Just had a preview of Windows 8

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
Is Microsoft serious????

Only had a very quick look so I may be missing the point, but my first impression of the new interface is that it looks awful. Single colour pastel icons with white graphics that don't really differentiate for me. Plain screens with no intuitive exit strategy. You can go to a more traditional "My Computer" screen.

I guess if you're used to a Windows phones you might like it, but judging by market share, most people have already sent a clear message. Looks like MS have built the next OS on soemething the public already says they don't want, but who knows, they usually get their way :D

Not an MS basher btw - Windows user and programmer since version 3!

I've been playing with the Beta for a few months. I agree that the new interface is not intuitive at first. Too much flipping around looking for apps etc.

I always revert back to the old start bar whenever I can. It's probably a good interface for a tablet/mobile device, but on a laptop, which I am running it on, it is really clunky...

Windows programmer here as well (also since v3!). I've using win8 on/off for a few months now. I never use the metro ui unless testing something. It still feels like a toy. :-\

I switched to mac back in 2007 and haven't really looked back although I was running windows through bootcamp (mainly for games). I bought a windows machine last month (again for games) and from what I see of windows 8, I'm not too interested in upgrading. Hopefully you can bypass all the tablet friendly dumbed down features that most users want and still control the system as needed if you're so inclined.

I live in both worlds, Database Analyst by trade (windows Machines) and at Home I have a Mac. I have a MSDN subscription account so I get all Microsoft Software for free, and I have the Windows 8 Preview on My mac using VMware and was going to download the enterprise version of Windows 8 tonight as the release software is already out there. I would agree with everyone here, it's different for sure and I feel that they are kind of just following trends for the sake of still trying to be viable in this space. My concerns for the masses is that there is multiple versions and there is going to be a lot of angry people when they want to install there PC apps on there Tablet because they both say Windows 8. But it is Microsoft, you really don't need to worry about them, as they have a history like Manning said of a good OS then a bad OS, remember Windows ME, VISTA and I know there are way more.

Now, my company is still on Windows XP and they said that we are moving to Windows 7 in the next year, so I have a feeling that Windows 8 will go the way of Vista. Trying to move an Enterprise Company 50,000 or more employees to a different looking, feeling, acting operating system is going to be a tough sell for Microsoft.

On a side note Sql Server 2012 looks good.

My opinion of course.

I have it running in a virtual machine. But the Interface formerly known as Metro, would be better if it could be disabled on a laptop or desktop machine and revert to a Windows 7 type interface.

Metro, or whatever it is I think is probably alright on a tablet device, but I personally don't like it and I don't want my data and programs in anyone's cloud, Microsoft's or Apple's.

Personally I think Apple, have a better idea with iOS for iPads and Phones and OSX for the desktop incorporating features from iOS where it makes sense. Real IOS of course is made by Cisco, but that is another story.

I could stay on Windows 7, but then what happens when it is out of support or I cannot get a new machine with it on. Apple has OSX and for home stuff I could probably use it without issue but for a lot of work type stuff Windows still is something needed in a lot of cases.

I would be happier to run Linux, or some type of Unix if I could get all the programs I need to work or they were developed for these platforms. But I see at the moment a battle occurring between a number of larger companies, to own the phone and or desktop and make Software subscription based, which is consumerization of computing, which is not a future I can say that I relish.

As Scott mentioned a whole company moving to Windows 8 is going to be a challenge. Some companies are not on Windows 7 yet.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the MS Surface......

I was really stoked about the Surface until I saw it is expected to be WiFi only. I will wait for one with a cellular connection, or perhaps pick up a Windows 8 tablet with cellular from Asus, or Samsung etc.

I have not put Win 8 on any computers yet, but I am a Windows Phone guy. I can see that the new UI might seem odd for desktops, however, I think this is a case of Microsoft trying (quite possibly failing) at actually being ahead of the curve for once. Win 8 doesn't make sense for most desktop and laptop setups that have traditional hardware, but could be really awesome if innovative hardware is released to take advantage of it. I have heard rumors about the implementation of the "Xbox Kinect" technology into future desktops. Where you will use gestures to control the screen like you do on a tablet, but instead, it will be a 27" flatscreen on your desk that you don' actually have to reach over and touch- I am picturing something like the computers in "Minority Report" here.

Anyway- it will probably bomb, but we shall see.

-Phil

Apple_logo_Think_Different.png

I've been it IT for many years too. I have a copy of Win 8, but just don't have the desire to load it up. Maybe when the big touch screens come out, like the 27" that Dell is taking orders for, but Win 7 works fine for me. I still have an iPad and iPhone that I use all the time but I don't like the fact that iTunes has to be such an integral part of the equation for apps and their files. Clunkiest idea ever.

I'd rather spend my time with the Axe2 and playing guitar.

Seems to be for geared towards social media, sharing ,bla bla bla. I'll stick to my mac and windows 7

*Insert IT background, blah blah blah* I've been trying it out for a little bit, and honestly, I think it's a completely pointless release. Some of the principals behind it are interesting, but ultimately it feels like a slightly-neutered Windows7 OS with a Windows Phone skin slapped haphazardly over the top. And from the perspective of a Windows DAW user, I could envision it being a nightmare to work with in its current form.

Last edited:
I guess if you're used to a Windows phones you might like it, but judging by market share, most people have already sent a clear message. Looks like MS have built the next OS on soemething the public already says they don't want
That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm about ready to buy a new laptop now, even though I don't really need it yet, while I still have a chance to get it w/ Win 7.

I don't like the metro interface at all. I think it kind of makes sense on a tablet- a quick touch-friendly interface for consuming/ipad type stuff but a real computer on the other side.

On a laptop, makes less sense, and on a desktop, none at all.

With that said, I've had it on my laptops for a couple of months and once I install "Classic Shell", I've grown to like it OK otherwise. It seems pretty stable.

I won't be recommending that anyone bother to upgrade from Windows 7 on existing hardware because there is simply no reason to do so.

I don't understand the logic behind this one-size-fits-all OS. I can see it happening with all the web apps now too. Everything is trying to work for both tablet and PC and it just makes the PC experience worse.

Windows 8 actually isn't that bad. Once you understand how to go to the desktop and launch apps like you used to, it's not that big of a deal. In fact it might be an improvement b/c the launcher/searcher thing is a huge improvement. I think the OS will be great on TVs and tablets. I tried it on a TV and for that type of "entertainment" system, it works well with the BIG icons, BIG clock, and multimedia focus. But man, they probably should put a "business" mode button on it that simply makes it look just like Windows 7 from the getgo for erm.... business users.

I've been running it on my office PC and main home PC for a couple of months and I've really got on with it! Didn't expect to but I found myself actually using metro and it being quite productive. The biggest improvement for me has been whilst using it as a DAW, I've had no dropouts at all and it's been absolutely faultless.

Spence

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom