Lets see those PRS's

2010 25th Anniversary SC 245 Sapphire Smokeburst

Oqm2WMB.jpg[

2002 CE Scarlett Red

Mf0wqjX.jpg

1987 pre-production Paul Reed Smith CE24

In 1987, Paul Reed Smith built a limited number of market test guitars at the Annapolis, MD facility, to gauge how marketable a bolt-on neck PRS guitar might be. I assume they sold well because the CE24 followed very soon after. This one is serial number 87. I bought it new at a friends music store in Northern Virginia within hours of its arrival, and I've been playing it ever since.

There's a brief mention of these guitars in a 'History of Paul reed Smith Guitars' book that I have, but not a lot of information was provided. A call to PRS in the mid-2000's didn't yield much more. Records pertaining to them were lost in a fire at the Annapolis facility long ago.
Ah, I know those guitars. They were the "Classic Electric" precursors to the CE line. There was a Guitar World article on them a few years ago: guitarworld dot com/features/prs-classic-electric

Love the old CEs. My '94 CE24 was my first electric, and it's still my most played guitar:

IMG_3787.jpeg

Stunning guitars. Where did you get the custom tuner knobs and plates?
Vol/tone knobs and pup rings came from Crazy Parts in Germany. The tuner knobs, trc's and back plates came from a member at the PRS Forum name docteurseb (that is not a typo - correct username) who custom stained them for me. We did have to do a second round on the green ones, but he nailed it the second time. Blue ones he got right on first try (without guitars in his hands, pix only). I am not sure if he is still doing this stuff (he did these for me in 2021) but if you go to the PRS forum, you can contact him there. His most recent post on that forum was from Jun '23, but it appears he is still a member. I think I recall him giving a like on some post earlier this year, but I can not be certain of that.

Thanks for the kind words on my little pretties ;~)) "From my cold dead hands" is the best I can say about them!!!

Wow, many great beauties out there. Let me share my small family:
1711973856744.png

Left: In 2010 I stopped smoking – this was my reward, Custom 24 10 top

1711973885208.png

Right: In 2017 I bought this gift for my 60th birthday, P245 with piezo 10 top

1711973916352.png

Middle: My little queen, Private Stock Special Semi-Hollow

1711973944504.png

Back
Top Bottom