Latency reporting to DAW

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I've had some time in the past few days to work on this issue again. I've been in direct contact with some forum users to try some things and see if I'm heading in the right direction. Just to be clear, what I am currently working to resolve is when the latency is changing when it shouldn't, not the original title of this thread which is a separate mechanism that sends additional latency info to the computer. In other words, once you've set up your AXE FX III and your latency compensation has been set in your DAW, you should not see a change in latency after the fact.

I'm not shooting down the original request of this thread, but I first need to know that the latency stops jumping around.

And now a question. Can someone give me the names of some DAWs for Windows that support this feature? In other words, what DAWs support reading the latency of the unit? Again, to be very clear, I'm not talking about the ASIO buffer size/latency. I'm talking about the latency of the unit itself. From what I've read on this thread it sounds like some DAWs support complete automatic latency detection of both the ASIO latency and the latency of the unit (as long as the unit has the ability to report this additional info).

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I've had some time in the past few days to work on this issue again. I've been in direct contact with some forum users to try some things and see if I'm heading in the right direction. Just to be clear, what I am currently working to resolve is when the latency is changing when it shouldn't, not the original title of this thread which is a separate mechanism that sends additional latency info to the computer. In other words, once you've set up your AXE FX III and your latency compensation has been set in your DAW, you should not see a change in latency after the fact.

I'm not shooting down the original request of this thread, but I first need to know that the latency stops jumping around.

And now a question. Can someone give me the names of some DAWs for Windows that support this feature? In other words, what DAWs support reading the latency of the unit? Again, to be very clear, I'm not talking about the ASIO buffer size/latency. I'm talking about the latency of the unit itself. From what I've read on this thread it sounds like some DAWs support complete automatic latency detection of both the ASIO latency and the latency of the unit (as long as the unit has the ability to report this additional info).

Thanks!
If I fully grasp what you’re asking, Studio Ones pipeline will ping the AxeFX and give you a total round trip in samples.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

I believe quite a few do - Reaper, Studio One, Cubase 12, and Cakewalk Bandlab. Been a while since I looked at this though, so I could be wrong.

I always thought that latency reporting was part of the ASIO spec.

If I fully grasp what you’re asking, Studio Ones pipeline will ping the AxeFX and give you a total round trip in samples.
I think he wants to know which DAW's support automatic reporting of the latency. Not the ones where you can calculate and type it in yourself.

Cubase for sure. But as AndyTNDB mentioned, I also thought it was a part of the specially designed ASIO-driver, for the specific soundcard?!

Yeah I think most modern DAWs these days do automatic compensation.
A DAW that doesn’t do automatic latency compensation would be utterly useless for recording. But that‘s not what Amandio is asking about. His question probably should have been worded differently and avoided the word “automatic”. His question isn’t about the DAW anyway. It’s more a question about the implementation details of a particular driver.

@amandio you may check if the "jumpy latency" is due to the USB Buffer Size resetting to 128. I think this "reset to 128" happens any time the USB stream stops and then starts again ...not just due to powering the Axe-FX down.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-reporting-to-daw.177908/post-2224971
USB Buffer Size resets to 128 after power down

Also, Reaper can get an "automatic" ping loopback via the ReaInsert plugin:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all your responses. I have another update for you wrt latency issues you have reported.

I've been testing a fix for the bug where the usb buffer size gets reset back to the default of 128 as @sixtystring and @AlbertA (and maybe a few others) have reported here and in other threads.

I've also been investigating another source of latency problems that only happens on Windows. I've been working with our ASIO driver developer to try and get to the bottom of this.

Finally, I've also been looking into having the AXE FX III return extra latency info to the computer so that no manual compensation is necessary. While it is technically possible to do this, there are some non-trivial limitations that I'd need to think carefully about first. So this ability may or may not happen. It depends on what else I find.

When I get more info I will update you.

Again, thank you all for your continued patience and help!

Thank you armandio.

Current FM3 owner. On FM9 waitlist. The day this is adequately resolved, is the day I order a III Turbo. Just not at all on par with everything else about FAS.

Enjoy your weekend, and thanks again.

Now THAT is impressive, @GlennO!!!

Thanks a LOT for your persistence and countless workarounds! Only thing is... I'm now going to need to pony-up for a Turbo. Must stay true to my word... the day this is resolved... Turbo/FC12 order will be placed.

ps- any chance you're a Pro Tools man?

Just to comment... If my Axe3 is on when I launch my DAW (cakewalk)

DAW insists that my delay compensation device is the Axe. Cannot change it. It causes lots of burps and hiccups.

I have to turn my Axe off. and since it's the clock source for my Focusrite box, then Windows bitches...

Turn on the DAW, let it load...

Then power on the Axe. Then click through the 'do you want to add the Axe?'

It's kind of a pain. Hopefully the upcoming USB driver will take care of this. On the bright side, if this was any other manufacturer, you'd just assume this was your fate. FAS gets actively pissed when shit don't work, and you can depend on a solution.

Do you guys know if the same issues affect the fm3 and fm9 as well?
Eventually I hope the fix will trickle down to those devices too once it's officially released for the axe (should receive my fm9 in August)

Now THAT is impressive, @GlennO!!!

Thanks a LOT for your persistence and countless workarounds! Only thing is... I'm now going to need to pony-up for a Turbo. Must stay true to my word... the day this is resolved... Turbo/FC12 order will be placed.

ps- any chance you're a Pro Tools man?
I know my way around ProTools and I'm an expert on AAX, but I wouldn't call myself a ProTools man. The DUC forum is the place to go if you have ProTools questions.

Back
Top Bottom