Just realized what got me into music

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
So I was playing the Alman brothers on my Apple TV this morning, then I realized I have these 200 TV theme songs, so I just started listening to them, and Bam there it was. There was my inspiration of wanting to play the guitar. The simple melodic themes that were rich in orchestration.

mine.

The bob new heart theme.
melrose place theme.
The dick van dyke theme.
The Taxi theme

I'm 46, so I'm in the generation of having the TV from birth to death.

So my question is, what TV theme songs struck you in a way that motivated you, to play.

Two come to mind
"MASH" (did a acoustic chord melody with this) many, many years ago (I'm 49)
and on bass "Barney Miller" theme which is just cool as all hell

John

Swat, the jetsons.

I would sit in front of a small tv with my guitar and plink and plunk trying to figure out the melodies.

there was a Mountain Dew commercial in the eighties, that I used to love playing as well. Simple tune on acoustic. I just tried to find it on YouTube, but no luck.

Mission Impossible

Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour

For movies: love the dissonant brass in Creature from the Black Lagoon. Without that it would have been only half as scary to a five year old.

Not so much TV themes. At the tender, innocent age of 5 (back in 1971) I was corrupted by Johnny Cash, Elvis, Deep Purple... and then Kiss. Ever since then guitar/music became a passion.

For me it's not a TV theme song.

It's two separate events:
1) Here in France we had musical classes starting at age 12 at school. I eventually discovered I was pretty much "better" than the average (but still having no clue and any particular interests in what I was doing).
2) Discovering one day that my fav songs "Money for Nothing" and "Sultans of Swing" (I did not even know how they were called) were in fact 2 songs from a same band. Amazing :mrgreen

Great thread! To me it was definitely TV that got me into music as well! I saw a guitar based band on TV when I was 5 and ran around with a wooden stick imitating him for months. Took another 8 years before I got my first electric though....
In terms of musical inluences: Age 6: Bohemian Rhapsody / some Beatles Greatest Hits record and some Neill Diamond records. (Kudo's to Radley by the way!)
When Toto IV came into my life at the tender age of 8 or so it was destined that I needed to play guitar...
Favourite TV themes:
Simon & Simon, Hart to Hart, Rockford files, Scrarecrow & Mrs. King, Riptide, Magnum! What a nice, simple and naive world it was back then... haha.

Music: Age 2-13

Bollywood & Hindu worship during 1989 to 2001
Michael Jackson - 1993-4 Wanna be startin' something & History album 1995.
James Horner - 1993 - Apollo 13 - "Docking" cue (progression: A Major 7th - a min)

Metal, Rock, Jazz, Instrumental: Age 11-20. Pro Wrestling, MTV2, Kerrang, Pandora, MSN Messenger...

WCW entrance themes 1997-2000: Sting (Metallica - Seek & Destroy), Hollywood Hogan (Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile), nWo (Jimmy Hart - Rockhouse)
WWF(E) entrance themes 2000-2002: DX, Limp Bizkit - My Way, Kid Rock - Lonely Road of Faith, HHH (My Time).
Steve Vai - 2004 - G3 2003 Triple neck performance

Indie & OSTs: Age 17-18.

The O.C - 2004: Rogue Wave, Pinback, Sun Kil Moon.
Veronica Mars 2005: West Indian Girl.

Orchestral, International & Film Scores: Age x-19.

*James Horner - 1993 - Apollo 13
James Newton Howard - 2002 - Signs
Thomas Newman - 2007 - American Beauty
Chris Tyng - 2004 - The O.C
Hans Zimmer - MI 2
David Holmes - Ocean's Trilogy

Dance, Trance, House: Age 22-23.
(Don't ask, just thank god it's over)

You get the idea, now get out of my head ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom