Latency reporting to DAW

It's real simple. You have to look at the physical analog signal being able to operate within an optimal frequency for signal detection temporal advancement. All you need to do is temporarily shift the signal into a frequency which will advance detection of the analog signal and offset or eliminate signal transmissions and processing delays.
What?

It's real simple. You have to look at the physical analog signal being able to operate within an optimal frequency for signal detection temporal advancement. All you need to do is temporarily shift the signal into a frequency which will advance detection of the analog signal and offset or eliminate signal transmissions and processing delays.

Paging Geordi La Forge…

I've written about this in the past:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/#post-1636630
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ton-live-10-and-axe-fx-3.168989/#post-2032186

Maybe it would just be easier for FAS to remove the configurable Axe-Fx USB buffer size, make it as small as possible (say 16? 32?), make that robust and have it behave sanely across Axe-Fx III reboots. Then like most other USB interfaces, because the buffering is small (32 samples at 48KHz ~= 666us) I bet that would be good enough.

I've written about this in the past:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-latency-issues-with-usb.137958/#post-1636630
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ton-live-10-and-axe-fx-3.168989/#post-2032186

Maybe it would just be easier for FAS to remove the configurable Axe-Fx USB buffer size, make it as small as possible (say 16? 32?), make that robust and have it behave sanely across Axe-Fx III reboots. Then like most other USB interfaces, because the buffering is small (32 samples at 48KHz ~= 666us) I bet that would be good enough.
It depends on the situation - personally my laptop won't handle a buffer that small without the risk of clicks and I don't monitor via the software of the daw so a longer buffer is perfectly acceptable.
Also if I'm mixing, increasing the buffer means I can run more fx and vst etc.
The USB driver for the Fm3 are generally not the greatest and can't seem to handle this very well.

It depends on the situation - personally my laptop won't handle a buffer that small without the risk of clicks and I don't monitor via the software of the daw so a longer buffer is perfectly acceptable.
Also if I'm mixing, increasing the buffer means I can run more fx and vst etc.
The USB driver for the Fm3 are generally not the greatest and can't seem to handle this very well.
No, AlbertA is correct. You're talking about a different buffer. AlbertA is referring to the buffer in the AxeFX. Here's another explanation that may make it clear (by the way, I just learned that many of the findings in this post were reported by AlbertA 4 years ago :) ):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...rding-due-to-usb-latency-compensation.181686/

@amandio Thanks for taking care of that issue. I think, DAWs do actually take reported processing delays of audio interfaces per audio stream into account. Otherwise you'd run into phase relation trouble with 3D/multichannel audio.

Also, will FM3 users get some love as well? :)

When I first got my fm3, I was excited to use the USB interface (maybe because of pod XT day nostalgia). But I just couldn't record multiple guitars that were properly on the beat. I'm not the most perfectionist player in that regard, but something just felt wrong.

I assumed I was getting too rusty.

Eventually started using my interface again. All fine. "Rust is wearing off", I thought! But I switched to FM3 interface a while ago for some recording usage and holy moly -- again the "rust" was back.

Then I tested back and forth and it became obvious there's something off here.

So I'm glad the issue is getting attention it deserves. Will be using my dedicated interface till there's major firmware addressing this issue (well, for fm3, if it happens).

Last edited:
When I first got my fm3, I was excited to use the USB interface (maybe because of pod XT day nostalgia). But I just couldn't record multiple guitars that were properly on the beat. I'm not the most perfectionist player in that regard, but something just felt wrong.

I assumed I was getting too rusty.

Eventually started using my interface again. All fine. "Rust is wearing off", I thought! But I switched to FM3 interface a while ago for some recording usage and holy moly -- again the "rust" was back.

Then I tested back and forth and it became obvious there's something off here.

So I'm glad the issue is getting attention it deserves. Will be using my dedicated interface till there's major firmware addressing this issue (well, for fm3, if it happens).
Yeah same thing here. I then configured the recording offset compensation in all of my DAW's, but I got annoyed having to change it for differing sample-rates. So that's when I went back to a regular interface.

FWIW - Presonus Quantum with Axe connected via SPDIF was working amazingly well for me. I shall be doing similar when I get the FM9.

Much thanks to @GlennO and @AlbertA for their persistence and detailed research.
I hope these issues eventually get settled for real.

Do I understand rightly that SPDIF on Fractal devices oesn't have any of these issues?

Yeah same thing here. I then configured the recording offset compensation in all of my DAW's, but I got annoyed having to change it for differing sample-rates. So that's when I went back to a regular interface.

FWIW - Presonus Quantum with Axe connected via SPDIF was working amazingly well for me. I shall be doing similar when I get the FM9.
Different sample rates? I thought it was fixed at 48k. I get pretty stable results with the FM3 at a buffer size of 192 on the device, either 512 or 128 samples in ASIO and a latency compensation set in my DAW at 790 samples.

Back
Top Bottom