I've Decided I Hate My Headphones

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
I've noticed a trend with myself when it comes to gear: The better I get, the more discerning I become.

My first musical instrument was a plastic, school-rental clarinet that started to limit my progress after about a year (I got really good, really fast.) So my parents bought me a pro-level one.

Loved my ADA MP-1/Mesa Stereo 50/50/2-4x12 Marshall cabs rig at first, until I wanted more diverse tones, and just couldn't get them.

I'm over the moon with my Majesty guitars, until I improved to the point of doing super-fast position changes, and the glossy finish on the neck started grabbing my hand and tripping me up. (But that was an easy fix!)

And I loved hearing my Axe3 thru my DT880 Pro's, with the sound of the spacious stereo effects right into my ears, until I started really trying to dial in a tight lead tone, so I could focus on getting my fast runs clean and accurate.

When I first noticed it, I applied a headphone EQ correction curve, but lately I've realized it has nothing to do with the part of the tone I'm hearing, and hate. It's sounds like some type of clipping, that presents itself as a buzzy sound, that happens every time I hit a note with any amount of gain. My action is quite low, so at first I thought it was string buzz, especially since it's part of the attack of the note, and it dies off quickly. But after playing unplugged last night, I realized it's not string buzz, since string buzz only happens when I hit notes really hard.

I can't dial it out. Period. And it is really annoying! Maybe they're actually defective, and I'm just now picking up on this because my I'm starting to get much pickier about using a tight tone. I freaking love playing with delay, but I'm even turning that off to practice these fast licks. ;)

So last night I played through my Mesa 20/20 and 2 Recto cabs, and while not 100% gone, the tone is so much clearer, that I'm thinking about buying a different headphone, as I really enjoy playing through them. The amped rig does sound amazing, and for what I play, many of the different types of amp models I use still present their own unique character. The thing feeds back at mid-level volumes, which is really cool-sounding, but I still want the option to not disturb anyone else who is home, whenever I want to play.

If anyone else has these headphones, can you please dial up any high-gain tone, and hit a B, e.g., on the low E, and listen to see if you hear this buzzing that I'm talking about. It feels (sounds) like it's, like on "top" of the transient (the initial attack of the note), like it's separate from the note, sounds digital, and dies out way before the note itself. And to be sure, I know what the characteristic attack of an overdriven tone sounds like, and this ain't it!

And btw, I changed guitars, cords, batteries, and even reset my Axe3 (now on 19.06B), and turned the "Input 1" and "Input Gain" levels in Global Settings all the way down, just to be sure, and that "buzz" is still there. I kinda hate it when I get "better" than the gear I'm using, but whether it's a guitar, clarinet, tennis racket or even skis, I guess that's part of becoming better at whatever it is you're doing.

And if anyone has a suggestion of where I should be looking for another set of headphones around the $300 range, I'm all ears (pun perhaps intended?) But if you wouldn't mind listening to yours very carefully for this "buzz" that I've described, I'd really appreciate it! (Btw, I'm certain it's not a preset issue.)

Thanks very much!

I know I should not like this post..... but I love it. Because I think it echoes a truth.

That truth is that no one who is not required to wear headphones due to circumstances
should ever be burdened with the curse of having to play through headphones.

Ditch the phones! Get a nice set of monitors and use your Mesa setup.

I know that is not what you asked, but that is the only truly happy way forward long-term. :)

Ok, I'm trying to rule out which piece of gear is causing the issue, before I just go buy another headphone set.
I connected them to my laptop, and listened to some Liquid Tension Experiment, with all levels at max volume, and they sound fantastic! No clipping at all.
They're 250 ohm phones. Is it possible they just don't play well with the Axe3, the Axe drives phones too hard, it's a design flaw, or a problem with my Axe?

To listen to music thru theses headphones that sounds great, yet terrible through the Axe3, is frustrating. Like with anything technology-related these days, it can be really hard to narrow down the actual culprit.

Any ideas?

What happens if you play the LTE recording through the FM3 off the computer? Sounds good or bad?

What happens if you play the LTE recording through the FM3 off the computer? Sounds good or bad?
Well, when I have the Axe hooked up to the computer and running Axe Edit, everything that comes from the computer goes through the headphones (plugged into the Axe), and music sounds exactly the same as when I plugged the phones directly into the laptop.

I know I should not like this post..... but I love it. Because I think it echoes a truth.

That truth is that no one who is not required to wear headphones due to circumstances
should ever be burdened with the curse of having to play through headphones.

Ditch the phones! Get a nice set of monitors and use your Mesa setup.

I know that is not what you asked, but that is the only truly happy way forward long-term. :)

That is not true. Get a pair of Audeze LCD-2 and feel the difference. But that comes with a price...

I have the DT990 Pro (250Hz), so i will give them a try this evening with what you are saying! I have been using my AKG 712 Pros largely due to the cloud like feel on my head when I am on phones!! Full report in the next 24 hours (although from a slightly different model by Beyer)!!!

I had a similiar issue with DT770pro. I love that headphones in general, but for tweaking guitartones.
I blamed the currenty new FW, them Inrealized it was the headphones. I tried many, But sennheiser HD650 solved my problem.

I have a pair of Equator D8's and CLR's and I like the sound on those.
With my Sennheiser HD600's, I hear something that I can only describe as "digital" or "processed", not the smooth sound as I'm hearing from the speakers.
Strange thing is that when comparing music on the HD600 and my Equators, they sound very similar.

I had a similiar issue with DT770pro. I love that headphones in general, but for tweaking guitartones.
I blamed the currenty new FW, them Inrealized it was the headphones. I tried many, But sennheiser HD650 solved my problem.
I'm using the same and I got the issue that their cable picks up static discharge from my chair and paralyzing the membranes. Still, I like them for their clarity. What is it about them you think negatively affects the perception of your guitar tone?

Is use AKG K271 MKII but only if not possible to play at least at bedroom level.
There are OK and I use them with correction curves but prefer playing via monitors or FRFR at home.

I believe Axelman8 has the right answer here (via Cliff). On my DT990 Pro 250's, they sounded fine hitting all notes include a fretted B on the low and high E's, but if I go to "Input 1" and turn up the "Output Level" up about 5db, I start to hear a hiss sound on that note that I did not hear on the other notes I plucked around on! I know I have gone through my presets to try to balance things at each available point (Input, Amp, Cab, Output, etc.) and it took me some time to make sure that none were clipping/pushing envelopes and I had proper level once I hit the Output block. It's a balance act throughout the chain, and one bad link of course can ruin it all (and possibly make you think it is your headphones ;~))!

@TSJMajesty I have a set of DT880 Pro's and I don't hear anything like you describe.
I even tried as @Moondog Wily suggested. It was much louder but no noise here.
You didn't mention if you had tried other guitars out and had the same thing happen.
Don't the Majesty guitars have a built in active boost? Maybe something going on there? Like at a certain freq (B Note) something is vibrating and causing the noise? If the phones sound fine with music and the noise is only with guitar through the axe then......it has to be either the guitar or possibly something in your preset. Does it do it on any preset?

@TSJMajesty I have a set of DT880 Pro's and I don't hear anything like you describe.
You didn't mention if you had tried other guitars out and had the same thing happen.
Don't the Majesty guitars have a built in active boost? Maybe something going on there? Like at a certain freq (B Note) something is vibrating and causing the noise? If the phones sound fine with music and the noise is only with guitar through the axe then......it has to be either the guitar or possibly something in your preset. Does it do it on any preset?
Yeah, I did try different guitars (I mentioned it), and I just used that particular note as an example (the riff I've been practicing lately starts on that note.) And it happens on any preset with some gain. Are your DT880's the 250 ohm version? As I recall, there were 3 versions of the 880's.
Setup->I/O->Input 1/ Instrument. Turn it down.

