Wish Jose Arredondo Additional Preamp Tube Mod

Joker

Inspired
I already love the Jose saturation circuit that we can use inside the amp block. It would be nice if we could switch between the Jose diode clipping (saturation circuit) and a Jose additonal preamp tube modification.

Here's a schematic of one of his additional preamp tube mods:

lIXJ5ls.jpg

Last edited:
I already love the Jose saturation circuit that we can use inside the amp block. It would be nice if we could switch between the Jose diode clipping (saturation circuit) and a Jose additonal preamp tube modification.
+1

I believe this is already possible to model by adding a drive block with the tape emulation model, and setting the clip type to either HV or LV tube, I don't recall which.

Though it would be nice to have it in one place without using a drive block, +1

That's literally just a Super Lead with a boosting 200k, 2.7k, 0.68u, 0.022u preamp stage, everything else can be modded-in by the user.
Want.

Edit:
The pre-tonestack 10k+0.22u+MV is also interesting, I don't think we can move the MV pre-tonestack?
In Pete Thorns video it does make a difference in tone.
The pre-ts MV loads down the tonestack at lower MV levels, it's effectively a small resistor in parallel with the tonestack at lower MV levels and a 1Meg in parallel at full volume.

Last edited:
How close BRIT BROWN is to the original Jose mod?
How hard is it for Fractal to add a 12ax7 gain stage to their 1959 Super Lead model?

From the wiki:
"Brit Brown is my personal take on what the ultimate "Brown" plexi should sound like. It's based on a 100W SLP with Arredondo mods and a few little voicing tweaks."

Here's Jason's (Headfirst Amplification) take on the Jose mod.
He moves the 2.2n to the first stage and 22n to the second, everything else is the "stock" Jose mod.
No zener diodes, MV post tonestack, probably the most common Jose mod according to Friedman.

Jose Headfirst.png

Source (a must watch):

I think a 12ax7 triode model in the Drive section with user adjustable cutoffs, headroom, grid, etc. parameters should suffice to recreate this mod and a fun way to experiment with other amps not just Marshalls.
This would be very nice!

I'm thinking the FET Boost drive block could come close to this when changing the clipping type to high voltage tube or maybe the 3 knob butler tube driver which already uses the hv tube clipping type?

There's still something about internal gain stages, i.e. the extra 12AX7 preamp tube, versus external gain stages, like the drive pedals. The former always reacts more naturally, at least to my ears.

I think it would be worthwhile to implement either a 12AX7/Jose boost type in the amp block or a separate 12AX7 drive block that covers the specs you listed above.

Last edited:
I think it would be worthwhile to implement either a 12AX7/Jose boost type in the amp block or a separate 12AX7 drive block that covers the specs you listed above.

In the amp block would be great, it has to be versatile though, the B+ node and the biasing RC components around the tube are very important for shaping the tone.
I'm sure Fractal will come up with a genius solution that will satisfy everyone.

Back
Top Bottom