ
etc.

Selecting Auto would change the impedance curve to the default value when an amp model is selected. Any other value uses that curve whenever a model is selected.
Oh man, this paired with a global SS poweramp + cab setting would be a game changer.

Auto
Resistive Load
1x8 Champ
etc.

If every preset is locked to the same Impedance Curve, then how do we account for using different Cabs on different presets? i.e. I'd use a 1x12 on my Deluxe preset and a 4x12 with a Marshall, etc. The Global parameter sounds like we'd pick one and use it on every preset, which would result in lots of mismatches except for when you have a preset with the cab that you chose in Global.

Or am I misunderstanding?

If every preset is locked to the same Impedance Curve, then how do we account for using different Cabs on different presets? i.e. I'd use a 1x12 on my Deluxe preset and a 4x12 with a Marshall, etc. The Global parameter sounds like we'd pick one and use it on every preset, which would result in lots of mismatches except for when you have a preset with the cab that you chose in Global.

Or am I misunderstanding?

That's the point of having a global parameter. If you don't want to use it, disable it, and you can set the curve per block / channel / preset.

Back
Top Bottom