Live reamp with Axe-Edit

So, I can’t seem to find anything on this subject from any time before 2015-2016 so I was wondering if it’s possible now.

Basically it’s an easy question. Can I use my Axe Fx II as my interface over USB into protools and reamp with Axe edit open? Then just adjust the tone through Axe edit while hearing the results in the mix?

I do it on a mac system with Logic, a Focusrite and the AXE both running via USB. But what I found out is the Windows environment does not allow you to run two interfaces via ASIO4ALL in most cases unless the drivers for those devices are designed for it.

So what computer, operating system and interface are you running?

I do it on a mac system with Logic, a Focusrite and the AXE both running via USB. But what I found out is the Windows environment does not allow you to run two interfaces via ASIO4ALL in most cases unless the drivers for those devices are designed for it.

So what computer, operating system and interface are you running?
Where are you seeing 2 interfaces in the OP? Axe-Edit is for editing presets, it's not an interface and no audio routes through it...

Right, I do have a focusrite 2i2 BUT for this case I’m not using it, I’m using the Axe Fx unit as the interface through USB. I guess I can try it myself but I won’t be able to get to it until next weekend as I’m away from home.

It’s Protools 12.5 on Windows 7 professional (64). I’m wondering if I can open Protools AND Axe edit and then while I am reamping a DI track can I edit the tone in Axe edit at the same time to hear how it will sound in the mix.

Also, I’ve only heard to stay away from ASIO4ALL on multiple occasions.

Where are you seeing 2 interfaces in the OP? Axe-Edit is for editing presets, it's not an interface and no audio routes through it...

The AXE-FX has 6 audio channels plus MIDI via USB. The AXE Edit software utilizes the MIDI function. I was stating that I do what the OP was wanting to do with a second interface on a MAC.

The AXE-FX has 6 audio channels plus MIDI via USB. The AXE Edit software utilizes the MIDI function. I was stating that I do what the OP was wanting to do with a second interface on a MAC.
Axe-Edit might use midi, but that is only for manipulating the Axe Fx. It has nothing to do with the audio interface.

I don’t need Axe Edit to be my interface. I’m just wondering if Axe Edit can communicate with the Axe fx over USB while I am still using the Axe Fx as a USB interface.

This way I can play the song and edit the tones of the re-amped guitar track during playback and hear how it sounds live in the mix, instead of recording a re-amped track over and over again until I like what I hear.

I don’t need Axe Edit to be my interface. I’m just wondering if Axe Edit can communicate with the Axe fx over USB while I am still using the Axe Fx as a USB interface.

This way I can play the song and edit the tones of the re-amped guitar track during playback and hear how it sounds live in the mix, instead of recording a re-amped track over and over again until I like what I hear.
Well, that's good, since it isn't an audio interface ;)

I don't have first hand experience, but it is easy enough for you to try. What's the worst that could happen?

I'm talking about the USB interface in the FX which includes audio and midi.
Please backtrack through this thread and reread what was posted.

You raised the issue of "dual I/O"... There is no dual I/O being discussed. The USB midi is not an audio interface. What doesn't work in Windows is multiple audio interfaces. There is only 1 audio interface being discussed, which is the FAS audio driver.

The USB midi is not relevant to that discussion...

Multiple audio interfaces work in windows.
Use asio4all , i use it every day and ir works perfectly
I guess I was referring to "native support" such as Mac aggregate devices.

In any case, this thread is not really about multiple interfaces. ;)

From what I understand the USB driver supplied by the interface manufacturer has to support the multiple I/o ASIO feature or you cannot implement multiple devices.

I used ASIO4ALL for 10 years in audio video forensic work and it worked well for me. I was happy to get back into the MAC realm for music purposes

Back
Top Bottom