Jay Mitchell and the power of flat response

(zslane) I'm trying to grasp why we would want to endorse a virtual practice that has no real-world equivalent other than "because we can".
Thought #1: Why would you view this as an issue that warrants a discussion of whether or not to endorse someones creative choices. Sometimes doing something simply "because we can" opens up all sorts of new ideas and possibilities.

Thought #2: Les Paul invented all sorts of effects simply "because he could". Imagine if Les Paul was consumed by thoughts like your statement.

Thought #3: Only a relative handful of guitar players ever manage to break new ground and cause major paradigm shifts. Most of us are varying degrees of copies of one or more "because we can" type of player.

Thought #4: Post effects, parallel effects, wet/dry, etc. have been in live (and studio) use for decades. Many things that you are apparently not up on have what you call "real world" equivalents. Once again, why that should matter as to anyones creative experiments escapes me.

Thought #5: If we are truly some sort of spirit/soul/creature of God/whatever, that is temporarily inhabiting a meat-sack then all of this (as in everything) is virtual. This sort of thinking makes the Axe as real (or not) as anything else. One man's meat is another man's pudding. (I'm not sure if that last sentence is relevant. I've just always wanted to type it).

Thought #6: The Axe is my real world (dream world?) standard. It is my tonal and effects reference point unto itself. I no longer care what the amps that gave birth to the simulations sound like or whether I can exactly mimic them. That has ceased to interest me. I would be just as content if the amp simulations were labeled #1, #2, #3, etc.

Thought #7: Why wouldn't/shouldn't we exploit virtual practices in the Axe even if they couldn't be done (or would be terribly complicated and/or expensive) to do with component gear? Will the high priests of the Analog Church frown upon us for stretching what a guitar rig can be? Your statement leads me to believe you are somewhat beholden to some perceived "right" way to do things with regard to your understanding of any given guitar rig.

(zslane) This seems like... ...an indication that we are having to resort to funky practices in our Axe-FX layouts to compensate for weaknesses in the simulations...
I like funk.

I like funky practices.

One mans funky practices is another mans path to great tone.
(almost brings home the meat and pudding thing, doesn't it?)

(zslane) ...or that we are taking creative advantage of the "its all just a signal" nature of the Axe-FX's digital data pipeline.
I believe a large part of the point is to be taking creative advantage of the "it's all just a signal" nature of the Axe-FX's digital data pipeline. It's a good thing.

(zslane) Could someone explain this to me in a somewhat technical manner?
Understanding how the Axe is designed and built can be explained in a technical manner that can be completely grasped by your thinking mind.

To me your questions and speculations are all in the realm of human creativity and intuition.

Last edited:
In following some of the links provided, I've noticed that several high end companies like Coda(AP12), L-Acoustics(12XT) and RCF(NX-12) offer the FRFR with one coaxial speaker vs separate horn woofer combo. Is this a better way to go?
All else being equal, a coaxial tweeter and woofer is better than a discreet tweeter and woofer. I'm not claiming that any specific speaker is better than another, but a coaxial design has a leg up from the beginning. Even when I was giving my views on those two wedges a few posts back, I was comparing amp A & speaker A as a whole to amp B & speaker B as a whole, not speakers A and B in isolation.

Scotts , Im also using the turbosound TSC 59 . I skipped to the end of this long thread so forgive me if you already answered this but did you try to eq the TSC to get it close to Jays setup .
I'm not Scott, but I was there, too. The differences are not equalizable. They do not result from simple discrepancies in amplitude response. This is one piece of loudspeaker behavior that is difficult to explain but easily heard.

If I understand correctly, a DSP-based EQ solution tweaked to correct the amplitude response of a speaker will also correct its phase response, to the extent that the amplitude response is the result of minimum-phase phenomena.
Sometimes. The same may be said with equal validity of an "analog-based EQ solution."

Can you give an example of a non-minimum-phase phenomenon in a properly-functioning speaker system?
The lowpass rolloff characteristics of cone transducers are almost never minimum-phase. Ditto the peaks and valleys in the passband response of direct-radiating cabs and most horns. The physical causes of these non-minimum-phase attributes vary, but the result is the same: many characteristics of speaker response are not minimum-phase phenomena.

Last edited:
I'm not Scott, but I was there, too. The differences are not equalizable. They do not result from simple discrepancies in amplitude response. This is one piece of loudspeaker behavior that is difficult to explain but easily heard.

Thanks for the reply Jay .I understand why you cant sell your design to us but I would sure love to know
1 Is it the amp or the speaker you use that contributes the most to your excellent results
2 Which Frazier speaker you used and
3 was you amp a mosfete design

1 Is it the amp or the speaker you use that contributes the most to your excellent results
Yes.

Seriously, I could get just as good a result with any of a number of different amplifiers and/or transducers. Just as with guitar sound, there is no magic bullet in loudspeaker design. You must get a number of details right in order to produce a good result. "Discovering" one of them and simply duplicating that feature will accomplish nothing.

2 Which Frazier speaker you used
PM499.

3 was you amp a mosfete design
That is completely irrelevant, but the answer is "yes."

Last edited:
Yes.

Seriously, I could get just as good a result with any of a number of different amplifiers and/or transducers. Just as with guitar sound, there is no magic bullet in loudspeaker design. You must get a number of details right in order to produce a good result. "Discovering" one of them and simply duplicating that feature will accomplish nothing.

PM499.

That is completely irrelevant, but the answer is "yes."

Awesome Jay thanks . So lets say I have the speaker in question and a quality amp . Whats the are the missing pieces ? How do I learn what I need to know to get good results? Im using the same speaker as Scotts, the Turbosound TCS 59 ,any suggestions on how to improve it ?

Last edited:
Awesome Jay thanks . So lets say I have the speaker in question and a quality amp . Whats the are the missing pieces ? How do I learn what I need to know to get good results?
I think you're missing the point here. As a loudspeaker designer, I could get equally good results in a loudspeaker I designed with various combinations of transducers and amplification. I was not referring to what a guitar player could do in piecing together a rig. The "missing pieces" in this case would require perhaps 35-40 years of academic study and professional experience to acquire.

~Part of my point is that even to provide mid level sound reinforcement we are talking about a reasonable sum of money. If we use $3,000 as a reference we are not discussing the difference between $0 and $3,000. The Axe has to be supported by sound gear. I couldn't find anything I considered reasonably flat response in the under $1,000 stuff. So if we compare rigs featuring one cabinet the difference for me will likely be from a $1,500 FRFR system to about a $3,000 system.

(snip)

For most of us everything is a trade off.

OK, this thread is 21 pages long and I'm only a few in so its entirely possible that I am beating a dead horse here. If so, let me apologize ahead of time.

Furthermore, don't take my comments below as antagonistic or "challenging" anyone's expertise or opinions. I'm stating these things so I can learn from responses - where are my assumptions incorrect, where are they correct, etc. OK, that being said...

Like you said in reference to selling your house and cars, etc., everything is a trade off. I think the same thing should apply to gear. For me, because I'm not willing to sell my house or my G35 coupe (yup, I have one too) just yet I have to make other compromises in other areas. For myself, and I would suspect a good number of people on the forum (certainly not everyone!) we have to make a tradeoff in the gear area. For me the difference between something like a $600 EV or QSC, or even a $1000 FBT versus a $3000 Frazier (equivalent since we can't even buy a Frazier anyway!) is where I have to make the trade off. Just like buying gently used gear vs new too. Is the Frazier (or equivalent, lets just say Frazier here for argument's sake) worth 3 times the price? Maybe. But I can't buy what I can't buy. A Porsche 911 is 3 times the price of of G35 (new) and by many arguments a MUCH better car for an enthusiast. But I have other priorities, so I don't (read can't :D ) buy the 911. For you, you have the $$$ saved and your priorities are different from many of us. Hell, since you are a professional you could get a tax write off on that too! So, for me, the trade off is price vs superior sound, just like the car (price vs superior performance). I will suffer the lesser sound because of the money. It is perfectly valid, and a fact of life for most of us I would imagine. Even if I could currently afford it, I might still make that compromise because... well it brings me to my next point/question.

The difference can be heard in all its glory, as you described, in a studio/controlled environment. Now, take the same speakers, put them on a crap wood stage in a room/bar with awful acoustics, 300 people talking and yelling, LOUD drums to my left, monitor mix with singer, bass, etc. to my right, and the stage sound all around me in addition to the monitors - IOW an environment where it can be difficult just to hear ANYTHING above everything else, and NOW how much of a difference can be heard? I mean I'm sure a difference can be heard, but with the room and noise as the great equalizer (as in equal footing, not a graphic or para EQ!) I would be willing to be the difference diminishes. How much? I don't know. You tell me when its been tested in a club side by side :) But I can't help but wonder in that awful sonic environment if the difference equals 3 to 5 times the cost. At least for me and my ears. Does the club environment drastically change where the margin of diminishing returns lies. Well, yes, but how much is really the question.

And thats just for MY benefit. You could have a million dollar monitor on stage that is the best thing ever, and your sound w/ the AxeFx is STILL going to go out through the club's crappy board and out to the audience through the cheapo PA, all manipulated by a crappy sound guy (remember, this is local clubs, etc. where a good many of us play) and to the audience it doesn't make a single bit of difference. Does it make a difference to you onstage? Sure. Can a better sound make you play better? Absolutely. But that leads us back to the previous paragraph doesn't it?

And still, the doublethink remains. I know all this (or assume it, whatever) about the venue PA, etc. and YET I still seek out the best possible stage amplification (to my ears) to try to reach the best potential. :) Within my budget trade-off, that is.

This is also why when I do drag my "pretend FRFR" acoustic amp to the store to compare it to the 12 options, I plan to try the 15 options as well. I understand the theory of getting the most neutral sound and the advantage of a 12 over a 15 as Jay discussed in another thread, but it makes me wonder how much it matters in a live club situation. Part of the reason for a 12 inch is if you create a patch for a 15 inch with its added bass, when the sound is run through the PA it could actually be lacking in bass. But even if I use a 12 inch, I am still at the mercy of the club's PA system and the club's sound guy. So I could have a 12 inch and have the "right amount of bass frequencies" in there, and the sound guy could still screw it all up! And what if the club's PA system is all 15" 2-way PA cabs? THen I might have TOO MUCH bass in there! It goes both ways. Most of the clubs (again, not all) around here that have PAs tend towards the 15" and 2x15" cabs. I see many more 15" cabs than I do 12" ones. A few of the clubs with the 12" ones also have big subs too. So the advantage of the 12" as the more "correct" sound can work to your disadvantage as much as it can to your advantage, so I might as well control what I can control and get my stage sound as good as I can (with trade-offs!). If that means a 15" over a 12, or even a 10" over a 12, then so be it. I'll get whatever sounds best to me and inspired me to play my best (etc., trade-offs, blah blah).

Now, if I had the budget and I were designing the HOUSE PA system, THAT seems to me to be the best place to take advantage of the Fraziers.

Am I completely off-base here??

Last edited:
For me the difference between something like a $600 EV or QSC, or even a $1000 FBT versus a $3000 Frazier (equivalent since we can't even buy a Frazier anyway!) is where I have to make the trade off.
It's where you choose to make the tradeoff. And it's your choice to make.

Is the Frazier (or equivalent, lets just say Frazier here for argument's sake) worth 3 times the price?
Is an Axe-Fx Ultra worth four times the price of a PodHD500?

So, for me, the trade off is price vs superior sound, just like the car (price vs superior performance).
It's your money and your choice. I'd point out that you made a somewhat different set of tradeoffs in choosing to purchase an Axe-Fx over an Eleven Rack or a Pod.

The difference can be heard in all its glory, as you described, in a studio/controlled environment.
It can easily be heard in a live performance environment.

Now, take the same speakers, put them on a crap wood stage in a room/bar with awful acoustics, 300 people talking and yelling, LOUD drums to my left, monitor mix with singer, bass, etc. to my right, and the stage sound all around me in addition to the monitors - IOW an environment where it can be difficult just to hear ANYTHING above everything else, and NOW how much of a difference can be heard?
Here's what you're conveniently leaving out: the difference is at least as audible as - perhaps even more than - the difference between an Axe-Fx and a sub-$1k modeler. Your argument can just as easily be used to justify using one of them instead of an Axe-Fx. Most of us here have chosen to spend more in order to get the better sound quality offered by the Axe-Fx, in spite of the arguments being made everywhere that the Axe-Fx isn't enough better to justify the difference in cost.

You made one choice, although you haven't told us if you tried more expensive monitors before making it. Scott made a different choice before he ever heard my speaker.

What exactly is it you're trying to argue?

What exactly is it you're trying to argue?