Post in thread 'Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.05' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-release-version-19-05.182151/post-2236519
Yep, I turned those levels all the way down (I mentioned it.) And I've had this issue from before FW19.

I'm using the same and I got the issue that their cable picks up static discharge from my chair and paralyzing the membranes. Still, I like them for their clarity. What is it about them you think negatively affects the perception of your guitar tone?
I tried moving away from my chair; still there.
What I don't like about it, is it muddies up fast runs. Plus, now that I'm focused on that sound, it annoys me on any music I play.

Maybe I'm just getting really picky about my tone, but I just plugged into my Mesa amp & cabs, and the sound I'm hearing is in fact there as well. I suppose I didn't notice it the other night because, one, I wanted it to be gone, and two, I was playing pretty loud. Maybe somehow my perception of it lessens as volume increases.

I noticed this issue a while back, probably shortly after I got the headphones, but wasn't as focused on it because I was still in the "honeymoon phase" with the Axe3. I guess I just figured it was a characteristic of using headphones.

But after seeing some newer threads come up here recently, about, I think one guy likened it to "paper rattling against a speaker cone," and another thread as well, I wanted to figure out what was causing this issue, because like I said, the more I get used to a piece of gear, the more I start to zero in on anything that seems like it's not working for me as I want/need it to. (But I thought mine was specific to headphones, or I may have posted in one of those threads.)

Maybe this is in fact, a characteristic of tones with gain, that I just don't like, but I swear when I listen to @Cooper Carter's videos wherein he uses his Majesty and the Petrucci Rig preset, I don't hear this "fizz." And e.g., in Sc1, Crunch Me Under, the high-cut in the Cab Block (where LT said to use the cut-see below) is still set at 10K!

One thing I haven't done yet is to fire up my other amps. I still have my ADA MP-1, a DR, and Tri Axis, along with 2 other Mesa stereo power amps. But they're all put away, and I so dig the convenience of just switching on the Axe3! But I guess that's the next thing I really should do, since I still hear it when using the III thru my rig.

Oh, and to be fair, I did run through one of @2112's videos about using the Axe with headphones, and while using the cuts he advised did lessen the fizz, it didn't totally remove it. But it did help. Maybe that's really what this is all about, but I'd think using a factory preset named "Petrucci Rig", with the same guitar he uses, wouldn't have this "buzz" at the attack of notes, that's more pronounced the lower those notes are.

I honestly wish I owned a JPIIC amp like @My name is mud, so I could do a side-by-side comparison. But I'll see how it sounds with my other amps.

Thanks for the comments guys. I know my posts are long, but I'm trying to cover any/all relevant ground here, because you know how we guitarists can be when it comes to tone. Hell, it's probably the main reason we bought Fractal in the first place. And once you get focused (obsessed?) with a particularly "unpleasant" part of your tone, it can drive you crazy. I once returned a new $3200 Mesa Road King & 4x12 Recto Cab because it had some annoying part of its gain that drove me crazy, and wasn't present in my MP-1!

Another possibility is that we hear certain things in an isolated guitar tone that get masked/covered
up.... or simply are not an issue.... in the context of a full mix.

Just a thought.

I find I also like more massive HI Cuts than some recommend. Often well below 9000Hz. Depends on the
amp and cab/IR I am using. I have some presets with a PEQ and cutting/blocking as low as 6500Hz.

Had a 12 hour flight. Wore my Blue Sadie phones almost all the time. Kept environment noise to a minimum and music and movie sounded great.

FYI, the guitar I used in my testing to try and duplicate this issue was a PRS PS CU24 (no trem, 58/15 LT TCI pups). 5 way switch was at center. I did NOT play every note on the board, just those B's and a few surrounding ones. Best wishes on resolving this issue!!!

Back
Top Bottom