Just shot a couple ir's and...

edo

Power User
Vendor
... well, I must have screwed something up as they sound terrible!
Here'a the scenario: i mic'd one of my ac30's like I normally would, recorded a clip to make sure it sounded ok - it did. Then I used an attenuator as a line di to capture the ir with the mic + di method, connected everything and hit the or capture tool on cablab. Result? The bass is very weak and treble is very harsh - almost like if cab block was bypassed or the air in the cab block was at 100%.
Clearly something went wrong, but I can't figure out what. I double checked all the connections and they're correct. Thoughts?

I'm using the mic pre from the motu828mk2. like I said, I did record the amp first to test the sound and then just added the attenuator/di into the equation

have you played the axe fx thru that speaker to see if the axe fx sounded the same? maybe try it with out the di and see what happens.

... well, I must have screwed something up as they sound terrible!
Here'a the scenario: i mic'd one of my ac30's like I normally would, recorded a clip to make sure it sounded ok - it did. Then I used an attenuator as a line di to capture the ir with the mic + di method, connected everything and hit the or capture tool on cablab. Result? The bass is very weak and treble is very harsh - almost like if cab block was bypassed or the air in the cab block was at 100%.
Clearly something went wrong, but I can't figure out what. I double checked all the connections and they're correct. Thoughts?

I wonder if you accidentally shot an IR of the line out vs. the mic?

Sounds like you got the connections backwards.

Today I did a few more, the bass is there now, but I still get this awkward distortion on the treble. I've been trying to troubleshoot with Matt, I might either have the levels wrong or maybe it could have to do with the fact that I used a regular instrument cable from the di to the speaker as opposed to a speaker cable??

Are you hearing the distortion if you play the amp and record it through the mic pre at the same level? It might be possible you are sending too much signal either from the mic pre into the Fractal or from the attenuator into the Fractal.

Are you hearing the distortion if you play the amp and record it through the mic pre at the same level? It might be possible you are sending too much signal either from the mic pre into the Fractal or from the attenuator into the Fractal.

No, the recorded amp sounds fine, the bug must be in the IR capture, although the led's are not clipping

No, the recorded amp sounds fine, the bug must be in the IR capture, although the led's are not clipping
the only other 2 possibilities I could think of is, either the mic preamp level is too hot for the Fractal or you have inputs switched between the preamp signal and the load box/di signal. Those are the only other possibilities I have experienced that are similar to what you describe. Sorry I can't of more help.

Back
Top Bottom