With all due respect, did you read my whole post? Specifically the part where I stated (at the very beginning):

"I'm stating these things so I can learn from responses - where are my assumptions incorrect, where are they correct, etc. "

I'm not trying to "argue" anything. I am asking questions. I didn't "conveniently" leave it out. I was asking to be educated. I KNOW that you know what you are talking about. I didn't expect such an answer with such tone, however (and sorry if I misinterpreted it). I feel that my questions are 100% legitimate. For example, I wanted to know in such a harsh environment does the margin of diminishing returns change (vs a more controlled environment)? You basically said no. I believe you.

As far as why did I get the AxeFx over an 11R or a POD - 1) The 11R wasn't even around when I got my AxeFx. I got mine back when there was still a waiting list. Besides, no FX spillover would have been a deal killer for me 2) I previously tried plenty of Line6 gear (and still have a bunch of it) and I sold my POD and a bunch of the other stuff for a reason. I was not happy with it. PODHD did not exist. I was not happy with my Vox Valvetronix or my Roland VG stuff either. Software wasn't cutting it either. Most people with their FBTs , etc. ARE pretty happy with what they currently have. This is not an apples to apples comparison here.

In the end, my choice was between the AxeFx and a Ceriatone Trainwreck clone. Both the AxeFx and Ceriatone+Cab ran around the same price, and were within my budget at the time. SO for me the decision was NOT a disparity in cost. I finally chose the AxeFx after participating on the early forums and the first "this thing is a monster" TGP thread, and after a good long discussion with Scott Peterson over the phone (I was very much a jaded AxeFx doubter at the beginning because I had heard all of the same revolutionary statements in the past about other gear and was constantly let down). The versatility of the AxeFx over the Wreck clone, and the fact that the Axe HAS a Wreck model in it, were the determining factors. I had a specific budget in mind. I had a "sonic goal" in mind.

And as far as the choice I made that you are referring to at the end of your post, I have NOT made my monitor choice yet. THAT is why I am asking. I thought it was pretty clear when I said I would drag my current ampt to the store to test out monitors at some point. If cost were NOT an issue and you sold your solution at all, I would ask the SAME questions. And since you say that the difference is indeed just as noticable live, I would DEFINITELY be considering it. But the argument is completely moot and fantasy, because even if I had unlimited budget, your solution is simply not even available to me. :(

...the difference is at least as audible as - perhaps even more than - the difference between an Axe-Fx and a sub-$1k modeler. Your argument can just as easily be used to justify using one of them instead of an Axe-Fx.

I, for one, certainly agree with you overall, Jay. Sort of a What's Good for the Goose situation.

That said, if these $3k+ monitors are being used strictly for stage foldback, then ostensibly one big difference in analogies there is that an Axe-FX will still sound great to the audience (via decent PA system) even if the on-stage environment makes the differences between a JBL and a Frazier next-to-impossible to discern. One could rationalize spending more on the Axe-FX for the audience's benefit even if one would not hear its superiority (over, say, a POD) oneself on stage all the time. If the difference between house sound and on-stage sound is substantial (I have no idea how common that might be, btw, so I'm speaking purely hypothetically), then any high-end piece of stage-only gear is of somewhat minimal added value.

Personally, I would want the best gear I could afford with me at all times (subject to whatever security fears I might have given the chaotic and nasty nature of some venues). I figure it's always better to start with the best sound you can produce, and then let the chips fall where they may. :D

With all due respect, did you read my whole post?
Yep.

For example, I wanted to know in such a harsh environment does the margin of diminishing returns change (vs a more controlled environment)?
Of course it does. You can still hear the difference, however, and untrained listeners in the audience could as well, if you could do an A/B demo for them in that environment.

Most people with their FBTs , etc. ARE pretty happy with what they currently have.
That is speculation, and it can neither be proven nor disproven. There is a vocal, if not sizeable, contingent who insist that no FRFR system can possibly be satisfactory and who choose to use guitar cabs instead. What percentage of Ax-Fx users subscribe to that school of thought? We'll never know, and it's really not productive to guess.

Scott began this thread to share an experience he had and to pass along some advice that is relevant even though you can't buy my products. It is good advice, and I've given very similar advice on this and the original forum over the past 4 years.

Only you can decide the place on the price/performance curve that defines your comfort zone. It does not mean that others will make the same decisions as you. Some of them may even claim you have wasted your money, because you either spent too much or too little. I recommend that you take care to define your own goals and make your own decisions.

