John Petrucci's JP2-C Settings

unscarred

Experienced
Since we have JP's amp on the Axe Fx III, i thought why not dedicate a thread on how to achieve his sound. I know there's a lot of other variables that contribute to his polished tone like his guitars, pickups, beard(lol), and of course his fingers that play a big role to his sound. But i know there's a lot of JP fanboys in here like myself that might appreciate some tips or tricks on how to dial in his sound from the Axe Fx. :)

I'll start by sharing his settings he posted on instagram a while back.

Clean Channel

Clean.png

Ch 2

Ch 2.png

Ch 3

Ch 3.png

EQ 1

EQ 1.png

EQ 2

EQ2.png

As per usual, I thought I'd mention that the tapers of the master volume, graphic EQ sliders and possibly the presence control don't match with the actual amp. So nobody gets disappointed that the settings don't "work" ;)
Well even more so than that the IR is going to be very hard to duplicate exactly, so you’re gunna have to use your ears a bit more than just your eyes here. Although this is a good starting point to get you very close in the general direction.
A few Cabs I’ve found to be pretty good for this are: Factory 2 - 800
Factory 2 - 881
Factory 2 - 889
Factory 2 - 842

Well even more so than that the IR is going to be very hard to duplicate exactly, so you’re gunna have to use your ears a bit more than just your eyes here. Although this is a good starting point to get you very close in the general direction.
A few Cabs I’ve found to be pretty good for this are: Factory 2 - 800
Factory 2 - 881
Factory 2 - 889
Factory 2 - 842

Will try those cabs...thanks!

I’ll admit to not being a huge fan of his music, but, he does seem quite accessible, which is pretty cool, especially as he surely knows how much his fans love his tone and playing, so it’s cool he shares settings etc with his fan base.
Yeah, I like DT alright.. ya gotta admit they are phenomenal musicians.. and JP is pretty sick.

Ok guys: time to come out clean.
I can't make it sound like I hear in every MK2 C+ or JP video.
I don't have the same guitar nor pickups nor woods.

I have the Axe FX 3 into a matrix power amp GT1000FX and a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto (the vertical one).

The thing is I can't find enough gain even if pushed to the limit. I feel the need to put an overdrive in front of it... That's based on the preset pictures here in this post. Are there any tricks to get that little more gain to go on full LIQUID Petrucci lead mode and tight rhytm aggression?

Best regards

I have the Axe FX 3 into a matrix power amp GT1000FX and a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto (the vertical one).

The thing is I can't find enough gain even if pushed to the limit. I feel the need to put an overdrive in front of it... That's based on the preset pictures here in this post. Are there any tricks to get that little more gain to go on full LIQUID Petrucci lead mode and tight rhytm aggression?

Best regards
OK, so you've just stated you don't have the same guitar, nor pickups, nor tone wood, then your only option would be to add a drive block in front of it. I don't have a "Majesty", I have a PRS custom 24 with BK Ragnarok's in it and it absolutely sounds pretty damn close (for me anyway). I also tried it through my self-made Lynch style strat (and my LP) with Dimarzio Tone Zones - again, sounds damn close with those settings.

My advice is to try a drive block or get hotter pups, or, if money were no object, get a Majesty.

Best regards

There are JP2C presets on AxeChange. Leon Todd (user 2112) has a great one he demonstrated on his YouTube channel. My III won’t be here until Monday but it will be the first preset I try.

His preset should be close and will reveal what settings work well before buying another guitar...

Back
Top Bottom