Last 2 Tap Tempo

I wonder if it has anything to do with the model of MFC you have? I know on the first version, the switches had a mechanical breakover point, sorta like a gun trigger. Trying to hit that with the same pressure each time could prove challenging and change your timing. It only takes a few milliseconds difference from beat to beat for it to add up over time to a miss in time. Assuming, of course, that your timing is perfect.

I have the mk III.

I would agree with this IF I also had problems with other tap-time devices. I don't. All three of the other delays I have work about as perfectly as I could expect...to the point that I've never even noticed them ever having an issue with "locking in" to the correct tempo. That's about the best compliment I can give them, because I SHOULDN'T notice them. They should just work; and they do. With the Axe, I have to re-tap several times a song, not because our (band's) tempo is changing but because it just doesn't lock in accurately very easily.

I don't care about the LEDs or really notice them much but best case scenario would be to give users a choice of "average" or "last two", and have LEDs sync perfectly with the actual taps rather than just the bpm in a general sense. LEDs might already sync accurately to taps, but as the taps themselves aren't accurate to the song's tempo, the LEDs aren't either. I don't know. For me it just boils down to this: three other tap-devices I have work perfectly. Axe's tap function is very difficult to get time-based effects in sync with the song.

100% agree I come from a traditional pedalboard and never felt that the tap tempo were inaccurate or hard to use, it`s only when I got the axe fx that I realized that there`s something weird about it.

I'm a professional in usability and user research. One of the first things I learned is that what users say they want is often not what they actually need. You have to poke below the surface of what they're saying to figure out what is really needed. I almost wonder if the "last two" as initially put out there was misinterpreted by some people as "only two?" That would certainly lead to averaging requests.

If implemented the way I think it was, you can tap as many times as you feel like, and it would just use the last two taps, which should work well. Averaging over ten requires too much input, and also ends up using those first few taps as part of the average, which are always dodgy until you get your beer balance back.

I'd love to get more precise control over this: getting timed effects coordinated with the song tempo is one of the key strengths.

I can see where you came to this, but it isn't the case with the Axe. It actually reads up to 10 previous taps and takes an average of the (up to) 10. If you don't nail it, you must wait 2 seconds before trying again. Otherwise, if your re-try is within that 2 second window, it will continue averaging your taps up to 10.

See my original post linked to in OP. That thread should also have relevant info (or more links) that confirms this.

In any case, *ideal* in my opinion would be exactly as you described, tap as much as you want, but only the last two are measured for tap-tempo purposes. That's exactly how all other TT devices I've come across operate.

rotti, I think greiswig meant the original implementation of tap tempo before it got changed to averaging 10 taps. The axe fx actually had the 2 taps but people requested the 10 taps averaging; I think what greiswig is saying is that people requested the change because they did not understand the concept of the last two taps.

rotti, I think greiswig meant the original implementation of tap tempo before it got changed to averaging 10 taps. The axe fx actually had the 2 taps but people requested the 10 taps averaging; I think what greiswig is saying is that people requested the change because they did not understand the concept of the last two taps.

If the OP needs to "follow" another band member also using tap tempo, midi clock may be the way to go. My RJM Mastermind GT can act as master or slave and I have my rack all synced to it. I am going to add another splitter at the GT midi out and have already tested syncing a POD HD500x to my rack in case another guitarist were to need beat synced effects as well.

I understand the averaging request and think many people benefit from it. But for me, if i accidentally tap 1 tap WAY off, i have to wait 2 seconds to tap again and get the tempo back on track. I can't sit there tapping to average it out for 4 measures while playing and singing haha.

Last 2 seems the fastest way to me, especially with live drums, resetting tempo throughout the song.

Thanks for the upcoming option!!

I think this will finally bring to rest the tap tempo discussion... Thanks Cliff!! Outstanding!

I keep checking to see if there's a new version...or a beta version...because I'm excited to get the tap issue sorted out. Love it.

Knowing Cliff, he probably got the new global option done quickly, but then thought of yet another tweak that added even better tone or dynamics, and then figured he'd throw in a few more new amp models, and maybe a couple more IR samples for CP10, so probably will be a few more days aka "soon", but I sure no one minds waiting.

Its amazing how the dude not only listens to customer feedback and sets right to changing something, but then he always goes way above and beyond and throws in some nice freebies too. It would be like taking your car for an oil change and the mechanic saying not only will there be no charge for the service, but they also saw your gas was low so ran out and filled your tank.

Never can go wrong in business by always exceeded your customers expectations

I looked for this option and could not find it......Where do I find this option on the unit itself and in the axe-edit?
You'll find it when the next firmware is released. Cliff can't just reach through the air and change your Axe-Fx at will. :)

Back
Top Bottom