Kinda freaking out a little...

Yeah, the key to fix the issue is reload the firmware.

But there is something that confuses me...
People are definetely hearing weirdness after a firmware update that solves reloading the firmware... But Cliff says that the firmware passes a zillion of checks before it gets finally installed in the system and if something is wrong, it could be due to some system settings that could be changed because of the update.

Then, Why not include a System Reset as a part of the firmware update? That way anyone would have sound issues after the update... And setting your system parameters after every update would be part of the procedure of updating a firmware.

No please

No please
Haha... I didn't said nothing ;)

What scares people is not the sound issues. Is not knowing if they have sound issues... The uncertainty.
After a update you hear something odd... Not totally wrong, just different and you start thinking if it's part of the "new sound" of the firmware or something went wrong and you should reload... But how to know it for sure? You reload the firmware 3 times and still there... Then what you hear is normal? or maybe in the fourth reload will sound different?

That's what is driving nuts some people. Not knowing if what they hear it's how it should sound.

Haha... I didn't said nothing ;)

What scares people is not the sound issues. Is not knowing if they have sound issues... The uncertainty.
After a update you hear something odd... Not totally wrong, just different and you start thinking if it's part of the "new sound" of the firmware or something went wrong and you should reload... But how to know it for sure? You reload the firmware 3 times and still there... Then what you hear is normal? or maybe in the fourth reload will sound different?

That's what is driving nuts some people. Not knowing if what they hear it's how it should sound.

That's why I posted this:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...erence-audio-comparison-purposes-fw-19-a.html

I totally forgot that thread.

That was a really neat idea, but it has one important variable... The guitar and the player (the technique).
It would be awesome to have just a couple of DI Tracks, one for clean stuff and one for distortion to get better results.

Someone wondering if his Axe sound as it should, could grab the DI, reamp it following your procedure (System reset, clean preset, etc...) and check with somebody else if it sounds the same.
It doesn't matter if it sounds good or bad (the amp and cab are default). What matters is if it sound the same.

I had sound issues once and a system reset fixed it...

But when I was installing the beta the screen looked like that - and I was really scared ;-)
image.jpg

Installation went "fine" though, but isn"t it strange (and non-deterministic)?

PS: Qunatum seems to sound a lot darker to me too but I don"t trust my ears...

If the following is true:

Firmware install attempt 1 --
firmware is successfully installed and verified, and an unknown system setting status is changed (either at random, or by design)

Proceeded by...

Firmware install attempt 2
firmware is successfully installed and verified, and system settings were *changed back* to status prior to install #1 (and how could that be? did it store the initial state somewhere?)

Then, this should be investigated and fixed.

Hi Simeon.

FWIW, by coincidence, I downloaded your latest Synth patches the other night an ran them with Quantum. They sounded fantastic to me. However, the last time I played with your patches was somewhere around R17, so I don't have a "fresh" memory comparison (I've updated the AxeFXII with every Beta and released firmware between R17 and Quantum). I too did a complete, clean install of Quantum and reset all parameters to factory defaults and re-loaded all the original, but updated factory patches. In other words, I started with a complete, factory clean plate on the FXII before installing my custom patches, etc.

I hope you're able to get everything working on your rig. Thanks again for all of your contributions to the community!

well i went back to 20b, so i can get through this weekend's gigs without any worries. week after next i have nothing on, so i'll probably try again then. if it sounds the same i'll do a system reset and if it still sounds the same, i'll just have to reset the amps and start again.

noticed huge difference after resetting the amps. That was the trick for me !

I seldom say it, but this firmware really is a huge difference in feel and sound

Having experienced this oddity with a previous firmware release it certainly is a strange duck and jarring when it happens. System reset did nothing... Things didn't sound bad, just off and that was using the factory presets had just loaded that came with that firmware release too. What finally confirmed something wasn't right was a clip someone posted of a stock preset, mine sounded nothing like it. Reloaded the firmware and instant match.

Could it be user errror, sure. I'll never know root cause but was just thankful having the clip for comparison.

I totally forgot that thread.

That was a really neat idea, but it has one important variable... The guitar and the player (the technique).
It would be awesome to have just a couple of DI Tracks, one for clean stuff and one for distortion to get better results.

Someone wondering if his Axe sound as it should, could grab the DI, reamp it following your procedure (System reset, clean preset, etc...) and check with somebody else if it sounds the same.
It doesn't matter if it sounds good or bad (the amp and cab are default). What matters is if it sound the same.

It is weird indeed.
I had a suspicion that the Axe sounds different on different Axes because of installation errors or something for quite a while now... But I can't confirm it. People say "They can't be different, because it's code", "It's the settings" or "He thinks it's worse because oh his taste" but I am a bit suspicious of those claims.

The thread yek made can help figuring this out, but only if he shared DI's. Then again, unlikely, but how could we be sure his Axe sounds right? :D

Note: The new firmware has no "Reset all amps" option?...

Never ever had any issues, except that apparently along all the FW downloads one or two UR cab blocks got corrupted resulting in CPU overload. As for the FW Quantum I just find it's a bit more compressed, which probably would need some tweaking around.
Will do a system reset, just in case, does this mean I'd have to reprogram all midi parameters and harmoniser user settings ? Or can I just check if all is allright, make a backup end then reload the backup ?

the weak link could be the transfer. the axe verifies the file it receives, but only internally. it just checks what it's installed against what it received. if what it received is corrupted, then it can't possibly know that. if the file downloads from fractal's servers ok, then the problem must be in the transfer from the computer to the axe. but then resetting system params, or resetting the amps wouldn't make any difference. it's gremlins, i tell you...gremlins...

the weak link could be the transfer. the axe verifies the file it receives, but only internally. it just checks what it's installed against what it received. if what it received is corrupted, then it can't possibly know that. if the file downloads from fractal's servers ok, then the problem must be in the transfer from the computer to the axe. but then resetting system params, or resetting the amps wouldn't make any difference. it's gremlins, i tell you...gremlins...

Agreed!!! The only thing that might be worse than sound gear concerning Gremlins is Vacuum cleaners!! They're all possessed!

I had sound issues once and a system reset fixed it...

But when I was installing the beta the screen looked like that - and I was really scared ;-)
View attachment 27688

Installation went "fine" though, but isn"t it strange (and non-deterministic)?

Has anybody else seen something like that happening on the screen during update process? (Cliff, any idea what could be the cause?)

Best Regards,

Christian.

I had a suspicion that the Axe sounds different on different Axes because of installation errors or something for quite a while now... But I can't confirm it.

That's like saying "The calculated values in my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet are different based on what computer I open it on".

In order for it to sound different, something else in the chain is different.

I'm pretty sure that it also checks checksums, which are delivered within the firmware. It is possible that the firmware delivered to the Axe has some bits swapped, but it's highly unlikely that the swapping of bits also changes the internally stored checksum in a way that now it's the right checksum again. Hmmmm ... Get what I mean?

If there's no error in the checksum tests, there's literally no way the check after the installation passes if the delivered data got corrupted. The universe will have ended before this happens.

There must be another reason!!!

One last idea:
Does someone of you guys know how to intentionally corrupt the data delivered to the Axe? If so, please give it a try.

"The calculated values in my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet are different based on what computer I open it on".
If you open your excel sheet with another program, there might be differences.
Or if Excel had a bug in it, it could open the program with some difference...
This is just blind speculation, of course.

Yeah, the key to fix the issue is reload the firmware.

But there is something that confuses me...
People are definitely hearing weirdness after a firmware update that solves reloading the firmware... But Cliff says that the firmware passes a zillion of checks before it gets finally installed in the system and if something is wrong, it could be due to some system settings that could be changed because of the update.

Then, Why not include a System Reset as a part of the firmware update? That way no one would have sound issues after the update... And setting your system parameters after every update would be part of the procedure of updating a firmware.

I have never had this issue, but I usually reset everything after I update. I only use a few presets, so I can usually re-create them in under 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom