IV anywhere on the horizon?

I came across this on Google when searching for Full Res IRs.... under the question "Is the Fractal Axe-Fx III worth it?". It brings up the Neural Cortex kind of abruptly when talking about Fractal's lack of profiling... Very subjective and decided on profiling an AC30? Usability is better on the Quad? I bet Fractal offers more settings and detail. I A/B'd my Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 and a Mark V on all kinds of tones from them with my FM3 before I even got an Axe-FX III, and I could tell a difference. The FM3 through FRFR speakers sounded better to me! That's totally subjective too, and I dialed it in myself noting differences between my amp's settings and the Fractal to achieve similar tone. So they don't even mention how they dialed in the Fractal, which is kind of a big deal. And that was after I had just done a fresh retube and break in period on both amps and they were sounding great. Tubes were hot, but my point is the settings on the Fractal were done by ear, and to my ear it even reached new territory the amp didn't. This article was like an advertisement which makes me suspicious that someone got free gear or paid or it isn't a genuine article but was written by Neural DSP's marketing department. The web has become like that somewhat anyway.

The point is to get a guitar tone, not make a replica of an amp. That doesn't appeal to me. The Fractal gives me dream-like tones in a wide variety of genres and is more like another creative outlet for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is currently some open source machine learning profiling/capturing/whatever you want to call it, being discussed on tgp, it’s in the early stages though but sounds good. The videos give waveform comparisons, etc.

Still on the technical side not currently plug-and-play. Potentially might not be long before someone slaps it into a vst however.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...odeler-v0-2-open-sourced-amp-modeler.2366776/
There's an interesting chart in one of the video - the frequency response comparison between his algorithm and the real thing looks pretty spot on. ()
I guess Cliff has once uploaded the comparison between AXE and the real 5150, which I can't remember where it is. Wonder how that compares with this chart.

1654871270143.png

1654871299024.png

I just want to be able to run at least 3 amps simultaneously in future hardware. Dual-amped dirty rig and a clean amp all set up for truly gapless switching. I doubt it’ll happen. Seems that whenever new processing power becomes available it’s diverted into increasing the power of existing modelling rather than just giving us more. Oh well.

I just want to be able to run at least 3 amps simultaneously in future hardware. Dual-amped dirty rig and a clean amp all set up for truly gapless switching. I doubt it’ll happen. Seems that whenever new processing power becomes available it’s diverted into increasing the power of existing modelling rather than just giving us more. Oh well.

You never know what’s in store for the future. So many user requests have been implemented.

Did I read somewhere that Cliff had tried it, but aliasing was too much? Anyway, even if he implemented it for turbo only… remember the epic fiasco when full res was not immediately available on mark I’s?

Did I read somewhere that Cliff had tried it, but aliasing was too much? Anyway, even if he implemented it for turbo only… remember the epic fiasco when full res was not immediately available on mark I’s?
I believe so. My point isn’t really that it’s not possible now. As much as I want it to be, I obviously accept that it means the quality of amp sounds would have to be reduced to an unacceptable degree and I’ve made my peace with that. My point is that in future iterations/hardware/etc, I’d like it if this was one of things focused on, so that we could get more amps running in one preset at once, but also keep the quality of the sound produced as high as it is now, if not even higher thanks to developments in DSP/whatever it is that makes the amps go brrr

I'm a hardware engineer for my company, and I can tell you for certain things are at a standstill at Analog Devices. We have multiple programs at risk because of their parts as well as some other big IC makers. Things, on our end, are improving slightly but not even close to what we need. I'm talking lead times are now 26 weeks versus 36 month in some cases, and that's estimated.

I'm a hardware engineer for my company, and I can tell you for certain things are at a standstill at Analog Devices. We have multiple programs at risk because of their parts as well as some other big IC makers. Things, on our end, are improving slightly but not even close to what we need. I'm talking lead times are now 26 weeks versus 36 month in some cases, and that's estimated.
as this trouble lingers I wonder if some companies may not be able to survive having lots of demand for their product but not being able to manufacture it in sufficiemt quantity or not being able to keep any profit margins as parts prices increase.

Last edited:

You could always run a second Axe-FX III. That way you could run four amps simultaneously.

as this trouble lingers I wonder if some companies may not be able to survive having lots
of demand for
their product but not being able to manufacture it in sufficient quantity or not being able to keep any profit margins as parts
prices increase.
This is a real possibility in my opinion. Another thing is some of these chip manufacturers are taking advantage of their customers. For example something I have experienced several times...."we can get that part expedited if you are willing to pay a premium price to move up the list". Sounds and likely is shady. We all of a sudden have what you need if you are willing to to 5x the normal price. Very frustrating.

I call this the ”random shit thread that will never die”. Lol
Agreed.
It’s has a lot of everything... from politics to ‘I want / need more blah blah blah’.

First off... wtf else do (we) really ‘need’?
You already have a serious piece of gear if you’re here. More than anyone can ever tap into. The big picture is YOU. How YOU play. All the sounds and programability are there.

With the FM9 & Turbo released not long ago ... are ‘we’ really expecting the 4 to be out by the end of the shitty year?

Will that finally make everything awesome... regarding your tone, chops and compositional skills? Oh... and we can’t forget satisfaction. Actually... no.

I only wish I had this magic box 35 years ago.

But, however and whenever it shall be... technology WILL advance, and what we have now will no longer sound legit anymore. But... you’ll still sound and play the same.

Funny how that works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom