I've Decided I Hate My Headphones

Another possibility is that we hear certain things in an isolated guitar tone that get masked/covered
up.... or simply are not an issue.... in the context of a full mix.
Certainly possible.
I find I also like more massive HI Cuts than some recommend. Often well below 9000Hz. Depends on the
amp and cab/IR I am using. I have some presets with a PEQ and cutting/blocking as low as 6500Hz.
Leon put the Hi-Cut in the "Pre Amp" section of the Cab Block at 4200Hz. Maybe I just need to do this sort of thing to my favorite presets.

FYI, the guitar I used in my testing to try and duplicate this issue was a PRS PS CU24 (no trem, 58/15 LT TCI pups). 5 way switch was at center. I did NOT play every note on the board, just those B's and a few surrounding ones. Best wishes on resolving this issue!!!
I also used a PRS SC Tremonti SE, and I hear it just as plain as when using my Majesty.

Certainly possible.

Leon put the Hi-Cut in the "Pre Amp" section of the Cab Block at 4200Hz. Maybe I just need to do this sort of thing to my favorite presets.

In fairness, I have seen Leon use multiple methods and frequencies to dial in that Hi Cut in his many, many videos. :)

Maybe he uses a certain method with some amp types, and then other methods with other amp types. Not sure.

Tagging him is often a solid choice, as he will often chime in.

I know I should not like this post..... but I love it. Because I think it echoes a truth.

That truth is that no one who is not required to wear headphones due to circumstances
should ever be burdened with the curse of having to play through headphones.
How timely to read your post. Just got back from rehearsal and using IEMs. Hate it.

That's harsh! :)

Is it for singing/harmony purposes or the beloved silent stage that the world so lovingly embraces??

Is that space capsule for real?? :)

If so the mini fan is a nice touch.
That's a stock photo I grabbed, but it's pretty dang close. The only difference being solid black on the back and sides; the front is all plexiglass. The actual one is very dark and depressing; I seriously have a hard time seeing the guy when he's in there.

Last edited:
You're a good sport. :)

I'd do whatever it took to be able to play live with others---even if that sounds
like that is really testing the limits of those involved. ;)

That's a stock photo I grabbed, but it's pretty dang close. The only difference being solid black on the back and sides; the front is all plexiglass. The actual one is very dark and depressing; I seriously have a hard time seeing the guy when he's in there.
Oh yea, only the bars are missing to keep the animal inside...

I am picturing some unapproving chap roaming around with a dB meter while barking, "PUT MORE FEELING INTO IT!!! :)

You're a good sport. :)

I'd do whatever it took to be able to play live with others---even if that sounds
like that is really testing the limits of those involved. ;)
Oh, I love the playing with others and won't stop so long as I can be a part of it.

Hey there,

Sorry to hear nothing works man...
On my Majesty, I also had to silence the trem springs to eliminate noise?

Cheers 🍻

Hey there @TSJMajesty

I experienced the same problem , but that is now no more an issue when I adjusted this:

Setup->I/O->Input 1/ Instrument. Turn it down.

I had an issue with the presets clipping and Cliff gave this answer. Now that I have adjusted input 1, the noise on the headphones have dissolved too.

Post in thread 'Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.05' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-release-version-19-05.182151/post-2236519

Hope it helps out

Cheers 🍻
After reading this, I remember that I've once done this but forgot to set it again after resetted FM3 due to issue after a Beta Firmware (4.xx something).
And also had preset dependent harsh or fizzy sounds in the highend (also FRFR and monitor, not only headphone related) and try to reduce it with Input EQ and PEQ and other tweaks.
Now I set the Input PAD back to 6dB instead of "0" and its much better and now only sometimes hit the red inidicator with hard palmmutes.

Hey there,

Sorry to hear nothing works man...
On my Majesty, I also had to silence the trem springs to eliminate noise?

Cheers 🍻
Good call, that could be the problem. Also, string chirp behind the neck. Now that I think about it, I had a PRS S2 model that had some annoying sound that sounded like fret buzz. It ended up being the bridge saddle on one of the strings. It had an ever so tiny burr on the saddle. This was a new PRS as well. PRS's are perfect right.....wrong, just like any company you can have issues.

Back
Top Bottom