JUSTIN DERRICO (P!nk & The Voice) Fractal Axe-Fx III Tone Tour

3:26 is an example, where I hear a lot of unnecessary low-end energy. It might be that this is what Justin likes, and the FOH engineer just high passes him :) (or it still just might be that I am wrong :D )
No right or wrong, I was just curious. I kind of like that tone, and would call that low end chunk and not rumble, but we all hear things differently,
and that's what makes the world go round. biggrin.gif

Amazing tones, and nice work @Cooper Carter !! I would love to see the grid configuration on these presets. Also curious about nitty gritty stuff like hi/low cut settings on the cab, or any smoothing or proximity dialed in as well? Is there any hi/low cut on chorus/delay/reverb blocks? Looks like all 4 OUTS are in use, so is each OUT EQ'd to taste using GEQ, PEQ or other?

I realize we're hearing USB direct into ProTools which is a copy of OUT1 if I'm not mistaken? This is also what you're sending to FOH, so I imagine they are EQing a fair amount based on the room each night.

I'm just super curious how much you "manicure" the tone before handing it off to FOH (and other OUTs), and I realize this is an uber pro tour with talented sound engineers. In my pleb realm of small club gigs, I try to do as much approximate EQing work as possible before the gig, so adjustments at the gig are quick and easy... because lord knows the sound guy (if there even is one) will pretty much set levels and then walk away, lol... Understanding what is done at the major tour level is interesting to me.

Cheers! :cool:

@Cooper Carter around 4:15 in the most recent video, JDerrico demos his lead sound with the huge delay. How is his delay setup? I have trouble getting my delays to be that pronounced without burying my actual guitar tone.
I’m not sure how Coop set it up, but from my experience, putting the delay as a parallel path allows the unadulterated signal to flow through. It also allows you to pan the signal, to achieve a wet/dry kind of sound.

I’m not sure how Coop set it up, but from my experience, putting the delay as a parallel path allows the unadulterated signal to flow through. It also allows you to pan the signal, to achieve a wet/dry kind of sound.
And what level do you set the delay block at then with mix and input gain at 100?

@Cooper Carter around 4:15 in the most recent video, JDerrico demos his lead sound with the huge delay. How is his delay setup? I have trouble getting my delays to be that pronounced without burying my actual guitar tone.
Same here, having a hard time with delay too.

And I would like to see the enhancer block settings too

I've struggled with the idea of getting my tone to sit perfectly in the mix. In the end, if it sounds thin and 2khz dominant, I'll play that way. If it sounds harmonically rich, full, and huge - I'll play that way. I keep my tones balanced and full, but not necessarily FOH perfect. I let our sound engineer do that. I love his fat, rich, full-bodied tones!

I’m not crazy about the Plex delay or aurora delay for the songs my cover Band has to cover. I like the idea of the aurora delay but I always feel like it’s a bit too much when I have to solo. I’ve tried my effects in series, with the send and return loops, and toying with effects in parallel now, but I always seem to get not enough or too much and the tone gets buried. JDerrico had a really gnarly delay in the second video.

I’m not crazy about the Plex delay or aurora delay for the songs my cover Band has to cover. I like the idea of the aurora delay but I always feel like it’s a bit too much when I have to solo. I’ve tried my effects in series, with the send and return loops, and toying with effects in parallel now, but I always seem to get not enough or too much and the tone gets buried. JDerrico had a really gnarly delay in the second video.
Are you using ducking?

i dont believe so since I dont really know what that is?
I believe there’s a Leon Todd tutorial to explain better than I + settings but short version is the delay “ducks” out of the way while you play. So crazy runs wont be messy and that last note will have the tails nicely.

I believe there’s a Leon Todd tutorial to explain better than I + settings but short version is the delay “ducks” out of the way while you play. So crazy runs wont be messy and that last note will have the tails nicely.
Interesting I will check it out tomorrow then. If you happen to find the video please drop the link. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom