JUSTIN DERRICO (P!nk & The Voice) Fractal Axe-Fx III Tone Tour

This guy's quite the player! Never heard of him before this, but seems like someone I should look into. Great tones, and until I saw the video I'd pretty much given up on the Bogner models. Yes, I have the mental, and physical capacity and semi functioning ears to twist knobs and recognize what sounds good, but for the longest time pretty much every Bogner model just sounded like a muffled mess so I didn't use them. But now, armed with the FM9 and inspired by this video I took another crack at the Shiver models and whaddayaknow, there's some incredible tones there.

All that to say, a great video and an inspiring musician!

Fwiw, we dialed these in on some KRK V8s, but what you're hearing is the Axe-Fx direct into ProTools.
Dialed in on the KRKs to monitor live through in ears or house monitors or...? Curious also what you were using for monitors when you did your rig run down at G66 in Florida. Sounded pretty darn good over the camera mic over utoob.

Dialed in on the KRKs to monitor live through in ears or house monitors or...? Curious also what you were using for monitors when you did your rig run down at G66 in Florida. Sounded pretty darn good over the camera mic over utoob.

I want to clear up the confusion/questions about what monitors I use in various videos.

In all my videos, you're hearing the Fractal units direct into a recording device, usually via USB, but sometimes via analog out. In other words, the monitors I'm listening to while filming are all but irrelevant. Or at least, whatever we listen to while dialing tones is likely having far less of an impact on what you're hearing than what monitors you're listening to when you watch the video!

There were KRKs in Justin's studio, so that's what we used initially. But we made all our final decisions on in-ears during production rehearsals. In the Florida video, again, it's not camera audio -- you're hearing USB direct. I was listening to the tones over whatever wedges the venue had; I don't remember what they were or their sounding very good 😅

I use Genelec monitors in my studio to dial in any presets I'm working on, but this is my job. You absolutely do not need something that spendy to dial in great presets that will translate live or on tracks.

Damn, there is a lot of low end (rumble?) on his drive sounds. I know, I would have removed that, but I don't know, if it would be the right thing to do :)

Damn, there is a lot of low end (rumble?) on his drive sounds. I know, I would have removed that, but I don't know, if it would be the right thing to do :)
Yeah I noticed that too and thought it somewhat odd, but I guess that was the room sound…hmm not sure now I can’t remember what Cooper said.

Could be it works in the mix, or so the monitor and FOH tech have more to work with. Also my guess is he’s the only guitarist in the group and can get away with more low end to fill out the sound. As Cooper Carter has stated they are all direct tones for the videos posted

Yeah I noticed that too and thought it somewhat odd, but I guess that was the room sound…hmm not sure now I can’t remember what Cooper said.
Which video and at what timestamp are you are you guys hearing this offensive rumble? Just curious as I guess I missed it.....thanks.

3:26 is an example, where I hear a lot of unnecessary low-end energy. It might be that this is what Justin likes, and the FOH engineer just high passes him :) (or it still just might be that I am wrong :D )

Back
Top Bottom