JUSTIN DERRICO (P!nk & The Voice) Fractal Axe-Fx III Tone Tour

Gain - how overdriven/distorted is the sound
EQ - Balance of your frequency spectrum
Compression - dynamic range of the signal
Volume - DB of mix
Even more confusing because from an audio perspective, Gain just means level of amplitude... And so does Volume ;)

Guitarists tend to mean distortion / drive when we say "gain" but context is important :)

Even more confusing because from an audio perspective, Gain just means level of amplitude... And so does Volume ;)

Guitarists tend to mean distortion / drive when we say "gain" but context is important :)
Gain refers to amplification by a device, and in cascaded gain applications such as guitar amps and the like it equates to saturation/clipping/compression/distortion/harmonic generation.

Volume equates to SPL (Sound Pressure Level).

A few things going on in guitar tone in any mix situation in layman’s terms:

Gain - how overdriven/distorted is the sound
EQ - Balance of your frequency spectrum
Compression - dynamic range of the signal
Volume - DB of mix

There are more along with these, but this is kind of a basic way to think about it. These also are related. More gain can mean more distortion, but distortion is a form of compression in that it clips the signal to have less dynamic range. Too much compression/distortion can make the guitar sit awkwardly in the mix. Too little though and the guitar won’t be consistent and could be hard to mix. It is easier to for the sound tech to add compression though to even out the guitar as they want in the mix.

EQ is the control and tone of the frequency balance. A “bright” tone has more high end, a “warm” tone more low end. The fun part with this is that the human ear hears differently at different volume levels. Quiet sounds are perceived to have more midrange with the human ear hearing closer to a “flat” sound nearer to 90DB.

All of these come together for the tone. Personally I find if I am the only guitar player, I can get away with more gain and a warmer tone in the mix to fill in the midrange content but not get in the way of the clarity of the vocal. But if there is another guitarist, I will turn down the gain and compression and brighten my tone a bit or cut low mids.

Hearing the level of gain in Justin’s presets in the video and not having heard it in a mix has me thinking that he gets to play through a LOUD PA at shows and might be the only electric guitarist on at least most of the songs.

I hope that helps! The tones in the video are wicked too! Makes me want to play with the pitch block again! And got me to put down my Novo and K-Line and pick up my Les Paul for the first time in a few weeks!
Plan to read this when I have more time sit and digest it. Not ignoring you lol

Gain refers to amplification by a device, and in cascaded gain applications such as guitar amps and the like it equates to saturation/clipping/compression/distortion/harmonic generation.

Volume equates to SPL (Sound Pressure Level).
In a way yes, gain is strengthen of signal, which can be dependent on medium. Volume in air is DBspl as I understand. Whereas I believe gain can be measured in DBfs, DBv, and I think another, along with voltage. Since I entered audio post digital becoming common, I personally am most familiar with DBfs (Full Scale) for digital audio and the SPL for the “real world” in the air realm. Let me know if I missed DB type!

Again guessing on the tones in Justin’s video, he gets to play at loud SPL levels in arenas

@Cooper Carter, would you mind just giving us a hint about what's going on with the POG stuff around 12:17? It doesn't sound as heavy as the previous POG examples. Is it just an octave up and dialling back the lower one some? It has almost a 12-string kinda vibe, really cool!

@Cooper Carter, would you mind just giving us a hint about what's going on with the POG stuff around 12:17? It doesn't sound as heavy as the previous POG examples. Is it just an octave up and dialling back the lower one some? It has almost a 12-string kinda vibe, really cool!

It's a 12-string emulation -- two voices, both +12, panned L/R, a bit of pitch adjustment to each. Mix to taste around 30%.

Hi. my question is how does hr get the Synth block to play whatever note you send it on the fly? It's not Pitch so normally you would have to setup a key per scene or a preset sequence. Here it is playing each note. Ideas?

Great tones and playing! I hadn't heard of this guy, and I don't know anything about Pink and her music, but it's clear to me just from that one video that this guy could probably be dropped into quite a few different scenarios and kill it.

If any of his settings ever show up in a gift of tone, I would be all over it. ;)

I haven't had my FM9 very long yet, and I'm still learning...(maybe always will be), and I'm still deciding what sounds I want to use live. Luckily, everything has come together time-wise for me now, and I have some time to work it out. When I got my FX8 I think I had one or two days to get it working with my TC 50 for all the midi changing of amp channels and solo boosts...then off to the gig. lol

Hadn’t heard of Justin before but seemed like a cool guy so I went down a YouTube rabbit hole he’s got some great interviews. Notably the Tim pierce and Pete thorn show as well as his session with fish man pickups.

Enjoy

He is a monster player for sure. I first heard about him on Jude Gold's No Guitar Is Safe Podcast. I discovered quite a few players listening to that podcast.

Back
Top Bottom