Let's see those FM9 rigs!

So, I had a custom road case made for mine due to the height of the FC6 on top of the bridge. You shouldn't need that, your board should fit in a pelican style case.
After a few gigs, the road case was just too cumbersome. I have an old Mono 32X16 pedalboard case. I think it's the Tour model. My board fits in it and that took quite a bit of bulk and weight off the whole package.
At least I have the road case for travel gigs...
Thanks. Yeah I want something light. 32 seems a little wide at first thought but then I could fit the extra expression pedal in there too I guess. I'll check it out.

How and for which purposes you use GR55?.. with keyboard, for special effect?
The keyboard is only used in my home studio when I record and is separate from my guitar rig (FM9/GR-55). When I go out, I use the GR-55 in conjunction with the FM9 for things like guitars (especially acoustic and 12-strings but electrics, too), saxes, horn sections, trombones, Rhodes electric piano, flute, gothic choir, some special effects, etc. When setup up and played properly, those things sound really good. The GR-55 is solely controlled by the FM9 so I have it velcro'd to the top of my rack case and I don't touch it when I’m out. I have it mounted high in my studio because it makes it easy to program. I just did this version of Hotel California where I play the 2nd acoustic guitar in the intro and ALL of the electric guitar parts in real time (just me; one guitar; one track start to finish; no overdubs) that I think turned out quite nice. I played along with a backing track that supplied the 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar, drums, bass, organ and vocals;

Last edited:
The keyboard is only used in my home studio when I record and is separate from my guitar rig (FM9/GR-55). When I go out, I use the GR-55 in conjunction with the FM9 for things like saxes, horn sections, trombones, Rhodes electric piano, flute, gothic choir, some special effects, etc. When setup up and played properly, those things sound really good. The GR-55 is solely controlled by the FM9 so I have it velcro'd to the top of my rack case and I don't touch it when I’m out. I have it mounted high in my studio because it makes it easy to program. I just did this version of Hotel California where I play the 2nd acoustic guitar in the intro and ALL of the electric guitar parts in real time (just me; one guitar; one track start to finish; no overdubs) that I think turned out quite nice. I played along with a backing track that supplied the 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar, drums, bass, organ and vocals;

If you have a Google account and are signed in, the above link will stream the file to you. Otherwise, it will make you download it.
Yes, my Google account..Dukey.. Also I've GR55 as well as FM9. I think you rule GR55 via FM9 midi signal.. too dificult for me.
My band wish to add the Hotel California into the list... Really good idea using GR55 with FM9.... too complicated thing for me.

Yes, my Google account..Dukey.. Also I've GR55 as well as FM9. I think you rule GR55 via FM9 midi signal.. too dificult for me.
My band wish to add the Hotel California into the list... Really good idea using GR55 with FM9.... too complicated thing for me.
MIDI in this setup isn't hard at all (within basic usage). Connect a MIDI cable from the FM9 MIDI out to the GR-55 MIDI in. That's the only HW connection. Then insert a MIDI block within the scenes of your preset to trigger a preset on the GR-55:

1682398584731.png

That's it. I don't think you can switch banks - Lead, Rhythm, Other, User - via MIDI (but I'm not sure???) so I placed all the patches I use in my "User" bank on the GR-55 and have the GR-55 set to that bank when I start and I'm good to go.

As for the Hotel California setup - yes, that is super complicated and requires that I hit a footswitch 48 times throughout the course of the song....yikes!

Well, it arrived. I’m still considering whether I want to even bother with the FC6. I don’t think I’ll need it. I’ll probably go ahead and mount it to the Temple Duo 24 for no other reason than I want to relocate the input jack. Well, okay it also looks cool. Sue me. :)

The EV2s will likely just sit on the floor. However if I do decide to use the FC6, that and the pair of EV2s may reside on a 2nd Duo 24.

Hopefully Chad gets the Skins going soon as I’m looking forward to matching the FM9 to my FM3/FC6 aesthetics.

View attachment 88929

View attachment 88930
Is the last pic on a DUO24? I am wanting a board for a FM9 and EV2 pedal. It that is a DUO24, my question has been answered. I just don't need all the additional space a DUO34 would offer. Thanks!

Is the last pic on a DUO24? I am wanting a board for a FM9 and EV2 pedal. It that is a DUO24, my question has been answered. I just don't need all the additional space a DUO34 would offer. Thanks!
Yup. That was a Duo 24.

Also, take a look at my most recent build. That's a 24" wide Creation Music board. I wasn't able to put the handles on it. I think I put the FM9 and an EV2 on a Duo 24 at one point and had to remove the handles from the board.

Edit: I remembered correctly.

Last edited:
So. Wanting to lighten the board and downsize a bit, and inspired by the board @rcm78 posted, I decided to rebuild. The old setup was 34lbs. This one is 25. Some details:
  • Creation Music Aero 24x16
  • Fix pedalboards bridge 23x6x3
  • Custom back panel I designed and had built by Front Panel Express
  • Side panel has a headphone jack and an input for if I want to use another expression pedal
  • Most cables are Mogami 2319 or 2552 with Squareplugs straight plugs on one end and various XLR or TRS/TS connectors from Amazon
  • Power connector is a Temple Audio IEC Power Mod customized into a Y-cable
  • Cables for the bridge are Lava Cable tightrope solderless
  • FM9 attached with screws
  • Moog Expression pedal attached with 3M Dual Lock

View attachment 119769

View attachment 119770

View attachment 119771

View attachment 119772

View attachment 119774
I elected early on to NOT mount my FM( to a board. But now you've got me rethinking that. This is the cleanest, slickest build I've seen in a while. The bridge stays closed with magnets?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? LOL because I would love to duplicate this board. Very Cool!

Last edited:
I elected early on to NOT mount my FM( to a board. But now you've got me rethinking that. This is the cleanest, slickest build I've seen in a while. The bridge stays closed with magnets?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? LOL because I would love to duplicate this board. Very Cool!
Yeah the bridge has magnets to keep it down. And they're strong enough for sure lol. Go for it. Let me know if you have any questions. I also can provide the info for the custom back plate if needed.

My FM9 will not stay on my board no matter what I do it seems. I have a Friedman pedalboard and it loads up into a bag that came with it. Problem with the dual lock is there’s nowhere to mount it that will be flush with the board. The rubber feet encompass both entire sides and are not removable. IMO this is the single design flaw of the unit. There seems to be no easy way to fasten the FM9 down.

How in the H E double hockey sticks do I keep the FM9 from falling off my board? I even tried sandwiching up the dual lock strips to meet the bottom of the board but this doesnt work, either.

Back
Top Bottom