So Jay, setting aside your cabinet since it is basically unobtainable, with all your experience I'd like to know if Scott's rig sounded good to you with his cabs? I've been happy with my FBT rig but I'm certainly willing to give a Turbosound a shot.

Guitar-brained people start fiddling around with low and mid level sound reinforcement cabinets and then start discussing how the various cabinets color the sound, add warmth, add punch, etc. as if they were still in guitar amp/speaker land. Thinking of sound reinforcement cabinets this way is to me fundamentally wrongheaded. To me it is essential to keep these two schools of amp/speaker application separate.

In my opinion, if the Axe is to be used FRFR, then the optimal sound reinforcement speaker for the job will be the one that best approximates the standard of flat response. This would mean the system that colors what is coming out of the Axe the least. Then we get to hear, to the extent possible in modern sound reinforcement design, the level to which the Axe is able to create its simulations.

Ok, wait a minute. You say that many guitarists don't understand the difference between the 2 schools of thought. I think that that is very fair. But then you say that guitarist start talking about how a specific (FRFR speaker) adds warmth or punch. The basic premise here is that we do NOT want a truly neutral cab to add warmth or punch. We want it to remain neutral.

HOWEVER, if the guitarist can't distinguish between the 2 schools of thought, then when the guitarist is talking about warmth, who is to say that he is hearing something that the speaker cab imparts, as opposed to hearing a more neutral speaker bringing out the warmth of the AxeFx??? IOW, if I am a guitarist who can't separate the 2 schools of thought, and I hear a cab and say "Wow. This cab sounds so much warmer" you are suddenly assuming that I AM not only capable, but making an accurate assumption. Thats a contradiction. If we are to believe your (I feel, valid) argument that I can't separate te 2 schools of thought, it could very well be possible that when I think the cab is adding warmth, what I am REALLY hearing is a cab that is MORE neutral, and bringing OUT the warmth of the AxeFx!

I'm not arguing or saying you are wrong or whatever. It was just that the contradiction in those assumptions happened to catch my eye, and I thought I'd mention another side of it. I mean I agree with you, and probably 90% of the time the added warmth IS from the cab (I just pulled that 90% number out of my ass, BTW :D ), which is NOT preferred. However there could also be times (even if its rare) when my uneducated assumption that the warmth is coming from the cabs is incorrect, and its coming from the AxeFx and being revealed through better cabs. I mean that basically matches your experience in the first post. :)

Last edited:
Props to everybody for staying basically on topic through a long and interesting thread.

I guess I had not previously internalized just how good the AxeFx is, but reading about how a really good cab just reveals more AxeFx goodness really made it sink in. While I understand frustration at what seems to be a benchmark product not being available, I don't think the implication is that there is nothing else out there worth having. The message I heard is that you have to move a ways up the cost scale to get that kind of quality.

My first reaction upon hearing about the AxeFx several years ago was: damn, that thing sounds good... but it's too expensive. Later on of course I realized that it was worth the money. I'm now starting to recalibrate my thinking about speaker cabs as well.

Of course it does. You can still hear the difference, however, and untrained listeners in the audience could as well, if you could do an A/B demo for them in that environment.

Oh come ON Jay! You say that like I should just KNOW that! :) As someone who:
- has NOT tried those ultra high-end cabs out
- Knows fully that the sound (what *I* hear) of my amps on stage changes when a room is packed full of people talking loudly

The logical conclusion that perhaps this same phenomena would also apply to those speakers with which I have no experience is to be expected. The question (that I had) was HOW MUCH? Does it reach a margin of diminishing returns, or is the difference SO profound that even in a room with hundreds of people talking and yelling and drums to my side, etc. everyone can still CLEARLY hear the difference.

Apparently the answer is a resounding YES! I do thank you for educating me in this area. That is what I was looking for...

And BTW, if you did read my whole post as you said, then why did you think I was arguing something when I was asking, and explicitly stated so ahead of time? (confused)

Anyway, this thread is interesting and educational even though none of us is apparently capable of understanding it (thats a joke, btw)

The lowpass rolloff characteristics of cone transducers are almost never minimum-phase. Ditto the peaks and valleys in the passband response of direct-radiating cabs and most horns. The physical causes of these non-minimum-phase attributes vary, but the result is the same: many characteristics of speaker response are not minimum-phase phenomena.
Thanks. Got more reading to do...

Back
Top Bottom