JP2C, SM57, and 2I2

Hyperion88

First of all, I would like to state that I am in fact a "newb" in matters of recording. Right now I have an SM57 mic in front of my JP2C speakers, xlr cable going from the mic to the 2i2 (input 1), and the two outs of the 2i2 into 2 Yamaha HS50M. I already set the input and output of my computer with the 2i2. I can definitely record with this set up, and everything seems to be working fine, but is there a way that I can monitor the sound of my amplifier coming from the Mesa speakers and the yamahas at the same time?

Thank you,

Is there a 'direct monitor' switch on the front of your 2i2? Try turning that to on.
Start with your monitor volume low, or you may get feedback.

When you mic an amp, are you able to hear the sound coming from the amplifier's speakers and your monitors at the same time?
The answer to your question is "yes." But this didn't answer my question. Is this not happening for you? Have you turned on the Direct Monitor switch on your 2i2? Perhaps read its instruction manual.

Yes, I already turned the direct monitor of my 2i2 on, and nothing changes. I will play with it more on the weekend, and if it's the case, contact Focusrite's costume support.

can you clearly hear your monitors compared to a loud amp? is the mic volume turned up enough to give enough signal? i'd guess it's really difficult to hear the monitors and the amp at the same time.

can you try speaking into the microphone to see if your monitors are working?
Yes, I already turned the direct monitor of my 2i2 on, and nothing changes. I will play with it more on the weekend, and if it's the case, contact Focusrite's costume support.

can you clearly hear your monitors compared to a loud amp? is the mic volume turned up enough to give enough signal? i'd guess it's really difficult to hear the monitors and the amp at the same time.

can you try speaking into the microphone to see if your monitors are working?

Yes,I already tried putting my ears against the monitors, and there is no sound at all coming from them. I hear everything I play from my computer on the monitors, and I can definitely record the sound of the mic'd amp, but for some reason no monitoring.

I wonder if they can help with my Superman outfit.
heheh sorry couldn't resist. :D

Anyway, I don't know how the direct monitor switch affects the settings within the mixer control. I.e., if the switch automatically sets the routing within the mixer control. I have a Saffire, not a Scarlett, so I can't test it, but I'm pretty sure the mixer controls are pretty much the same. So, see if you can verify these settings (going off dying brain cell memory here):

In your DAW, mute/disable the "monitor during playback" option for your guitar track(s).
Then, in the 2i2 mixer control, verify that it says this:
Mix 1 (L) > Monitor Output 1
Mix 1 (R) > Monitor Output 2
This will let you monitor the incoming signal directly, while the DAW plays back the rest of the tracks. BTW, Output 1 is Left Yamaha, Output 2 is Right Yamaha.

And not to be Captain Obvious, but make sure that in the Mix 1 tab, the faders for Analog 1 IN, DAW 1/2, and "Copy Mix To" are all in an audible range. And also that the Yamahas are hooked up correctly.

Yes,I already tried putting my ears against the monitors, and there is no sound at all coming from them. I hear everything I play from my computer on the monitors, and I can definitely record the sound of the mic'd amp, but for some reason no monitoring.
This symptom sounds like your Monitor Output 1 and 2 are set to DAW. See my above post. Outputs should be set to Mix 1 L/R.

I wonder if they can help with my Superman outfit.
heheh sorry couldn't resist. :D

Anyway, I don't know how the direct monitor switch affects the settings within the mixer control. I.e., if the switch automatically sets the routing within the mixer control. I have a Saffire, not a Scarlett, so I can't test it, but I'm pretty sure the mixer controls are pretty much the same. So, see if you can verify these settings (going off dying brain cell memory here):

In your DAW, mute/disable the "monitor during playback" option for your guitar track(s).
Then, in the 2i2 mixer control, verify that it says this:
Mix 1 (L) > Monitor Output 1
Mix 1 (R) > Monitor Output 2
This will let you monitor the incoming signal directly, while the DAW plays back the rest of the tracks. BTW, Output 1 is Left Yamaha, Output 2 is Right Yamaha.

And not to be Captain Obvious, but make sure that in the Mix 1 tab, the faders for Analog 1 IN, DAW 1/2, and "Copy Mix To" are all in an audible range. And also that the Yamahas are hooked up correctly.

Sorry I didn't have time to respond earlier, but i just found some time today to play with this issue. I am currently using GarageBand as my DAW, and I could not find the mixer control for my 2I2 ( I'm still fairly new at this). the only options that I have in the I/O section is to set an input or output device.

By the way, shouldn't I be able to hear myself through the monitors even without using the DAW?

Thanks,

Yes, you should be able to hear yourself without the DAW.

The mix control is this little thing here, which runs in the background (first row of results):
https://www.google.com/search?q=sca...r8_TAhVfHGMKHWePAYoQ_AUICCgD&biw=1229&bih=747

I was under the impression that the mix control was needed in order for the interface to function with the computer, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it's a useful tool to control all your routing.
If you don't have it, you can download it at Focusrite. The 2i2 had a 1st and 2nd generation, make sure you choose the right one:
https://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2+first+gen

If you're using Apple, I don't know if the above software applies. I'm using PC. But I'm thinking there must be some sort of utility that addresses the 2i2's routing for Apple. Your symptom sounds like a very simple routing issue.

Yes, you should be able to hear yourself without the DAW.

The mix control is this little thing here, which runs in the background (first row of results):
https://www.google.com/search?q=sca...r8_TAhVfHGMKHWePAYoQ_AUICCgD&biw=1229&bih=747

I was under the impression that the mix control was needed in order for the interface to function with the computer, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it's a useful tool to control all your routing.
If you don't have it, you can download it at Focusrite. The 2i2 had a 1st and 2nd generation, make sure you choose the right one:
https://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2+first+gen

If you're using Apple, I don't know if the above software applies. I'm using PC. But I'm thinking there must be some sort of utility that addresses the 2i2's routing for Apple. Your symptom sounds like a very simple routing issue.

Per Focusrite, I actually should not need any additional software or driver to run the 2i2 with my MAC. I tried rolling the volume all the way up on the monitors and on the 2i2, and I did start hearing my voice through the monitors( I was testing the set up without the amp). However, it would be incredibly inconvenient if I had to blast the volume on the monitors and the 2i2 every time I wanted to direct monitor my sound. I will try downloading the mix control program and run it with my set up this weekend.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Back
Top Bottom