Implemented Lock for the amp speaker impedance curve

The Global parameter sounds like we'd pick one and use it on every preset, which would result in lots of mismatches except for when you have a preset with the cab that you chose in Global.
That's the point of having a global parameter. If you don't want to use it, disable it, and you can set the curve per block / channel / preset.

A global has it's own pluses/minuses which is different than a "lock" per channel.

Could this work as best of worlds for a global setting?
As Saved (~ "lock")​
Auto​
Resistive Load​
1x8 Champ​
etc.​

That's the point of having a global parameter. If you don't want to use it, disable it, and you can set the curve per block / channel / preset.
Agreed, but I interpreted OP request to be able to lock the impedance curve in each preset so he could audition different amps and hear the sound with the matching curve for the cab he's using in that preset. If disabled, it will reset every time he changes amps...

There are pluses to the global-setting idea, but also to freezing it for a particular channel of a particular preset.

The completely global approach is an awful big hammer if I just want to try different amps in this preset with the same impedance curve.

That's why a global lock or not lock of the current speaker impedance curve would be far better.

Agreed, but I interpreted OP request to be able to lock the impedance curve in each preset so he could audition different amps and hear the sound with the matching curve for the cab he's using in that preset. If disabled, it will reset every time he changes amps...
Also, I have found that resetting the amp block has helped improve the sound with the last couple of updates but it's a pain to go into adv. setting, find which impedance curve I'm using, reset the amp & then go back & reset the impedance curve to what I was using. Very cumbersome!

Yes, this needs some more thought. :)

The most straightforward way to implement this would be to add a Global parameter: Amp Block Impedance Curve.

The choices would then be:
Auto
Resistive Load
1x8 Champ
etc.

Selecting Auto would change the impedance curve to the default value when an amp model is selected. Any other value uses that curve whenever a model is selected.
I don’t understand. Which of those options would preserve the existing impedance curve, except in the special case where the previous curve already matched your choice of global curve?

I don’t understand. Which of those options would preserve the existing impedance curve, except in the special case where the previous curve already matched your choice of global curve?
And I see this discussion is already occurring. :)

I just started yesterday adjusting the curve to match whatever IR I'm auditioning, and I was stuck by the slowdown in workflow by my doing that. It seems like the most intuitive link would be for the amp block to use wildcards in the titles of IRs in the IR player or cab block to switch to the matched curve whenever possible. I don't know how that would work with more than one IR mixed together, or how feasible that would be to implement

I'm new to the Axe FX, and I'm just getting into the deeper tweaks like this, so maybe it's meant more as a way to alter tone in a more creative way that simply matching. I did find that I could easily prefer the tone of a curve that wouldn't related to the real world.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming I'm not the only person that thought he was missing something. You said it more succinctly than I was trying to :)

Reactions: Rex

I use one cab for cleans and one for crunch and distorted, with only very few exceptions. When selecting new amps they usually sound good with their curve, ok, but it's not logical, right? It's just coincidence.

I use one cab for cleans and one for crunch and distorted, with only very few exceptions. When selecting new amps they usually sound good with their curve, ok, but it's not logical, right? It's just coincidence.
If they sound good, run with that. There's more than one impedance curve that will work with a given cab. Some you might like even better.

Also old wish for me.
I’m using a SS amp with a cab and one IR from that cab (for creating presets on KH monitors) only.
Don't care much whether it sounds exactly the same or not if we're trying to cover something, if it sounds good etc.

My preference would be a global speaker page in the setup, to set global LF Res Freq, Res Q and Res, HF Res Freq and Res, and the imp curve.
Maybe even one enable switch for the set of params and one for imp curve, so user can choose one or the other or both, or none course.
Doesn't need to be in AE imo, frontpanel only is fine.

This would save a lot of time for setups like mine.

Another helpful one would be a global pref to set amp output mode to ss.

If every preset is locked to the same Impedance Curve, then how do we account for using different Cabs on different presets? i.e. I'd use a 1x12 on my Deluxe preset and a 4x12 with a Marshall, etc. The Global parameter sounds like we'd pick one and use it on every preset, which would result in lots of mismatches except for when you have a preset with the cab that you chose in Global.

Or am I misunderstanding?

OP here...

FWIW my preference would be to move the impedance curve selection from the amp block to the cab block. That way it could be set for whatever cab you were using and would stick to the cab on a per preset/cab channel basis.

FWIW my preference would be to move the impedance curve selection from the amp block to the cab block

That's been requested multiple times but according to Cliff not possible as the speaker impedance response directly interacts with the amp circuit. Moving it out would mean he'd have to "hard code" an assumed curve anyway in the amp modeling to have it behave realistically. (By design each block in a grid operates independently, much like a signal chain of cummulative effects.)

I like your lock idea though.

Last edited:
I'm no developer*, but it seems to me like whether the curve is in the amp block or in the cab block shouldn't matter as far as how it functions with the amp; isn't the UI just a representation of some pretty abstract stuff happening in the background anyway? So if putting the curve "in the cab block" made it such that it applied the appropriate default curve in the amp block that is being used at the time...if that makes it easier, I'm not sure what the big deal is? Especially if it just serving to establish an intelligent default that could be overridden.

Not up to me, though, obviously. Merry Christmas, all!

*I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

Or what about a save option to the preset to where if you audition new amps you can go back to the last saved on the curve? just a thought

I'm no developer*, but it seems to me like whether the curve is in the amp block or in the cab block shouldn't matter as far as how it functions with the amp; isn't the UI just a representation of some pretty abstract stuff happening in the background anyway? So if putting the curve "in the cab block" made it such that it applied the appropriate default curve in the amp block that is being used at the time...if that makes it easier, I'm not sure what the big deal is? Especially if it just serving to establish an intelligent default that could be overridden.

Not up to me, though, obviously. Merry Christmas, all!

*I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.
Which amp block would it apply to if you have two?

Also, how does putting it in the Cab block make it easier?

Behind the scenes, I suspect that each effect block type is a distinct entity and the UI has "hooks" into those settings, so putting settings for one block type into another is probably not even feasible.

...isn't the UI just a representation of some pretty abstract stuff happening in the background anyway?
Nope. It's component modeling. The speaker impedance affects how the power amp model processes the signal — it's not just an EQ curve — so putting the impedance curve into the Cab block would require backwards processing flow, which the box doesn't do.

Back
Top Bottom