live video from first concert (festival) gig with AX8

Alan Benjamin

Inspired
Greetings,

Though I've had my AX8 for a while now, the timing coincided with my prog band, Advent, taking an unexpectedly long hiatus from live performance due to the departure of our previous bassist and the time it took to finally find the right player to step in and get things going once again. During that period of time, I've used my AX8 in the studio several times (with great success), but never had a chance to perform with it in any official concert capacity until three weeks ago--at the NJ Proghouse "Fall Hootenanny" festival, commemorating the 20th anniversary of the organization and its work. We just had the opportunity to mix and edit a video from the last tune of our set and I thought I'd share the results here for anyone who might be interested:

In all honesty, it took a while to get used to the transition of playing through an amp, with the air pushing past my legs from the rear, to having everything coming in directly through (fairly low-budget Alto TS212) FRFR wedge monitors in front--but I think I'm finally there. Apparently, my guitar tracks were barely processed in the multi-channel audio mix, so the tones are extremely close to what went out into the room (some of which was captured by live mics, both on stage and in front).

In any case, I sincerely hope you enjoy the results.

Thanks and best wishes,

Alan

Greetings,

Though I've had my AX8 for a while now, the timing coincided with my prog band, Advent, taking an unexpectedly long hiatus from live performance due to the departure of our previous bassist and the time it took to finally find the right player to step in and get things going once again. During that period of time, I've used my AX8 in the studio several times (with great success), but never had a chance to perform with it in any official concert capacity until three weeks ago--at the NJ Proghouse "Fall Hootenanny" festival, commemorating the 20th anniversary of the organization and its work. We just had the opportunity to mix and edit a video from the last tune of our set and I thought I'd share the results here for anyone who might be interested:

In all honesty, it took a while to get used to the transition of playing through an amp, with the air pushing past my legs from the rear, to having everything coming in directly through (fairly low-budget Alto TS212) FRFR wedge monitors in front--but I think I'm finally there. Apparently, my guitar tracks were barely processed in the multi-channel audio mix, so the tones are extremely close to what went out into the room (some of which was captured by live mics, both on stage and in front).

In any case, I sincerely hope you enjoy the results.

Thanks and best wishes,

Alan

Great set! I also use the Alto TS212 and think it’s pretty accurate to my studio monitors!

Hi again,

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback!

BTW, I thought it might be helpful to share that the end fade is accomplished by using an expression pedal to control my (global) output volume. This allows me to maintain the same timbre all the way down (simulating the fade on the studio version of the track). I also like keeping this dedicated output volume pedal in place in case I ever need to duck my volume for any reason.

All the best and thanks again,

Alan

Back
Top Bottom