Lets see those PRS's

PRS 509 / 10-Top Custom / Eriza Verde Black Burst.
individual switches "split" the humbuckers for SSS, HSS, SSH, HSH configurations.
Quite a departure from the Music Man JP6 and Majesty I usually play, so it took a while to get used to the weight and bulk, but it's a fantastic guitar.

509.png

individual switches "split" the humbuckers for SSS, HSS, SSH, HSH configurations.
Quite a departure from the Music Man JP6 and Majesty I usually play, so it took a while to get used to the weight and bulk, but it's a fantastic guitar.

View attachment 141228
That's awesome... I love green guitars, and bursts/fades. Rosewood neck?

Just picked this up. 2012 Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield.
View attachment 141248
Man, I love a good SAS. We used to put a Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails in that middle pickup position. I honestly hadn't even realized they went back into production in '11 and '12. I'm not at all surprised that Paul chose to switch to his own pickup when they did though. (I used to work on the night neck sanding team there many years ago, and always thought it was odd that we wound our own pickups, but outsourced for that one specifically.) How does the Narrowfield sound in that middle position? (Before the Silver Sky, I always considered the SAS the "spankiest" PRS in the lineup.) Does the NF do those chimney tones justice?

View attachment 141228
Hey @JoeW-NC love the guitar! I've been interested in the 509 for a while, but heard from others that the "humbucker" settings don't really sound like a true humbucker. Would love to get your take on it.

Hey @JoeW-NC love the guitar! I've been interested in the 509 for a while, but heard from others that the "humbucker" settings don't really sound like a true humbucker. Would love to get your take on it.
I understand the comment, but don't agree. It's certainly a more mellow tone than I get from the MM guitars or my old Ibanez that's loaded with a Duncan Distortion and Hot Rails. Flipping the toggles reveals a more subtle tone change than I'd normally expect from tapping a regular humbucker. They do a pretty nice tone demo of all 9 possible settings on the PRS page for this particular model:
https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/509_2021

Scored a mint limited run CE24 Standard Satin from 2016 recently. Love the stripped down vibe.

img-20240326-wa0010-jpg.20794

Man, I love a good SAS. We used to put a Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails in that middle pickup position. I honestly hadn't even realized they went back into production in '11 and '12. I'm not at all surprised that Paul chose to switch to his own pickup when they did though. (I used to work on the night neck sanding team there many years ago, and always thought it was odd that we wound our own pickups, but outsourced for that one specifically.) How does the Narrowfield sound in that middle position? (Before the Silver Sky, I always considered the SAS the "spankiest" PRS in the lineup.) Does the NF do those chimney tones justice?
Id be lying if i said it did chime. Its kinda there but theres so much low mids that it feels almost too full unless youre into a marshall style gained up amp. I primarily live more in the fender/american territory and its pretty boomy. But for rock music man it slams. I toyed with the idea of putting a full 57/08 in the bridge and routing it, but im gonna play around with it for a while longer.

View attachment 141228
this 509 is ticking a bunch of boxes for me.....unfortunately i'm not familiar with the PRS product history, but did they ever issue a 509 or 513 w/ 24 frets or a CU24 with 509 or 513 switching?

Back
Top Bottom