• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

John Petrucci's JP2-C Settings

ThomasK

New here
Best answers
I am struggling to get the sound (growl, very rich harmonics) which can be heard in this clip at 3:45

John Petr Guitar Lesson — 5 Guitar Tips

Tried a lot of different settings and ir.

Pwrmac7600

Forum Addict
Best answers
Does anyone know, in order to accurately recreate the pull gain on each channel what you would need to raise the input drive to? I thought I saw it mention by @FractalAudio in another thread but I cannot locate it. I know I can use my ears, but I am curious what would accurately recreate what the actual amp does.

deadringer6565

New here
Best answers
NOTE: To emulate the “Shred” mode turn the High Treble control to approximately 3-4 dB (or adjust to taste, you are not limited by a single switch).

ak49climber

Inspired
Best answers
Does anyone know, in order to accurately recreate the pull gain on each channel what you would need to raise the input drive to? I thought I saw it mention by @FractalAudio in another thread but I cannot locate it. I know I can use my ears, but I am curious what would accurately recreate what the actual amp does.
NOTE: To emulate the “Shred” mode turn the High Treble control to approximately 3-4 dB (or adjust to taste, you are not limited by a single switch).
I think for pull gain you go to the ideal page and increase the Input Drive by 1 or 1.5, Shred Mode is different.

Eliju

Veteran
Best answers
What’s the difference between the real amp pot tapers and the axe? Has anyone found equivalent settings.

200man

Veteran
Best answers
Thanks all..great insight into JP. How expensive and difficult it used to be to tone chase but now the Axe gets us closer to analyzing the sound of great guitar players so easily.

Milchek

New here
Best answers
So the JP2-C has two seperate EQ's so you can have different EQ profiles for different channels, but looking at those instagram posts he sets them pretty much identically anyway?

phil92

Inspired
Best answers
So the JP2-C has two seperate EQ's so you can have different EQ profiles for different channels, but looking at those instagram posts he sets them pretty much identically anyway?
look closer: the second one usually doesn't cut the mids as much and boosting the 240 a tad more to thicken up the tone. One mm can be a lot on those faders...

Dimitri Carrer

New here
Best answers
I am struggling to get the sound (growl, very rich harmonics) which can be heard in this clip at 3:45

John Petr Guitar Lesson — 5 Guitar Tips

Tried a lot of different settings and ir.
That's it, I feel it's way far from there...
I don't think I'm going to buy a Majesty, I just don't like John's latest incarnation of his sound, even live it goes, as far as my tastes, way better with a less wet sound for rhythm.
I guess I have to spend more time on EQ and getting to understand better how the amps behave...
I was able to get way closer on firmware 18.00 or so in Axe FX 2, then it changed and it wasn't nice/usable to me anymore... but I'm always trying to keep in mind that Mesas amps are to be learned and micro variatios in touching the pots usually mean a big change in sound.

I feel way more consistency with Peavey 5150, EVH III and now the new Skull Crusher (which with a TS09 in front leads me to very fluid leads, nicier than my attempt to set up a Petrucci sound without overdrive)

Last edited:
Top Bottom