I've Decided I Hate My Headphones

That is not true. Get a pair of Audeze LCD-2 and feel the difference. But that comes with a price...
With this type of headphone and specifically the Audeze LCD-2 brand/model, is open or closed back better? Or is the difference just the amount of sound leakage that will occur.

With this type of headphone and specifically the Audeze LCD-2 brand/model, is open or closed back better? Or is the difference just the amount of sound leakage that will occur.

The Audeze LCD-2 is open. Open back headphones are more accurate than closed cans. I would never use a closed can for critical tasks like tweaking or mixing.

Generally speaking, closed back for tracking (with mics), open back for everything else! When tracking with microphones, you don't want the headphones to bleed into your track. When mixing or listening, the open backs give you a bigger and more accurate sound stage.

I have been using headphones since the introduction of the POD :)

It was not by choice but just because I could not make loud noise in the house at any time day or night.(Handicapped son)

I tried a lot of headphones and realized good sound is very subjective when you get high quality ones. You get used to a Brand etc...

My main ones are AKG K712

When I do not want to hear my Semi Hollow or just want to play at a very low volume I use my NEUMANN NDH 20

I am just started to use Monitors since I bought some ADAM T7V

However I still prefer my headphones LOL!

I hear tube clipping artifacts in my phones all the time. Drop 58x, not too bad of phones. The same things I hear on phones I can hear in my speaker setup too, but are more prominent in my ears with phones. There is no standing off axis with phones. So the highs are super clear. On my speakers I prefer to not be directly in front of the evil tweeter which is the bane of FRFRs existence. I just don’t love phones with the Fractal. I use them out of necessity. It’s possible there is nothing wrong with your setup. Maybe use a GEQ setup for phones to make the experience more enjoyable.

I hear tube clipping artifacts in my phones all the time.

That's why I simply can't do headphones when just playing solo guitar. Fortunately, I don't have to.
Not as bad using phones when listening to a fully mixed and mastered recording, or even a full band
demo.

I also am blessed to not have to use IEMs in any band I have ever played in.

There's just that thing when you combine a close-mic'd IR and headphones that makes me
sad for people who HAVE TO use cans all the time. ;)

That's why I simply can't do headphones when just playing solo guitar. Fortunately, I don't have to.
Not as bad using phones when listening to a fully mixed and mastered recording, or even a full band
demo.

There's just that thing when you combine a close-mic'd IR and headphones that makes me
Me too.
I also never used or have to use IEM and glad about it, I don't like the stange feeling not hearing the room or stage sound and feeling like I am at other location and not really here.

demo.

Ha. I’m forced to use IEMs almost everytime due to silent stage requirements. The key is to create that space in the IEM output, with a reverb or cab room.
I also have a mimiq and run a dimension chorus on cleans. Stereo effects on IEMs are an amazing experience.

I originally bought and liked the beyerdynamic DT770s and liked them. But now I’m not so sure. I’m not sure what the eq curve is like for those but they always feel like they soften my sound somehow; sort of like it is a bit less attack or punchy. I know Cliff and others have recommended the blue mo-fi and I just might give those a try. Personally I feel like switching things up for your ears and brain makes practicing and playing that much more fun. I use new presets often when practicing just to keep things fresh for my ears. Live I stick to what works generally. Is there a new name for the blue mo-fi set? Anywhere to get them cheaper? Any cons to those?

I had a similiar issue with DT770pro. I love that headphones in general, but for tweaking guitartones.
I blamed the currenty new FW, them Inrealized it was the headphones. I tried many, But sennheiser HD650 solved my problem.
Starting to feel the same way. Liked them a lot at first but lately I feel they just dull my tone for lead guitar type stuff

I don't have headphones suited for the Axe. I don't really want to spend a grand on them. I don't have to use them playing at home, so I said not now, probably not ever. But I would like to have a good pair for listening to mixes. I don't have high end monitors, so I don't know what I am missing or could adjust.

I know I should not like this post..... but I love it. Because I think it echoes a truth.

That truth is that no one who is not required to wear headphones due to circumstances
should ever be burdened with the curse of having to play through headphones.

Ditch the phones! Get a nice set of monitors and use your Mesa setup.

I know that is not what you asked, but that is the only truly happy way forward long-term. :)
Thank you for solving this for me. That's what my gut told me, so I didn't spend > $1k on a pair, just to have headphones. So I can spend twice that on monitors now, thank you! 😂

Back
Top Bottom