I've Decided I Hate My Headphones

I always hated playing guitar with headphones . And this is the same with whatever modeler or product. It sound so synthetic brrr. Horrible . same, when I listen to music with them it’s really good. I prefer playing at low volume with a sound I like, better than having a loud shitty sound direct to my ears. 😅

Good call, that could be the problem. Also, string chirp behind the neck. Now that I think about it, I had a PRS S2 model that had some annoying sound that sounded like fret buzz. It ended up being the bridge saddle on one of the strings. It had an ever so tiny burr on the saddle. This was a new PRS as well. PRS's are perfect right.....wrong, just like any company you can have issues.

I have noticed that any oddball noise is more perceptible using my FM3. More so than on a tube amp and especially through phones. I just ignore it since I’m not recording. For awhile it was bugging me but I guess I got used to it.

I really really hope this isn't stepping on any toes, and if so, please feel free to delete, but Amazon has these very earphones for $192.00 right now.

It has been bobbling back and forth between $191 and some change and $194 and some change. Still a HUGE savings over $299.
That's a great price, but 3 recent reviews all reported bad quality with the ear pads. What is it with companies taking a good product, then cheapening out on important parts??? I say that because I bet the pair @Admin M@ has aren't doing that. Hopefully he'll reply as to whether that's true or not. (Or maybe it's just a cheaper version that allows Amazon to sell them for over 1/3 less...?)

That's a great price, but 3 recent reviews all reported bad quality with the ear pads. What is it with companies taking a good product, then cheapening out on important parts??? I say that because I bet the pair @Admin M@ has aren't doing that. Hopefully he'll reply as to whether that's true or not. (Or maybe it's just a cheaper version that allows Amazon to sell them for over 1/3 less...?)
Yeah, I have no experience with them to speak on. Knowing how important they would be to Cliff for what he does, I was just following his recommendation. (For the record, I haven't purchased any yet).

As far as a cheaper version, I definitely won't dispute that is always a possibility, though there are no discernible differences in packing or even the ad, which seems taken straight from the Blue site.

It would definitely be distressing if that were the case, but would be pure bad business, besides the obvious. If there is a cheaper version and that is getting the bad reviews while claiming to be the same version, nobody is gonna buy the $299 pair either. (Based on bad reviews, I mean)

Knowing how important they would be to Cliff for what he does,
It's actually Matt. Cliff is FractalAudio. But yeah, I get your point. Which is kinda why I think it's either a cheaper version, or they changed something since he bought his, because if they were fraying, I doubt he'd be recommending them.

That's a great price, but 3 recent reviews all reported bad quality with the ear pads.
I just bought a replacement set of aftermarket ear pads for my Mo-Fi for about $12. Took all of two minutes to replace them.

I just bought a replacement set of aftermarket ear pads for my Mo-Fi for about $12. Took all of two minutes to replace them.
Well that's good to know. How long did your original ones last? One of the reviews said they started deteriorating pretty quickly.

Well that's good to know. How long did your original ones last? One of the reviews said they started deteriorating pretty quickly.
Mine lasted about five years. Didn't help that I left them where the cats can get to them. My year-old Mix-Fi still looks new.

[…] but Amazon has these very earphones for $192.00 right now.

It has been bobbling back and forth between $191 and some change and $194 and some change. Still a HUGE savings over $299.
Yes. There's a reason for the pricing… they've been dropped from Blue's lineup.

I had some with the bad ear pads, and the outer vinyl peels off at an incredible rate. Within two days there were flakes all over my desk.

I'll look into those. Spare parts for the headphones are no longer available through Blue, probably because they've dropped the headphones.

As far as a cheaper version, I definitely won't dispute that is always a possibility, though there are no discernible differences in packing or even the ad, which seems taken straight from the Blue site.

It would definitely be distressing if that were the case, but would be pure bad business, besides the obvious. If there is a cheaper version and that is getting the bad reviews while claiming to be the same version, nobody is gonna buy the $299 pair either. (Based on bad reviews, I mean)
What I think happened is Blue dropped them from their line and sold the inventory to some clearinghouse who is now selling them.

I also suspect that company is selling units that are not physically up to specifications. Here's why:
  1. Based on Matt's comments I ordered a pair. They came in and sounded really good.
  2. The next day I was so impressed with their sound that I ordered another pair at that price as a spare.
  3. The next day the first pair was losing the vinyl. I checked with Blue's website to see if replacements were available and found out they weren't. I emailed them asking about replacements under warranty and never got a response. Their support site redirects to Logitech's website. I don't know if they just got bought out by Logitech or if they've always been the owning company, but the support and registration are a mess, looking like it's a recent occurrence.
  4. The second pair came in. The switch that is used to turn on the built-in amplifier didn't work. It was loose and only alternated between barely audible and the bass-emphasis setting, which was definitely not useful.
  5. Since Blue hadn't responded (and still hasn't) I went to Amazon and took advantage of their replacement policy and had them both replaced, and intended to continue doing that until I went through their remaining inventory, or got two that worked.
  6. I now have two pairs that work correctly. I shouldn't have had to do that and I'm leary of purchasing from Blue again because of the quality issues.
That said, they sound great. Comparing them to my Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, I'll take the Mix-Fi for sound quality. Even with compensating GEQ or PEQ blocks, the other two don't sound as good.

The Mix-Fi are heavier than either of the others, uncomfortably so until I got used to how they adjust and now they're not bad for long sessions, however, they're still not as comfortable. I tolerate them because of the sound, though I occasionally grab the others just to compare and contrast everything about them.

Would I recommend them? Given the above issues, and in light of their sound, I'll give a cautious recommendation if you get them at that price. They do sound good, real good, and I feel safe using them to adjust EQ in presets, something I would not do without GEQ or PEQ blocks with the others.

I had some with the bad ear pads, and the outer vinyl peels off at an incredible rate. Within two days there were flakes all over my desk.
That sounds like something possibly due to improper storage, like maybe in a really hot warehouse, maybe when they sold off that inventory.
I'll look into those. Spare parts for the headphones are no longer available through Blue, probably because they've dropped the headphones.

What I think happened is Blue dropped them from their line and sold the inventory to some clearinghouse who is now selling them.

I also suspect that company is selling units that are not physically up to specifications. Here's why:
  1. Based on Matt's comments I ordered a pair. They came in and sounded really good.
  2. The next day I was so impressed with their sound that I ordered another pair at that price as a spare.
  3. The next day the first pair was losing the vinyl. I checked with Blue's website to see if replacements were available and found out they weren't. I emailed them asking about replacements under warranty and never got a response. Their support site redirects to Logitech's website. I don't know if they just got bought out by Logitech or if they've always been the owning company, but the support and registration are a mess, looking like it's a recent occurrence.
  4. The second pair came in. The switch that is used to turn on the built-in amplifier didn't work. It was loose and only alternated between barely audible and the bass-emphasis setting, which was definitely not useful.
  5. Since Blue hadn't responded (and still hasn't) I went to Amazon and took advantage of their replacement policy and had them both replaced, and intended to continue doing that until I went through their remaining inventory, or got two that worked.
  6. I now have two pairs that work correctly. I shouldn't have had to do that and I'm leary of purchasing from Blue again because of the quality issues.
That said, they sound great. Comparing them to my Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, I'll take the Mix-Fi for sound quality. Even with compensating GEQ or PEQ blocks, the other two don't sound as good.

The Mix-Fi are heavier than either of the others, uncomfortably so until I got used to how they adjust and now they're not bad for long sessions, however, they're still not as comfortable. I tolerate them because of the sound, though I occasionally grab the others just to compare and contrast everything about them.

Would I recommend them? Given the above issues, and in light of their sound, I'll give a cautious recommendation if you get them at that price. They do sound good, real good, and I feel safe using them to adjust EQ in presets, something I would not do without GEQ or PEQ blocks with the others.
That's all good info! At least Amazon's return/replacement policy is very good. So good in fact that they once replaced an automotive part before I had even gotten into the UPS drop-off site to send the defective one back..., and sent me an electric chain saw replacement, twice, and didn't even want the other ones back, even after I figured out that I had assumed I knew how the safety mechanism worked (yep, I didn't RTFM, lol!), and there was nothing wrong with the first 2, and even after I informed them about it, they still told me to keep them!

That sounds like something possibly due to improper storage, like maybe in a really hot warehouse, maybe when they sold off that inventory.
Possibly, but the vinyl feels different in the other three pairs I looked at than on the first pair. I suspect it was a bad production run that got passed on to whoever got everything.

Blue is dropping all of their headphones and will no longer manufacture them.

Blue headphone support is now handled by Logitech, and is a far cry from Blue's excellent in-house customer support.

Spare parts for the headphones are no longer available through Blue, probably because they've dropped the headphones.
Replacement earpads were never available from Blue. That's always been an aftermarket thing.

That said, they sound great.
They do, indeed.

I grew up with Koss Pro-4AA's, which are almost half a pound heavier than the Mo-Fi's. So the weight doesn't bother me at all. :)

Possibly, but the vinyl feels different in the other three pairs I looked at than on the first pair. I suspect it was a bad production run that got passed on to whoever got everything.
Ya know, this makes me think a little further... Here, we've got a recommendation from a pro, in the business, you check out their website and everything seems really good, but you do some further digging (like I started with the reviews on Amazon, thankfully they exist), and the build quality becomes questionable. Then, through some various comments on a forum, you get to what certainly appears to be the crux of the matter, and realize, ehh, maybe not something you wanna even try.
It just sucks, and you realize you may have narrowly avoided pissing away $300.

I DO NOT mind paying extra for quality, and longevity. In fact, that's what I try to do. But how can one truly know? I guess it really is caveat emptor, and ya need to do a search for pretty much anything these days, to see what people's experience has been with said product.

I grew up with Koss Pro-4AA's, which are almost half a pound heavier than the Mo-Fi's. So the weight doesn't bother me at all. :)

Yeah, I had a couple of pairs of those too, but technology should be moving forward at a faster rate. I think Blue should have used carbon fiber.

Back
Top Bottom